STEP Mentees

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Hello Everyone!

• 1.  Hello Everyone!

Posted 10-04-2015 01:35 AM

Hello to all my fellow STEP mentees!

I am super excited to be chosen for this experience. I look forward to networking and taking full advantage of this opportunity. I am a post bacc Speech and Hearing student at ASU. Feel free to reach out to me via email (alicelwilliams75@gmail.com) or social media (Twitter: dtowncougar)

Alice :)

------------------------------
    Alice Williams
    Peoria, AZ

• 2.  RE: Hello Everyone!

Posted 10-04-2015 10:59 AM
    Hi Alice, 
    Nice meeting you. My name is Digna Almanzar and I'm also a post bacc student at Lehman College. 

Sent from my iPhone

• 3.  RE: Hello Everyone!

Posted 10-04-2015 12:19 PM

Hi!

I just recently went back for another bacc degree,long story but nice to meet both of you all! Have any of you thought about doing grad online?

• 4.  RE: Hello Everyone!

Posted 10-04-2015 12:27 PM

Hello everyone! My name is Nicole Mason. I am a graduate student at Western Kentucky University with a B.S. in special education. I live in Georgia so I attend grad school online, so yes Brittany, there is at least one person who had thought of doing it online. Feel free to ask me anything you would like to know about the program. I look forward to engaging with you all.

Nicole Mason
    Jesup, GA

• 5.  RE: Hello Everyone!

Posted 10-04-2015 01:22 PM

Hi!

My Leslie Ledee I'm from the South of Puerto Rico, a town call Guayama. I'm excited to be enrolled in the Mentees program. I feel is going to be a good experience.  

Brittany, I have decided take graduate studies at Rocky Mountain University via distance in a blended learning model, which includes online and onsite. It is  a system designed for SLP who wants to continue working professionally while also pursing a clinical doctorates. I really recommend the program!!!  

Leslie Ledee Lozada
    Guayama, PR

• 6.  RE: Hello Everyone!

Posted 10-04-2015 12:55 PM

Hello everyone!

I look forward to connecting and meeting my fellow mentees. I'm a graduate student at MGH now. Prior to this, I was a post bacc Communication sciences and disorders student at CUNY Queens College. I dabbled a bit in a Physical therapy program before switching over to speech.

What are your interests in so far? My dream job would be to be at an acute care hospital in New York and to be working in a NICU. I'm really enjoying feeding therapy with young kids though. It'd be nice if I could do that part-time too.

I'm a mentee looking for some advice on getting hospital work, but I'd love to answer any questions about grad school in general.

Dawn

Dawn Lau
    Somerville, MA

• 7.  RE: Hello Everyone!

Posted 10-04-2015 01:00 PM

That's pretty awesome Dawn. I used to work in PICU fourteen years ago when I was in the air force and occasionally they would send me up to the NICU. That's where I learned about speech. I wish I had the opportunity to get into some type of feeding therapy. It would help enhance my  comprehension of swallowing because as an online grad student this is an area you don't get much hands on with. 

Nicole Mason
    Jesup, GA

• 8.  RE: Hello Everyone!

Posted 10-04-2015 01:12 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm Ruchi, and I'm a grad student at CSU East Bay, presently in my school internship but really excited to do a medical one. I'm interested in voice disorders and swallowing and have a background in classical singing, which I trained in before transferring to CSD. Look forward to chatting with all of you!

• 9.  RE: Hello Everyone!

Posted 10-04-2015 01:45 PM

Hi everyone! My name is Jill, and I am a second year MS student at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. I graduated with a BA in Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences, and Psychology from the University of Connecticut. I am currently in my third practicum rotation - in the spring, I was in an elementary school, this summer I worked at UNC Children's hospital in the NICU/PICU and outpatient feeding team, and I am currently working in a Level 1 trauma hospital in adult acute care. I plan to work in pediatric acute care as a NICU/PICU feeding therapist, although I am very content with my adult acute experience and would be open to more work in this area. Looking forward to talking with you all!

Jillian Kowalski
    Chapel Hill, NC

• 10.  RE: Hello Everyone!

Posted 10-04-2015 02:09 PM

Hiya!

I'm Olivia! I received my Bachelor's of Science in Communication Disorders in May 2015 at Marshall University in Huntington, WV. I also minored in Psychology. I have returned to Marshall and am now a first year graduate student.  

Speech therapy was not my first choice. My mother actually got me into it four years ago but I now I can't imagine doing anything else! I know I'm on the right track! 

My professional interests are quite broad right now so one of my graduate school goals is to narrow those down! I seem to be leaning more towards the adult population though, but I am still keeping an open mind! I am very fascinated by stuttering, voice disorders, aphasia, high functioning ASD (formerly known as Asperger's), the gerontology population in general, AACs, cleft palates, just to name a few...I know there's more! Most of those have a lot of counseling aspects to them and I love that about this field, since I'm a bit of a psychology nerd! 

In my clinical practicum, I have been placed in a group that works with MU's international students on their accent modification. I have found that to be quite rewarding! I didn't think I had a good ear for articulation disorders, and I still don't, but it's great to finally find myself getting the hang of it, slowly and surely!

I wish you all the best of luck and success in your graduate studies and practical endeavors! 

Sincerely,

Olivia R. Hughes

Olivia Hughes
    Huntington, WV

• 11.  RE: Hello Everyone!

Posted 10-05-2015 01:01 PM

Hi everyone!

I am a first year graduate student at the University of Georgia. My interests are a little broad at the moment, but I am primarily interested in voice and neurogenic disorders. I'm currently in my clinical practicum at our University's clinic, and I am excited to start up internships next semester! I also have a job teaching pragmatic social communication skills to an adult with high-functioning autism and I love it!

I notice a lot of you guys are still in your undergraduate studies, so if any of you want any peer-to-peer advice about grad school or the application process don't be afraid to bug me.

Good luck, and I'm looking forward to starting this experience :) 

Hunter N. McFeron
    M.Ed. Communication Science and Disorders
    The University of Georgia '17
    (678) 983 0234

• 12.  RE: Hello Everyone!

Posted 10-05-2015 02:21 PM
    Hi Everyone!

My name is Gabriela Sandoval and I am a second year graduate student at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley. For my externship I am currently placed at an outpatient rehab and I'm loving it. I'm still not too sure whether I want to work with adults or children, but right now I'm loving the geriatric population. My interests in the field include AAC, Fluency, and ASD. Good luck to everyone and I'm excited to continue to get to know you all and hear about your experiences.

Gabby

Sent from my iPhone

• 13.  RE: Hello Everyone!

Posted 10-05-2015 09:40 PM

Hello everyone!

My name is Rachel Countermine.  I am a graduate speech-language pathologist (SLP) student at Kean University in NJ.  I was in law enforcement for six years before changing careers.  I have a BA in biology/chemistry from Kean University.  I also have a MS in Forensic Science.  Spring 2016 will be my last semester (six credits to go)!  I am currently at my child placement.  I work with disabled children in a private school.  I am hoping I will complete my adult placement at the local VA medical centers.

My husband inspired me to help veterans.  He served with the United States Marine Corps for eight years and was deployed three times.  I want to devote my SLP career in treating veterans, especially those with mild traumatic brain injury (mTBI).  I would also like to pursue a PhD so I can do research on this topic.  My thesis is based on veterans with mTBI and an assessment tool used to detect subtle cognitive linguistic impairments.

Please fell free to email me at correar@kean.edu

Rachel Countermine
    East Hanover, NJ

• 14.  RE:Hello Everyone!

Posted 10-07-2015 01:07 AM
    Hi guys!
    I'm a little late to the introduction game, but here goes...I'm a post-Bach student at Brooklyn College and I'm almost done with pre-reqs! Yay! This will also be my 2nd career. I was a musical theater actress for a long time and wanted a career that would allow me to stay put for a while but also utilize my knowledge of voice and speech. I'm definitely hooked. I believe Olivia, you said you were a psych nerd and I am as well so I'm currently all over the place with my interests.

Thank you for the advice from the graduate students as well. I'm really looking forward to this program! Nice to "meet" everyone.

---------------------------------
    Heather Weneck
    Brooklyn, NY
    ---------------------------------

• 15.  RE: Hello Everyone!

Posted 10-04-2015 01:45 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm a mid-life career changer who returned to school back in May for a 2nd bachelor's in CSD through Utah State online. My 3rd child was diagnosed in February at age 6 with progressive bilateral mild-sloping-to-profound hearing loss and had a previous diagnosis of autism. My professional goal is to become a SLP and certified auditory-verbal therapist for the deaf & hard-of-hearing.

It's a bit scary to be thinking about grad school when I'm pushing 40, but my mother-in-law got her doctorate when she was in her mid-50's so I know it can be done :-)

Claire Hazlett
    Pleasant Hill, CA

• 16.  RE: Hello Everyone!

Posted 10-04-2015 05:05 PM

Hi everyone,

I am a senior in the undergraduate Communication Disorders program at Western Kentucky University. I'm also a double major in Spanish. I hope to attend graduate school next fall and become a bilingual speech-language pathologist. My top choices are Vanderbilt, Indiana (STEPS/bilingual program), Texas Christian (bilingual program), and UT Dallas. If any of you attend one of these programs, I'd LOVE to hear about your experience (the good and the bad). 

Best of luck to you all this semester!

Kelly Fussman
    Hendersonville, TN

• 17.  RE: Hello Everyone!

Posted 10-04-2015 05:29 PM

Hello everyone!

I am a senior in the SUNY Plattsburgh communication disorders and sciences program. I'm starting my applications to grad school, and still figuring out what I want to do with my life. I transferred to this major one year before graduating with a degree in Psychology and it's been the best choice for me.

I look forward to getting to know you all!

Abigail Finley
    Gouverneur, NY

• 18.  RE: Hello Everyone!

Posted 10-04-2015 05:39 PM
    Hi everyone!
    I am excited to be back for a second mentee year.
    I am post bacc grad student at University of Central Missouri in Warrensburg MO and will walk in December. To say I am excited is an understatement.
    I am in my school externship this semester and am taking my last two classes.
    I love the field I am about to enter as I am a non-traditional student (53) and this is my second master's. My goal is to work with adults, esp. veterans, with cognitive disorders as I am a retired Army combat veteran. I will do my medical internship at Madonna Rehab Hospital in Lincoln Neb, just a 2-mile jaunt from my grandson.

Is anyone going to ASHA in November?

Teresa Shane

• 19.  RE: Hello Everyone!

Posted 10-04-2015 09:15 PM

Greetings All!

My name is Candice Whitfield.  I am a 4th semester graduate student at Grand Valley State University in Grand Rapids, MI.  The program is exactly on year (or 5 semesters) long.  I am currently at an elementary school for my practicum and am hoping to complete an internship at a private practice for peds in Las Vegas, NV.

I earned a B.A. in speech communications from Georgia State University and completed one year of post bacc work at Armstrong State University in Savannah, GA.

I am excited about attending the convention next month in Denver as a 2015 Minority Student Leader! If anyone else is planning to attend, I would love to hear from you! My direct email address is candice.whitfield4@gmail.com. :)

Candice Whitfield
    Wyoming, MI

• 20.  RE: Hello Everyone!

Posted 10-04-2015 06:13 PM

Hey everybody!

I am a post bacc student at the University of Washington. I'm starting to prepare my application for grad schools, yikes! I am very excited to be a mentee in the STEP program. My email is karenag17@gmail.com, feel free to send me a message, I would love to hear about your experience in the speech and hearing field! 

-Karena 

Karena Griffiths
    Sylmar, CA

• 21.  RE: Hello Everyone!

Posted 10-04-2015 08:22 PM
    Hi STEP mentees, 

My name is Yuliya! I'm a Brooklyn College undergrad student! I'm happy and excited to join the STEP community! Please, feel free to contact me via email (julkanovichk@gmail.com). 

--
    Best regards,
    Yuliya Navichkova

• 22.  RE: Hello Everyone!

Posted 10-04-2015 10:48 PM
    Hello to all STEP Mentees,

My name is Lydia Gurrola and I am real excited to be in such an experience. I am taking my last course and should be graduating from Utah State University in December with my first bachelor in COMD. I am looking forward to learning more of the field of an SLP.

• 23.  RE: Hello Everyone!

Posted 10-04-2015 11:17 PM

Hello!

My name is Allie Hughes. Currently, I am  a first year M.S. student at Nova Southeastern University. This will be my second master's degree as I earned my first degree in developmental psychology from the University of Pittsburgh.  I also work as a Board Certified Behavior Analyst. My professional interests include dysphagia and research. I hope to one day work in the area of medical speech language pathology as a clinician and/or researcher.  I look forward to talking with you all!

Allison Hughes
    McDonald, PA

• 24.  RE: Hello Everyone!

Posted 10-05-2015 09:27 AM

Hello all,

My name is Jenyca St.Surin. I am a second year grad student at St. John's University. I am currently in my school placement working with first graders who are hearing impaired. It's amazing ! Definitely love this population, but I am also interested in accent modification although I've had no exposure to it. I look forward to getting to know all of you!

Jenyca St.Surin
    Brooklyn, NY

• 25.  RE: Hello Everyone!

Posted 10-05-2015 09:42 AM

Hello Everyone!

My name is Sarah Feigenbaum. I am currently a 2nd year grad student at Louisiana State University. I am currently doing my Pediatric placement at a facility specializing in ASD which I absolutely love. This is definitely the population I hope to work with most. I love being able to work on a multidisciplinary team for these kids! I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone and hearing what other programs are like.

Sarah Feigenbaum
    Baton Rouge, LA

• 26.  RE: Hello Everyone!

Posted 10-05-2015 10:25 AM

Hey Everyone! My name is Blair and I am a junior in undergrad majoring in communication sciences and disorders at Case Western Reserve University. I am also a behavior technician at an autism clinic during summer and winter break. I love working with this population but I am open to other pediatric environments. I'm looking forward to this experience and learning from all of you!

Blair Gorenberg
    Vernon Hills, IL

• 27.  RE: Hello Everyone!

Posted 10-05-2015 10:37 AM
    Hi everyone!

My name is Stephanie Sucahyo and I am also a 4th semester graduate student at Grand Valley State University in Grand Rapids, MI (Candice Whitfield and I are classmates!). I am currently at a preschool for my practicum, working with kids ages 3-6 years old. I'm interested in the area of voice, fluency, early intervention, and medical SLP!

• 28.  RE: Hello Everyone!

Posted 10-05-2015 10:33 AM
    Hello, I have done all my course work (post-bacc at USU and presently NOVA) online.  There are pros and cons, of course.  I opted to take online courses because of my life situation, and I have been pleasantly surprised.  I saw that some of you are currently going to USU--I loved the professors and feel that I received a quality education.  NOVA has been great so far--my professors have all been extremely knowledgeable and available.  The part I am missing is the face-to-face experience.  I don't have anything to compare it to, but I think the online requires more self-led learning, if that makes sense. 
    NOVA differs from USU online in many ways; the first thing that comes to mind is the live lectures at NOVA.  It is only once a week per course, but I feel more connected to my fellow students and professors because of this.
    My interests include school-age CLD populations & special populations.
    I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you and learn from your experiences.
    Best,
    Leena

• 29.  RE: Hello Everyone!

Posted 10-05-2015 10:52 AM

Hello All,

I am very happy that ASHA has a mentor program!
    I am a MM Voice Performance student at the University of Arkansas. I have finished my post-bac requirements and I am super excited to continue my education in communication disorders. I am applying to  a PHD program to gain acces to research and work with voice and neuro patients. Do any of you have any recommendations of MA or combined PHD programs at your schools that have programs such as these?.

Amanda

Amanda Brooks
    Little Rock , AR

• 30.  RE: Hello Everyone!

Posted 10-05-2015 11:10 AM

Hello everyone! I am a 2nd year junior at the University of Florida, who is majoring in Communication Sciences and Disorders on the Speech-Language Pathology track and is minoring in Disabilities in Society. After I receive my BHS degree, I would like to attend the University of South Florida for their masters program. I look forward to becoming a SLP and hopefully, will work as one at a Veteran's Affairs Hospital one day. This is my first year participating in the STEP program, and I look forward to sharing this wonderful opportunity with all of you.

Amanda Hartzell
    Gainesville, FL

• 31.  RE: Hello Everyone!

Posted 10-05-2015 11:49 AM

Hello!

I'm currently a second year in the  Eastern New Mexico Speech Masters program. I have loved all the setting but I'm really loving home health care. I feel so close and so far away from graduation. I'm still unsure about my setting for my CFY but I still have a couple of months to decide.

Nelida Lara
    Palmdale, CA

• 32.  RE: Hello Everyone!

Posted 10-05-2015 12:06 PM
    Hello!

My name is Patricia (Patty) Reynolds and I am an undergraduate
    student at Texas Woman's University. I am 2 classes away from
    graduating with my BS in Communication Sciences. I am extremely
    excited to be a part of the the mentoring program through ASHA. I am
    currently a Speech and Language tutor as well as Teaching Assistant at
    a private practice. I am really interested in ASD, swallowing, and
    wanting to know more about being a bilingual therapist. I cannot wait
    to hear from everyone and know of everything that is out there in our
    field. Have a wonderful day!

Patricia Reynolds
    Undergraduate Student at TWU in Denton
    KidSpeak, LLC Speech and Language Tutor and Teaching Assistant
    KidSpeak, LLC
    www.kidspeakdallas.com
    www.facebook.com/kidspeak
    www.autismspot.com
    http://twitter.com/kidspeakdallas

The information contained in this transmission may contain
    confidential information that is protected under HIPPA and other
    federal laws. If this email was received in error, please reply to the
    sender only immediately and do not distribute the information to any
    other person.

• 33.  RE: Hello Everyone!

Posted 10-05-2015 12:29 PM

Nelida,

Hopefully, your participation in S.T.E.P. will provide guidance and help you to decide which setting you want to pursue.

Melanie Johnson
    Membership Program Manager

• 34.  RE: Hello Everyone!

Posted 10-05-2015 12:40 PM

Hello Fellow Mentees!

My name is Maggie and I'm a senior in the Communication Sciences and Disorders Major at the University of Maine.  I'm also double majoring in Childhood Development and Family Relations and minoring in Disabilities Studies.  I'm very excited to be involved with this program!  

I'll be attending the ASHA Convention this fall to present my research in a Poster Presentation.  I will also be in the Minority Student Leadership Program. 

On campus, I'm involved with All Maine Women, NSSLHA, and Delta Zeta National Sorority, Alpha Upsilon Chapter. 

My email is margaret.pierce@maine.edu

Margaret Pierce
    Hermon, ME