STEP Mentees

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

How many of STEP Mentees are currently on the Live Web Chat Orientation?

• 1.  How many of STEP Mentees are currently on the Live Web Chat Orientation?

Posted 03-15-2017 08:39 PM
    Hi all STEP Mentees,

My name is Charlie. I'm on the STEP Live Web Chat Orientation right now.

I just feel that starting a thread like this might help us get to know one another.

I am a male, international student earning my Master of Science in Speech-Language Pathology at the University of Louisville School of Medicine in Kentucky.

Where are you from and where are you going to school right now for your professional degree?

Cordially,

------------------------------
    Yun Chao Xu
    Louisville, KY

• 2.  RE: How many of STEP Mentees are currently on the Live Web Chat Orientation?

Posted 03-15-2017 09:10 PM
    Hello fellow mentees,
        In response to Yun Chao's post, I am currently pursueing my B.A. In Speech-Language Pathology from California State University Fresno.  I have lived here in Fresno for a while but I'm originally from the Central Coast.  

Whitney Masten
    Fresno, CA

• 3.  RE: How many of STEP Mentees are currently on the Live Web Chat Orientation?

Posted 03-15-2017 09:22 PM
    Hello everyone,

My name is Sarah, I am a first year grad student from New York. I am earning my master's degree at Iona College.   

Sarah B
    NY

• 4.  RE: How many of STEP Mentees are currently on the Live Web Chat Orientation?

Posted 03-15-2017 09:26 PM
    Hello, everyone!

My name is Genevieve Barchak, and I'm currently in my first year of grad school. I'm going for my Master's in Speech-Language Pathology at Clarion University of Pennsylvania. I also received my Bachelor's from Clarion!

Genevieve Barchak
    Scranton, PA

• 5.  RE: How many of STEP Mentees are currently on the Live Web Chat Orientation?

Posted 03-15-2017 09:38 PM

Hello all,

My name is Brett Welch. I am a second year speech-language pathology graduate student at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley. I graduate in May (7.5 weeks away, but who's counting  ), and I am very excited to begin my CFY! I am writing a thesis on speech-language pathology and our role in working with clients that are transgender. I received a B.S. in speech-language pathology and a B.A. in linguistics from the University of Texas in Austin. 

Looking forward to getting to know more of y'all!

Best regards,

Brett Welch

He/Him

• 6.  RE: How many of STEP Mentees are currently on the Live Web Chat Orientation?

Posted 03-15-2017 09:25 PM
    Hi all ! 
    My name is Nicole. A first year grad student at NYU studying communicative sciences and disorders. I'm originally from New Jersey 

• 7.  RE: How many of STEP Mentees are currently on the Live Web Chat Orientation?

Posted 03-15-2017 09:32 PM
    Hi all, 
    I'm Loren and I'm a first semester graduate student at Alabama A&M university pursuing a M.S. In Communicative Sciences and Disorders. I'm originally from Dallas, Texas. 

Sent from my iPhone

• 8.  RE: How many of STEP Mentees are currently on the Live Web Chat Orientation?

Posted 03-15-2017 09:41 PM
    Hello all! 

Unfortunately, I was not able to make it to the online orientation. I hope it went well! My name is Rayna, and I currently have a year and a half left until I receive my M.S. in Speech-Language Pathology at Nova Southeastern University in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. I was born and raised here in South Florida. I look forward to meeting everyone and learning from this program! 

All the best,

Rayna Hervis

• 9.  RE: How many of STEP Mentees are currently on the Live Web Chat Orientation?

Posted 03-15-2017 10:00 PM
    Hello all! Unfortunately, being stuck on a train, I was unable to attend the live chat as well, but reviewing through everything discussed, it all seemed very helpful. A lot of good questions were answered. I'm glad that I was able to access it afterwards.

Anyways, my name is Marielle Baronia. I'm currently pursuing a B.A. in Communication Disorders at Cal State Los Angeles, hoping to get into a Speech-Language Pathology Master's program for Fall of '18.

Marielle Baronia
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA

• 10.  RE: How many of STEP Mentees are currently on the Live Web Chat Orientation?

Posted 03-15-2017 10:06 PM
    Hello,

My name is Ta Porche Dupree. I am currently a Junior pursuing my bachelors degree at Cal State San Marcos in SLP. I am originally from Memphis Tennessee.

Sent from my iPhone

• 11.  RE: How many of STEP Mentees are currently on the Live Web Chat Orientation?

Posted 03-15-2017 10:31 PM
    Hi everyone!

My name is Diana and I'm also attending Nova Southeastern University's masters program :). Like Rayna, I graduate roughly in a year in a half. However, I'm a distance education student and live in New York. I received my undergraduate degree from NYU in sociology and spent some time teaching in schools in NYC and southern Arizona. I wish everyone luck in their programs and future career goals!

Sent from my iPhone

• 12.  RE: How many of STEP Mentees are currently on the Live Web Chat Orientation?

Posted 03-15-2017 10:28 PM
    Hi everyone!

My name is Jen Blake, I am a second semester junior at Marymount Manhattan College. Looking forward to meeting some fellow Speechies.

Best,
    Jennifer Blake

• 13.  RE: How many of STEP Mentees are currently on the Live Web Chat Orientation?

Posted 03-16-2017 08:11 PM
    Hello everyone,

I am a very recent graduate completing my first three months as a Clinical Fellow at an early intervention agency serving Spanish-speaking kiddos in the south of Albuquerque, NM. I have an excellent mentor for my CF but decided to join STEP to seek guidance through future professional and academic endeavors. Glad to be a part of this community!

Sent from my iPhone

• 14.  RE: How many of STEP Mentees are currently on the Live Web Chat Orientation?

Posted 03-16-2017 09:47 PM

Hello Everyone,

My name is Orlando Hinojosa. I am a second year graduate student in Speech-Language Pathology at Lamar University. I am currently in my last semester completing an externship site at a hospital in San Antonio, Texas. I have been busy with clinic, classes, and am currently also studying for my Praxis since I will be taking it next week. I hope to interact more with everyone once I finish my test next week. I decided to do the STEP Mentor program again this year since my experience with my mentor last was beyond great. She gave me so much information about externship sites and she was my biggest influence in deciding where I wanted to complete them. I am hoping for another great mentoring experience. 

Best,

Orlando Hinojosa

• 15.  RE: How many of STEP Mentees are currently on the Live Web Chat Orientation?

Posted 03-15-2017 09:58 PM
    Hello! 
    My name is Rebecca.  I am a Junior at Idaho State University and working on my Bachelors for Communication Sciences and Disorders.  I am originally from Southern California. 

Rebecca Fost
    Lake Forest, CA

• 16.  RE: How many of STEP Mentees are currently on the Live Web Chat Orientation?

Posted 03-15-2017 10:02 PM
    Hello!
    My name is Anna and I am a sophomore at the University of Akron studying to be an SLP! I am so excited to be in this program and learn more about all that comes with this profession.

---------------------------------
    Anna Nyszczy
    Stow, OH
    ---------------------------------

• 17.  RE: How many of STEP Mentees are currently on the Live Web Chat Orientation?

Posted 03-15-2017 10:02 PM
    Hello!
    My name is Rachel Yeggy. I'm currently in my last semester of graduate school at Idaho State University in Meridian. I have an externship over the summer in an outpatient clinic and will be getting my M.S. in speech-language Pathology in August. Yay! 

Rachel Yeggy
    Meridian, ID

• 18.  RE: How many of STEP Mentees are currently on the Live Web Chat Orientation?

Posted 03-15-2017 10:17 PM
    Hi!
    My name is MJ.
    I am currently a first year master student at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign in speech language pathology. I'll look forward to our group discussions.
    Charlie, thanks for starting the group thread!

MJ Kim
    Urbana, IL

• 19.  RE: How many of STEP Mentees are currently on the Live Web Chat Orientation?

Posted 03-15-2017 10:35 PM
    Hello All,

My name is Wrenellen Johnson. I am currently a graduate student at St. John's University in New York.

Wrenelle

Wrenelle Johnson
    Brooklyn, NY

• 20.  RE: How many of STEP Mentees are currently on the Live Web Chat Orientation?

Posted 03-16-2017 12:39 AM
    So nice to meet everyone. My name is Diane. I am a first-year master's student in Speech-Language Pathology at San Diego State University. I was born and raised in California so didn't have to venture too far for grad school. 

Diana Guerrero
    San Diego, CA
    dianepguerrero@gmail.com

• 21.  RE: How many of STEP Mentees are currently on the Live Web Chat Orientation?

Posted 03-16-2017 12:34 AM
    Hi everyone!

I had to miss the live web chat because I am currently in Guatemala! However, I am sure you all had a wonderful time during the web chat! I am a graduate student at Lamar University in speech- language pathology. ASHA and the STEP Mentoring Program is a great way to get to know all of you better! Have a great night!

Mary

Sent from my iPhone

• 22.  RE: How many of STEP Mentees are currently on the Live Web Chat Orientation?

Posted 03-16-2017 12:42 AM
    Hi all,

I am Hsin-Wei, soon to be third year audiology student at University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences. I am from Taiwan originally. Received MA from University of Georgia and did postbac at University of Oregon.

Sorry I had to miss the orientation; we have midterms and other things this week before we will be gone for spring break next week.

Pleasure meeting you all here!

Hsin-Wei Huang
    Doctor of Audiology, Class of 2019
    Little Rock, AR

• 23.  RE: How many of STEP Mentees are currently on the Live Web Chat Orientation?

Posted 03-16-2017 12:51 AM
    Hello!

Thanks for starting this thread :) Nice to see how diverse this group is! My name is Margaret and I am from Oxon Hill, Maryland. I received my BA in Hearing and Speech Sciences from the University of Maryland, College Park and am currently taking a year off to work before pursuing grad school. 

Margaret Magnaye
    Oxon Hill, MD
    UMD 2016
    She/Her

• 24.  RE: How many of STEP Mentees are currently on the Live Web Chat Orientation?

Posted 03-16-2017 12:53 AM
    Hey all,

My name is Lois and I was born and raised in the Maryland suburbs of Washington DC. I received my bachelors from the University of Maryland, College Park in Hearing and Speech Sciences and came back for grad school (#TerpForLife). I am slated to graduate in May with an M.A. in SLP. I am really interested in stuttering and fluency disorders.

Looking forward to completing the STEP program with you all!

Lois Yeom
    Rockville, MD

• 25.  RE: How many of STEP Mentees are currently on the Live Web Chat Orientation?

Posted 03-16-2017 01:05 AM
    Hello everyone- I was there for part of the discussion then had to step away from the computer as it was dinner time and I needed to deal with my toddler.
    I am currently completing the online pre-professional program through Idaho State University. I live in Meridian, ID and am taking my classes while also working full time. My goal is to get everything I need completed (prerequisistes, GRE etc.) and apply to graduate programs with a start date of 2018. My hope is to get into Idaho State's program, as relocating would be difficult at this point, but I am also researching online only options at other schools.
    I have a BFA and MFA in Theatre and am going back to school for a career shift. I am in my second semester of classes, and am looking forward to this program helping me learn more about the profession and shape my career goals.

Megan Izzo
    Meridian, ID

• 26.  RE: How many of STEP Mentees are currently on the Live Web Chat Orientation?

Posted 03-16-2017 12:01 PM
    Hello, everyone!

My name is Jess Kauffman. I was sorry to have missed the orientation yesterday, but it was so interesting reading everyone's messages and the many walks of life we're all coming from. Last year, I completed a B.A. in English literature with minors in philosophy and history. Like many of you, I'm now attending Idaho State University's Online Pre-Professional SLP program at Idaho State University. Hoping to get into a Master of Science program next. Good luck to others who have applied this year!

Jess

• 27.  RE: How many of STEP Mentees are currently on the Live Web Chat Orientation?

Posted 03-16-2017 01:37 PM
    Hi,
    I missed the orientation as well and am slowly reading the transcript portion.  Like you, I am in the pre-professional program (sometimes wondering what I've gotten myself into), planning to finish in after the summer semester.  I would love to be a speech therapist in the school district.  It is nice to hear from people, on-line courses make me feel like I am in my own world.  I wish you all the best.
    Linda Robinson

• 28.  RE: How many of STEP Mentees are currently on the Live Web Chat Orientation?

Posted 03-16-2017 06:47 PM
    Hello everyone! I'm sorry I wasn't able to make the online orientation, I have been very busy preparing for the speech convention in California. I am currently in the Master's program at California State University Fresno, but I received my B.S. from California State University, East Bay. I am excited to participate with all of you in this program as we continue our journeys to becoming future speech pathologist s!

Nicole Rodgers
    Fresno, CA

• 29.  RE: How many of STEP Mentees are currently on the Live Web Chat Orientation?

Posted 03-16-2017 10:11 PM
    Wow! So many great stories and experiences! Nice to meet everyone (virtually). My name is Olivia--I'm finishing up my final semester at the Teacher's College, Columbia University in NYC. I'm currently doing my internship at a hospital and LOVE it! 

I'm really looking forward to getting know more people in the SLP community!

Olivia Kelly
    Brooklyn, NY

• 30.  RE: How many of STEP Mentees are currently on the Live Web Chat Orientation?

Posted 03-16-2017 01:37 PM
    Greetings everyone, 
    I'm Janet, currently in my junior year of BA communication disorders. I am a student at Cal State Los Angeles, NSSLHA-CSULA representative. I Will be applying this fall to graduate programs, (crossing fingers) hoping to stay in Southern California. 
    To all those already in graduate programs how was your application process any tips? Or study suggestions for the GRE ? 

Janet Reyes
    Pomona, CA

• 31.  RE: How many of STEP Mentees are currently on the Live Web Chat Orientation?

Posted 03-16-2017 01:39 PM
    Yun Chao Xu, how do you like the program you're in? I didn't know that there were medical schools that offered a M.S. In SLP.  That's sounds great!! 

Janet Reyes
    Pomona, CA

• 32.  RE: How many of STEP Mentees are currently on the Live Web Chat Orientation?

Posted 03-16-2017 10:04 PM
    Hi everyone,

It's nice to meet all of you -- I have been reading through all of your introductions and it's so exciting to see all of us come from such diverse backgrounds. I'm Bonnie and I'm currently a second year graduate student studying speech-language pathology in New York. I studied child development and psychology back in undergrad, and am from Korea. 

Bo Yeon Ihn
    New York, NY

• 33.  RE: How many of STEP Mentees are currently on the Live Web Chat Orientation?

Posted 03-17-2017 09:22 AM
    Hello,

I couldn't really make it to the orientation, but my name is Alexia, I'm a second year grad student. I'm done with all my coursework, comps and the Praxis (Wooohoooo!!!! More than happy to help if you have any questions about the praxis). I am an international student from Mexico, so my first language is Spanish. I am hoping to go into the medical setting and I'm really excited for this experience and for the opportunities this might bring in developing relationships with future colleagues!!!

Alexia Ilian Derma-Salazar
    "Without God, man cannot. Without man, God will not."

• 34.  RE: How many of STEP Mentees are currently on the Live Web Chat Orientation?

Posted 03-18-2017 12:57 AM
    Hi everyone,

My name is Kristina Chan and I'm a first-year graduate student at Brooklyn College. I wasn't able to attend the online orientation, but I'm happy to meet you all here. And I look forward to discussing and learning more from each of you as we continue our journey in our mentorships.

Kristina Chan
    Brooklyn, NY

• 35.  RE: How many of STEP Mentees are currently on the Live Web Chat Orientation?

Posted 03-19-2017 12:07 PM
    Hey everyone. 

I could not make it to the live orientation due to work.
    My name is Kyndl Harlan and I am a senior undergraduate student at the University of Central Arkansas.

I have applied to graduate school and am now waiting to hear back.
    I am excited about this opportunity and can't wait to embark on this journey of learning and gaining experience.