STEP Mentees

View Only
  • 1.  Weekly Training: The 3 Things That Stop Most People From Achieving Their Goals

Posted 04-26-2017 02:46 PM
    April 26 quote

Weekly Training: The 3 Things That Stop Most People From Achieving Their Goals

How is your goal achievement coming along? Have you hit a wall? If so, what's holding you back? Is it lack of time, lack of focus or have your goals changed? If you are not being held back by one of these reasons maybe, it's one of the reasons discussed in this article. After you read the article. Do you identify with one of these reasons and will you use their suggestions to move your goals forward.

Peer Discussion:  (Please use this community to share and talk with each other)

Are you having trouble formulating your goals, or putting the steps in place to achieve them?  Discuss with your peers your challenges. What assistance can you offer each other?

After reading the article, Do you identify with either of the reasons that hold people back from achieving their goals? Have you used the suggestions to overcome this obstacle? How are the suggestions helping you to move forward?

------------------------------
    Melanie Johnson
    Membership Program Manager

• 2.  RE: Weekly Training: The 3 Things That Stop Most People From Achieving Their Goals

Posted 04-26-2017 03:18 PM
    Hello,
    After reading the article, I completely agree with what the author stated are the three big things that stop someone from achieving their goals.  I personally have experienced fear as the main thing stopping me from doing something.  Fear or failure, fear of rejection, fear of it being too hard, etc.  When I started feeling the fear when attempting to achieve a goal, I would always talk to my support system (friends, parents, mentor, etc.) and tell them why I was feeling this way and ask for their suggestions.  They would say many of the same things mentioned in the article about acknowledging that fear but not letting it control you.  This has really helped me move forward to achieve my goals!

Jessica Steiner
    Fairfax, VA

• 3.  RE: Weekly Training: The 3 Things That Stop Most People From Achieving Their Goals

Posted 04-27-2017 08:14 PM

Hi everybody, 

I hope you all are having a great week so far, and good luck on final tests or exams!

Are you having trouble formulating your goals, or putting the steps in place to achieve them?  What assistance can you offer each other?

As finals week is approaching in many different schools, I am sure everyone has been studying a lot and drinking lots of coffee to have energy! As far as STEP goals are concerned, these may have been pushed back due to studying for finals or other tests. In order to formulate a goal, possibly write down in a calendar steps for each goal and the dates at which the goal is to be finished. It is hard to remember to formulate a goal, and possibly keeping a timeline of your steps for each goal might help. Coordinating how to plan each step in achieving your goal can be sometimes hard. You may have trouble contacting or networking to find different faculty or staff to help you in your goals. Perhaps, you could alter the steps in your goal to better accommodate other faculty and staff member's current events. Goals are kind of tricky to stick to, and definitely, being organized will help! 

After reading the article, do you identify with either of the reasons that hold people back from achieving their goals? Have you used the suggestions to overcome this obstacle? How are the suggestions helping you to move forward?

After reading the article, I agree with the article. For example, consideration is a big point. Oftentimes, we want to set a goal, but we may already foresee obstacles in obtaining this goal, such as time commitment or work scheduling. However, it is important to set aside these thoughts and focus on the goal. Definitely, fear is another big issue that people face when setting goals. I agree with the article in that everyone has to overcome these fears by talking to your mentor or a friend. Seeking advice from others can help in keeping track with your goal. Roadblocks often happen with no reason and they may come suddenly. However, in order to overcome these, we have to put in more effort and determination to succeed. Obstacles are merely helping point in our journey to make us stronger! 

Have a great week!

Mary Wyatt
    LA