STEP Mentees

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Weekly Training: Create a Path to ASHA Leadership Via Related Professional Organizations

• 1.  Weekly Training: Create a Path to ASHA Leadership Via Related Professional Organizations

Posted 05-18-2017 01:03 PM
    May 17 quote

Weekly Training: Create a Path to ASHA Leadership Via Related Professional Organizations

Dr. Tommie Robinson has successfully navigated the ASHA leadership ladder. It was his affiliation with the DC Speech and Hearing Association that got him on his path to leadership. He started as a member of his state association and eventually became ASHA President. Watch his video and read the blog to learn more about how becoming active in related professional organizations can lay the foundation for your leadership path.

Peer Discussion:

• What kinds of related professional organizations are you involved in that will help to create your path to leadership?

Connect! Learn! Empower!

------------------------------
    Melanie Johnson
    Membership Program Manager

• 2.  RE: Weekly Training: Create a Path to ASHA Leadership Via Related Professional Organizations

Posted 05-21-2017 03:44 PM
    Hello everyone,

Happy summer! This is a great discussion post that will definitely be beneficial to undergraduates and graduates alike. Dr. Robinson wrote a very good article discussing the leadership and involvement in various organizations. Related professional organizations (RPO) are a great way to boost your interest and participation in speech-language pathology. For example, being a member of NSSHLA (National Student Speech Language Hearing Association) is an excellent way to become active in ASHA through service, advocacy, and community involvement. I was a member of NSSLHA in undergrad and now, in graduate school as well. NSSHLA offers so much to promote communication sciences and disorders. I really enjoy raising funds for charitable organizations! Also, it is important to be involved in an area of interest that you may have. For example, English as Second Language (ESL) interested me, so I became an ESL tutor for Volunteers of America. Find what you interests you and get involved through volunteering! Definitely, for undergrads, job-shadow different SLP's or audiologists to see what a day of the job entails. You will gain so much valuable insight, knowledge, and skill through observing. Overall, find what interests you and pursue it, whether it is through shadowing or volunteering! 

Mary Wyatt
    LA