Discussion: View Thread

• 1.  Millennial Leader!

Posted 11-03-2017 02:11 PM
    Hi everyone, 
    My name is Stephanie Sorrentino and I am currently working in an outpatient private practice in multiple locations throughout Chicago and the surrounding suburbs. I began my "leadership" journey when I felt that too many of us early career supervisors were asked to supervise without seeking appropriate training in Clinical Education. I was happy to see that our national organization is thinking about Clinical Specialty Certification in supervision. I began my journey to lead through excellent service to the graduate students and fellows that I supervise. 

I attended Eastern Illinois University, where I received clinical education and mentorship from Dr. Gail Richard, Frank <g class="gr_ gr_2923 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" id="2923" data-gr-id="2923">Goldacher</g>, Lynn Calvert, Jill Fahy, Brenda Wilson, Beth Bergstrom, Trina Becker, Jean Smitley, Angela Anthony, Rebecca Throneburg, Dr. Carl Dell, and Dr. Tena McNamara- (to name a few, right?) All of those professionals made SUCH an impact on my professional career and my life. I want to learn to lead like they did, unwavering- certain of themselves. 

I will be checking in soon. 
    I hope to engage with you and learn as much from all of you as I possibly can!

------------------------------
    Stephanie Sorrentino, M.S. CCC-SLP
    Pediatric Speech-Language Pathologist
    Clinical Fellowship Coordinator
    North Shore Pediatric Therapy, Inc.
    1308 North Waukegan Road, Suite 103
    Glenview, IL 60025
    Phone: (877) 486-4140, Ext. 2071
    Fax: (847) 486-4145
    Direct dial: (224) 725-4137
    Email: StephanieS@nspt4kids.com
    www.KidsBlossom.com

• 2.  RE: Millennial Leader!

Posted 11-03-2017 02:50 PM
    Stephanie - thank you for sharing your journey with all of us.  I think your story illustrates how many of us in these professions see a "gap" and work to fill it - sometimes without even realizing it.  It is just what we do.  Your post also reminds me of how many of us are connected and don't even know it.  Two of your mentor/faculty are also a part of my own leadership journey.  They came along in my journey LATER than in your journey (Drs. Gail Richard and Tena McNamara).  So in a way, you and I are connected (and didn't even know it).  THANKS again for sharing here.  I hope that others will follow your "lead"!

Donna

Donna Fisher Smiley, Ph.D., CCC-A
    Audiologist & Audiology Supervisor
    EARS Program @ Arkansas Children's Hospital
    smileydf@archildrens.org

• 3.  RE: Millennial Leader!

Posted 11-08-2017 01:39 PM
    Donna, 
    I am so grateful to you that you took the time to share that Dr. Richard and Dr. Mac were apart of your journey! We are all connected, aren't we? Your comment only further solidifies why I am applying for the ASHA Leadership Development Program with a focus on clinical education. :) Thank you so much! I am so excited to be connected to you and learn from you as well. 

Kindly, 
    Stephanie

Glenview, IL 60025
    www.KidsBlossom.com

Stephanie Sorrentino
    Chicago, IL

• 4.  RE: Millennial Leader!

Posted 11-03-2017 03:49 PM
    Stephanie

Thank you for sharing your leadership journey with all of us and highlighting the leaders you admired at Eastern Illinois University. The ASHA Committee on Leadership Cultivation will be hosting several sessions at the Convention on the Leadership Academy and on ASHA’s other leadership development opportunities. These sessions include:

Oral Seminar 1115 Achieving Your Leadership Potential: ASHA’s Current and Emerging Leadership Programs on Thursday, November 9, 2017; 3:00 to 4:00 PM, Convention Center 518 (Lvl2). The seminar will review ASHA’s leadership development programs, showcase features of the new Leadership Academy, and conclude with an overview of ASHA’s organizational structures for leadership cultivation.

Poster Session 7329 Poster Board 165 Discover Your Potential: ASHA’s Leadership Development Programs on Friday, November 10; 9:00 to 10:30 AM; Convention Center West Hall A. The poster will provide information about ASHA’s multiple leadership development programs and highlight the ongoing leadership cultivation efforts.

Finally, the CLC will host the Leadership Empowerment Station at the Empowerment Zone throughout the Convention. The Station will offer a personal review of ASHA’s new Leadership Academy, an opportunity to complete leadership development assessments, guidance on completing the Committee Interest Form, and a chance to meet ASHA leaders.

It was fantastic hearing about the impact of great leaders at Eastern Illinois University and current ASHA President Gail Richard! Hope to see you and other emerging leaders at the convention!

Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

• 5.  RE: Millennial Leader!

Posted 11-08-2017 01:47 PM
    Dean Augustine, 
    You are so humble- not even one mention of yourself and how much you've grown EIU. You spoke at our graduation ceremony! Thank you for all of your contributions- You can see that they've trickled down to early career leaders! 

I appreciate you sharing all of the wonderful opportunities presented at ASHA this year. Unfortunately, I cannot attend due to the cost. I will certainly make this investment in myself at next year's ASHA convention. 

How can I add value to the ASHA convention from where I am now? I would greatly appreciate your recommendations. 

Thank you so much!
    Stephanie Sorrentino

Glenview, IL 60025

www.KidsBlossom.com

• 6.  RE: Millennial Leader!

Posted 11-21-2017 10:35 AM
    Stephanie - your participation in this online community is a great way to contribute to ASHA and her members from home :-)  THANKS for your engagement here.  Keep it up!

Donna

Donna Fisher Smiley, Ph.D., CCC-A
    Audiologist & Audiology Supervisor
    EARS Program @ Arkansas Children's Hospital
    smileydf@archildrens.org