STEP Mentees

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Weekly Training - An interview with Chelsea Walker, NSSLHA President

• 1.  Weekly Training - An interview with Chelsea Walker, NSSLHA President

Posted 05-10-2017 03:28 PM

Weekly Training: What is the one thing students should know transitioning from undergrad to grad?

Are you preparing to make the transition to graduate school?   This video from Chelsea Walker, NSSLHA President, discusses the one thing students should know transitioning from undergrad to grad".

Peer Discussion: 
    • Can you relate to the advice that Chelsea provided? 
    • What advice would you give?
    • What do you want to know? Ask your peers about their experience from undergrad to grad.

------------------------------
    Melanie Johnson
    Membership Program Manager

• 2.  RE: Weekly Training - An interview with Chelsea Walker, NSSLHA President

Posted 06-06-2017 01:02 AM
    Hello all!
    I thought I'd shared my story, because I'm feeling inspired (and reassured) after watching Chelsea's interview. I very much relate to her advice on following your own path and knowing that your path is bound to change. I feel that I've been on a winding road in my pursuit of becoming a speech therapist.

I received a B.A. at Georgia State University in Speech. This was a degree that my advisor said would lead me into a C.D. graduate program. While I am happy to have graduated, I was a bit defeated when I found out that my coursework hardly covered the topics that most other communication disorders majors offer. I realized that I was seriously lacking prerequisites. After a few years out of school and a move across the country to care for my terminally-ill father, I decided to go back to school. Since my life was very much in transition, I decided that a distance learning program would be best for my current situation. I went to Utah State University (online) and graduated with a B.S. in Communication Disorders. After I graduated in August 2016, I took the next few months to study for the GRE. Unfortunately, I didn't do so well the first time. Even so, I applied in January 2017 to four local universities to the SLP graduate program. I did not get into any of them. As you can imagine, I've been feeling down about it, but I won't give up!

Most recently, I started volunteering at a non-profit center for speech and hearing services. I began helping the audiometrist with hearing screenings on location at schools. She introduced me to the speech therapist at the center. Now I'm helping the SLP with various projects at the office. It has been such a great experience and I'm learning so much. It has allowed me to practice some of the skills I learned in undergraduate school. I feel challenged and even more passionate that I am meant to be a SLP! I going to continue to strive. I'm studying again for that dreaded GRE, researching SLPA programs, and volunteering to add that experience to my future application. I guess I don't necessarily have a happy ending to share just yet, but I'm determined and know that if I keep trying, I will become the pediatric speech therapist I know I am meant to be.

Kerstin Budisch
    Pasadena, CA