STEP Mentees

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Weekly Training: What was the grad school application process like for you?

• 1.  Weekly Training: What was the grad school application process like for you?

Posted 10-12-2017 12:43 PM
    10/11 training quote

What was the grad school application process like for you?

This week's session features S.T.E.P. mentee, Suzette Espeut, who is a first-year master's student. Watch Suzette's video to learn her tips for a successful grad school application process. Talk among yourselves about your process and what worked well for you and/or what you wish you would have done differently.

Peer Discussion

• What stood-out for you in the tips that Suzette provided?
    • What worked well for you during your grad school process and/or what do you wish you had done differently?

Connect! Learn! Empower!

------------------------------
    Melanie Johnson
    Membership Program Manager

• 2.  RE: Weekly Training: What was the grad school application process like for you?

Posted 10-12-2017 02:30 PM
    • What stood-out for you in the tips that Suzette provided?
      • I totally agree with Suzette's "STAY AHEAD AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE" tip. I was pretty on top of my applications, but I watched some of my classmates fall behind, or not stay on top of it, and their admissions to programs suffered as a result. 
      • This challenge is NORMAL - YES! Everyone who is applying to graduate school is having similar struggle as you! Do not feel alone! 
    • What worked well for you during your grad school process and/or what do you wish you had done differently?
      • For my personal statement, I really had to dig down and create a story of "why" I wanted to be an SLP, and something that made me unique and stand out among my other peers. Since I want to specialize in the area of voice, I really highlighted my love and skills in that area during my undergraduate studies, as well as my day-to-day life. 
      • While your grades should not matter as much as they do, THEY COUNT A LOT towards what gets you into graduate school. If I had to go back, I would have tried to get better grades as well as a better GRE score just to give me a little more "oomf" in my application. 

Olivia R. Sowa
    Michigan State University