STEP Mentees

View Only
  • 1.  Tips for Future Grad Students

Posted 04-06-2017 06:00 PM

Hi fellow mentees!

I know we are a mix of current and future grad students.  As someone who will be starting grad school in the fall, I would like to know current students' tips for success in grad school, especially for one's first semester and onward.

Here are some specific questions (though tips on anything related to grad school are welcome):

1. What do you wish you had known before starting grad school?
    2. How do you learn the clinical techniques and behavior management skills necessary to be a Speech Pathologist, especially if you did not have clinic in undergrad?
    3. What are some tips on working with a supervisor?
    4. What is one challenge you have faced, and how did you overcome it?

Thanks in advance,
    Laura

• 2.  RE: Tips for Future Grad Students

Posted 04-06-2017 07:09 PM

Laura,

Here is what my experience has been.

For me,  I think that regardless of any type of preparation, your first year is going to be overwhelming. Embrace it. For me, my first semester was a struggle, but be open with your professors and reach out to them when you need help (take advantage of office hours). I would also say, figure out your organization system early because you will be given lots of information that will be building on top of each other, and it will come fast. It took me a good amount of trial and error to figure out a good system that worked for me. While you're doing this, remember to start building your resources together so that you can refer to it later. You might need to reference your material later on to help you with a specific client in clinic. It's just easier to have everything organized from the beginning. 

2. How do you learn the clinical techniques and behavior management skills necessary to be a Speech Pathologist, especially if you did not have clinic in undergrad?

For all of us, clinic was intimidating but SO rewarding after we got through Day 1. It only gets better after that. Your techniques will come with time, and may be through trial and error. Your supervisors are not expecting perfection. They know you are learning so it's OKAY if you make a mistake. If you aren't feeling confident, you can still observe other clinicians or reach out to other SLPs and ask to observe them (with all that spare time that you won't have). 

Our supervisors were amazing. The best advice was to know that each supervisor works in his/her own way. Trust that they are a supervisor for a reason and that they know what they are doing. Mirror what they do to get an idea of how they interact because each supervisor might have their own expectations.

A challenge - all of first semester. It was tough for me. Just keep your head high, know your limits of what you should do on your own vs when to ask for help if you need it. And don't be TOO hard on yourself. You'll be okay. 

Lastly, have fun. The most pressure you will have your first year will likely be from yourself. Don't fret the small stuff and enjoy it! Best of luck and congrats!

Diane

------------------------------
    Diana Guerrero
    San Diego, CA
    dianepguerrero@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Tips for Future Grad Students

Posted 04-06-2017 07:33 PM
    Hi Laura, these are some great questions! I am a second year grad student, graduating this summer so I can let you know what has helped me.

1. I wish I had known more about the expectations of the program. At my university we have a thesis and non-thesis option. The non-thesis option is a comprehensive portfolio with many tasks, deadlines, and different qualifications. At the start of the program I wish I had known more of these details so I could have gotten started on my project sooner (I did the non-thesis option). Another thing is that I wish I had started with better time management skills - these have been so important to me. I use Google calendar to keep track of all my responsibilities and this has helped me immensely. 

2. Clinical techniques and behavior management skills...I pretty much learned these from having experience during my clinicals in grad school. We were thrown into clinic the first semester so really many of us did not have these skills to begin with. I look back at my first few clients and think of all the things I would have done differently. But you really have to just accept that you probably won't be providing the best possible therapy to those first few clients, and that is OKAY. You will gain these skills with practice. It has been really helpful for me to watch other professionals during therapy. I've picked up a lot of skills this way. There's a site called Master Clinician that you can sign up for that gives you access to videos of clinicians doing therapy. This was helpful to watch as well. I'd suggest going to local clinics and observing some of the clinicians during therapy if you can.

3. Tips for working with a supervisor: They are there to help you. They don't want to see you fail. That being said, don't expect them to give you all the answers. I've found that they really like to see you work through problems. If you don't know what to do for a therapy session, don't just go to them and say "I'm not sure what to do..." Come to them with ideas and let them help you shape those ideas. Take advantage of their knowledge, ask them thoughtful questions. Another thing is you really have to just get a feel for how they work. I've had supervisors who just let me run with whatever I want to do and then others who wanted me to collaborate with them very closely. Sometimes my supervisor will want me to incorporate a certain thing in therapy even though I disagree that it will work. I just go with what they want and let the outcomes speak for themselves about if it worked or not.

4. I had a client my very first semester of clinic question my knowledge and qualifications for providing therapy within my first few weeks of clinic. It was quite terrifying! I did not feel very qualified or knowledgeable, especially during those first few weeks and even during that first semester. I assured the client that the therapy I was giving was supported by my supervisor and if he had further questions he could talk to my supervisor about it. It was all resolved and there wasn't much of a conflict but I realized that I needed to be confident in what I was saying, even if I wasn't. Many of my classmates go by the philosophy of "fake it till you make it". This has really helped me gain my confidence in my therapy skills. Pretend you know what you're talking about and be prepared to admit if you're wrong. 

During the first week of grad school one of my supervisors made a statement that has stuck with me these past two years and help me get through all those hard times. That is - this is a short term sacrifice for a long term reward. There will be hard (and easy) times but in the end, it will all be worth it. 

Good luck! :)

Rachel Yeggy
    Idaho State University
    Meridian, ID

• 4.  RE: Tips for Future Grad Students

Posted 04-07-2017 01:16 AM
    Hey Laura,

Congrats on starting grad school soon! It'll be tough, but it'll be good.
    These are great questions!

One thing I wish I had been more meticulous about before grad school would be being more familiar with my program's exact requirements and how they'd fit into my schedule for the next two years (e.g. knowing whether specific classes are offered only in specific semesters so I could budget loans for winter/summer classes, etc.)
    I also wish I organized my materials, whether they were for clinic or for courses, better, and STAYED organized for the entire program. Clinic, classes, and life came at me fast, and I wish I took more time to organize materials and files for easy access in the long run, and especially when it came studying for comps. This might include renaming lecture files that you download onto your computer. For example, if you download your dysphagia professor's first lecture entitled "lecture 1," it might be more efficient to immediately rename it as "Dysphagia Lecture 1 - Topic X" so you can distinguish it from all the other "lecture 1"'s you might download over the course of two years.

I learned by trial and error, watching my supervisors come in during my sessions and demonstrating techniques, and from their critiques and feedback. I also learned behind the window by watching my classmates treat. When working with young children, I learned to manage their behavior by letting time take its course and getting to know them over the weeks and also by asking their parents for tips. Overall, the clients and supervisors know that you're a student, so don't feel pressure to be perfect - you wouldn't be in school if you were!

There would be times where I'd be working with at least three different supervisors who all had different styles when it came to assessing, treating, and writing goals and reports. I felt that working well with a supervisor came with giving time to get used to their style, really listening to and implementing what they had to say, telling them when I didn't understand and asking the to clarify if I still didn't get it, and being sure to voice my thoughts and opinions. Stating my opinions and unique ideas was intimidating at first, but my supervisors would help me get back on track if I was heading in the wrong direction. 

I think many people in our field are used to being independent, solving problems on their own, and being perfectionists. These are great attributes, but there will be times in grad school when you won't know what you're doing and the only way to know is by getting help. Like Diana posted above, know your limits. Try things on your own, but don't be afraid to ask for help, like asking for an extension for the first time in your life (that was my case ;) ). Have a way to relieve stress, and make sure to make some me-time for yourself! 

I will be graduating next month - the past two years really flew by. Good luck with grad school and make the most of it! It's going to be an experience for sure.

Lois Yeom
    Rockville, MD

• 5.  RE: Tips for Future Grad Students

Posted 04-07-2017 01:15 PM
    Hi Laura,

As a master's student about to graduate in May, I would have to say that the answers to most of your questions will be specific to the program that you are in, and to the individual who is learning the skill. You will learn to use the resources around you to create your own style of therapy and interaction. One of the most valuable resources for me throughout my program has been my classmates. Our program is a cohort model, so I have progressed through classes and clinic with the same 31 people over the last 2 years. The thing we did that I believe provided the most benefit for everyone was to be open and supportive of each other. We established a cohort facebook page to share information about due dates, treatment ideas, materials, etc., and to provide humor and support. We also used google docs to collaborate on the creation of study guides, and to share EBP we had found. I think it is important to remember that grad school is about learning to collaborate, rather than compete, and that if you can get your classmates on board with you, you will all be much stronger as a group than any one of you will be alone. Good luck in your future endeavors. Trust your instincts, and remember to always and above all be present and kind to your peers and clients and you will be fine.  

Celeste Bosio
    Carlsbad, CA

• 6.  RE: Tips for Future Grad Students

Posted 04-07-2017 01:28 PM
    Hey,

I think this might be a little repetitive but hopefully you'll get something out of it...

That I have SO MUCH left to learn... even after grad school. I'm done with all my coursework and I'm currently doing one my full time internships and every day there's something new to learn... Remember to learn for the future and not memorize for the test, that way, even if you don't know the answer to everything you'll be able to ask good questions and have a good foundation to understand the answers... Hope that makes sense...

Time, practice and lots of humility... Be willing to accept constructive criticism and don't take it personally... We've all been there and continue to learn every day.

Ask them what they expect from you. Check with them to see if there's anything they want you to improve or work on. Pick up on the cues they give you, especially during therapy. Be open to their criticism and again, don't take it personal! They're just trying to help you become a better clinician...

Working while going through grad school was a CHALLENGE, to say the least. But I learned that organizing my time efficiently was the best tool to make it... Be intentional about doing something productive every hour of the day, that doesn't mean you'll be studying every second, though... find time to work out, sleep enough!!!! (can't stress this enough), set a bed time and wake up time (if you're not one, become a morning person!!! get things done at the beginning of the day and you'll feel SO accomplished instead of tired and unprepared for the rest of the day), find time for yourself and daily devotions or personal growth stuff... Make a calendar if that'll help you...
    Also, developing good study habits is a challenge, but it all boils down to time management to me...

Best of luck!! You made it into grad school, you'll make it through it! Just take it day by day (:

Alexia Derma Salazar
    Chicago, IL

• 7.  RE: Tips for Future Grad Students

Posted 04-09-2017 10:26 AM
    -I wish I had known how much patience I needed. I am not necessarily the most patient person, and my program can involve a lot of waiting. This is something I am still working on both for school and my personality.
    -You learn in a combination of class and internship, but most of these techniques are what you gain from your internship. After your two years of grad school, you will have a toolbox of skills that will help you with therapy techniques and behavior management! 
    My biggest tips for working with a supervisor are as follows:
    -Never be afraid to say "I don't know" or "I don't understand". You are still learning and now is the time to get clarification and learn. Your supervisor should understand this and be as helpful as possible.
    -Do not beat around the bush. Your supervisor is not a mind reader and it's good to be as good of a communicator as you can be. 
    -A challenge I have faced is definitely time management. I think I have decent skills in time management, but from balancing personal life, school work, internship, research and driving (because I drive so much with my lifestyle) it can be hard to pinpoint when to do a task and when not to....

I hope these help and provide some insight!

Olivia Sowa
    Muskegon, MI

• 8.  RE: Tips for Future Grad Students

Posted 04-10-2017 01:09 PM
    Hi Laura, 
    Congratulations to you! Get ready for an amazing adventure! Here's a few things that I came up with in response to your Q's. Have a great day!

What do you wish you had known before starting grad school?
    This is tough....but I think that it is always helpful to have your living situation, money/tuition all figured out so you don't have to deal with it as much during the semester!

I did not have clinic in undergrad, actually my undergraduate degree was in sport science. What I have been making sure to do is talk to as many people as I can, ask lots of questions, observe, ask more questions, and take experiences. I have learned a ton just watching my classmates give therapy as well. Every student in your program will have strengths, and it is fun to learn from them!
    During your clinical class in graduate school you will learn so much. You can read all you want, but until you actually practice what you have learned from the book, is where the information becomes real. 

I learned from my supervisor to take a chance, say what YOU think, then see what they think.  It is always important to ask questions, but put your idea out there because you know more than you are giving yourself credit for. 

An important thing I learned and am still learning is that you will not be perfect at this yet! I was getting very frustrated in clinic feeling like I wasn't performing well, but graduate school is where you will be learning what works, what doesn't, and getting a feel for it all. Graduate school is TOUGH! But also, fun! You are finally merging knowledge and action! Don't worry too much about being perfect, because it is going to take time!

Hope this helps a bit!

Aurora Belk
    San Jose, CA

• 9.  RE: Tips for Future Grad Students

Posted 04-11-2017 09:51 PM
    Hi Laura,

You are definitely a smart student who knows how to prepare in advance! My gratitude to you to really reach out and want advice from fellow peers and professionals. These traits will definitely be beneficial in graduate school! 

As you are well aware of, graduate school is different than undergraduate studies. Graduate school is more clinically-based, and the classes will be a equal mixture of school and medical-based courses. As an undergraduate student, we were taught that graduate school is a whole new "level". You don't really know what you have to prepare for. So with this being said, I would definitely recommend reading blogs and posts from graduate students to get a good overall grasp of graduate school. I was an out-of-state student, so I did not know much about the types of people in our graduate program. I wish I would have reached out to people in the graduate program at the time, and gathered their thoughts and advice about their graduate school schedule. So definitely, seek the advice from people that are already in the graduate program.

I did not have clinic in undergrad. We did not have the experience of getting "clients" like other schools do. As far as learning techniques or strategies, I would highly recommend shadowing a speech-language pathologist in whatever setting you are interested in. If you already have your observation hours, try shadowing at a different location or different specialty area, like voice. We learn the majority of our clinic preparations in the first semester, as far as writing reports, notes, and billing. Definitely, take notes during orientation about clinic. Ask around for people in the graduate program to see what their clinic experience was like. If you are a school location for clinic, definitely ask advice from the second year graduate students. Don't worry though because the first semester will be hectic! You might feel a little overwhelmed by all of the information, and it will get easier in the second semester.

At the graduate program where I am at, we have excellent supervisors! They are so nice and always willing to talk with you if you have a question or problem. Definitely, try to ask as many questions about therapy plans or notes during the first couple of weeks! You may feel as if you are bombarding them with questions, but they are usually always willing to work with you. Supervisors are great people and they have had years of experience as an SLP. They are so full of knowledge and they are excellent mentors of research. Always be open to learn new things and always be FLEXIBLE! Flexibility is the main thing that they talk about at our program. If something arises , always be willing to be flexible to a change in therapy plans, scheduling, or treatment. If a supervisor sees that you are willing to accommodate certain areas or plans, they will be impressed with your skills.

I have only had one minor challenge and that was therapy planning for the school location where I was at. I had no prior experience of working with kids, so this was a whole new side of speech-language pathology that I had no idea about. I definitely was like a fish out of water during my first weeks. I did not know how to provide proper therapy or what to do for crafts and activities. I went to my supervisor and asked her about what I should do. She gave me excellent advice. Crafting websites, blogs, and the Internet will be your friend for coming up with therapy activities! Definitely look into those resources, and ask what your other peers are doing as far as crafts and activities.

After all of this, I just want to say that you will have a great time in graduate school! If you have a positive attitude, determination, and motivation, you will do good! Good luck!

Mary Wyatt
    LA