- State concisely and clearly the topic of your message in the subject line. This allows members to respond more appropriately to your posting and makes it easier for them find relevant content when they search the archives by subject.
- Own your own words. You own your own words and, by the same token, should obtain permission before using the words of others. This means that you should assume that no one will copy and share part or all of your message(s) by e-mail, on a web page, or otherwise use them without your permission. You shouldn't do any of these things yourself, nor should you post material that is protected by copyright—such as images or complete articles copied from another source—unless you are the copyright holder or have the author's permission. Fair use allows the posting of small excerpts; posting a web link to the full article, when possible, is encouraged.
- Safeguard privacy. ASHA Community participation is limited to ASHA professional members and staff, who are expected to exercise good judgment in sharing personally identifiable or other sensitive information. E-mail and online forums are inherently insecure communication platforms, and ASHA cannot guarantee that your comments will remain private. Therefore, when in doubt, refrain from sharing the information.
- Stay on topic. Your comments should be relevant to the area or topic where they are placed. If they are not, they may be moved or, in some cases, even deleted.
- Be professional. Discussion should be professional, not political. While issue advocacy that relates to the professions is acceptable, please refrain from posting partisan political messages.
- Follow guidelines for research surveys. If you are interested in surveying members for research purposes, please review the available options for surveying ASHA members before you post your survey.
- Do not post commercial messages. The ASHA Community is intended for noncommercial use. Sharing recommendations for products and services for which you have no financial interest is permitted. Independent individuals can use our dedicated discussion for seeking or offering professional materials. However, advertising products or services in which you have a financial or commercial interest is not permitted. This includes, but is not limited to,
Replying to a specific inquiry or request for recommendations is permitted for commercial representatives, but you must disclose your financial interest. ASHA offers a variety of marketing opportunities for promoting events, products, and services. ASHA has a dedicated Career Center that can be used by job seekers and by companies or institutions advertising new positions. Jobs advertised through the Career Center are also posted to ASHA's Facebook page and to an ASHA Careers Twitter account.
- job openings
- Remember that ASHA respects the community. We understand that people make mistakes, and we will not immediately ban someone from the community following a single violation. Rather, ASHA follows a graduated enforcement policy for these guidelines.
- First Violation—A written warning is sent to the member who violates the guidelines. Depending on the severity of the infringement, the message may be deleted.
- Second Violation—A written warning is sent to the member who violates the guidelines. The member's ASHA Community account is put into moderation, and messages from his/her account are reviewed before they are posted online.
- Third Violation—The violating post is not approved. The member's ASHA Community access is disabled for 6 months.