STEP

Online Lecture Series: ASL Connect

• 1.  Online Lecture Series: ASL Connect

Posted 04-12-2019 09:32 AM
    SHARING AN ONLINE EVENT: NOTE: This is not eligible ASHA CEUs.

ASL Connect hosts Lecture Series On "The Importance of Maintaining a Heritage Language while Acquitting the Host Language"

Join us in watching the third lecture of the #ASLConnectSeries! This is a great opportunity to explore current and relevant topics on ASL education, research, advocacy, and all other things related to ASL. This live-streamed series is presented by industry professionals in ASL. Accommodation in spoken English is provided.

The presentation will be given by Delia Lozano on "The Importance of Maintaining a Heritage Language while Acquitting the Host Language."

In an increasingly diverse United States, the language acquisition of multicultural Deaf children may not necessarily involve English nor American Sign Language with their families. Educational professionals often expect the Deaf students to learn American Sign Language with written English as their primary language. However, their family's heritage language is often dismissed. This creates a barrier for the students to become proficient in, and maintain a heritage language as their first language.

In addition to providing a language foundation, heritage languages serve as a 'hub' of their psychological, cognitive, linguistic, sociocultural identities. This identity overlap plays a big role in interaction with their families and other members of their cultural or ethnic groups.

Educational professionals often make the assumption that the use of the heritage language with languages in school would create confusion learning two or more languages at once. But this assumption has impacts. Students may drop their heritage language practice, or feel disconnected at home. As a result, the whole family potentially drops their shared values and language identities as well.

This discussion addresses the vital question: how do students maintain their heritage language in a school environment? Research citing multilingual academic approaches in Europe support this question. Multicultural practice works toward the goal of enriching students and their families, schools, and communities. This work recognizes and reinforces their heritage and second languages while sustaining the identities as bilinguals and multilinguals.

The lecture will take place on April 18th at 12:30 PM in the I. King Jordan Student Academic Center, at Gallaudet University. If you are not on campus, or not available to watch this lecture, we are happy to announce that this will be live-streamed on our Facebook page and archived on our Youtube page. This way you can watch the presentation anytime, anywhere.

Interested in watching? Head over to our event page on Facebook and click "Going!" We would love to see you there or on live-stream!

For additional information or accommodations, please email ASLConnect@gallaudet.edu.

Best,
    The ASL Connect Team

------------------------------
    Andrea "Deedee" Moxley
    Rockville, MD

• 2.  RE: Online Lecture Series: ASL Connect

Posted 04-12-2019 11:38 AM
    Thank you for sharing! I clicked on the Facebook link but it says "Page Not Found". Is there a different link you can provide?

Yvette Monzon
    Los Angeles, CA

• 3.  RE: Online Lecture Series: ASL Connect

Posted 04-12-2019 12:06 PM
    I had that problem too!  Here is a direct link. Let me know if this one is a challenge too.

https://www.facebook.com/events/2280038078921192/

Andrea "Deedee" Moxley
    Rockville, MD

• 4.  RE: Online Lecture Series: ASL Connect

Posted 04-12-2019 01:00 PM

Sorry, I read that as an email L

Karin Manchack, MS CCC-SLP

Speech-Language Pathologist

Speech Assessment Team

Student Support Center

Speech Office: 972-882-8717

Tuesday/Friday – Hodges Elementary: 972-290-4051

Cell:  972-222-7677

"Opinions expressed are solely my own and do not express the views or opinions of my employer, Mesquite ISD."

OPEN RECORDS NOTICE: This email and responses may be subject to Texas Open Records laws and may be disclosed to the public upon request. Please respond accordingly. This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the e-mail to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this e-mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.  If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any system and destroy any copies.