Discussion: View Thread

Introductions AND a "challenge"

• 1.  Introductions AND a "challenge"

Posted 10-31-2017 11:08 AM

Good morning! 

My name is Donna Smiley and I am an audiologist in Arkansas.  I currently serve on the ASHA Committee on Leadership Cultivation and am excited about the new Leadership Academy.  We would love for community members to introduce themselves here and tell us a little bit about WHY they joined this particular online community.  I will get us started (be sure to read to the end because I want to give you a "challenge"). 

As I mentioned, I am an audiologist and I work for Arkansas Children's.  I coordinate a program that provides contract school-based audiology and specialized speech-language pathology services (HI) for early childhood programs and public schools in Arkansas.  My interest in leadership and leadership topics really started in college and has continually evolved over the last 30 years.  I recently served on the ASHA Board of Directors (2013-2015) and one of the take-away lessons for me was that I always need to "listen more to learn more".  So I joined this community to do just that.

Now, I have a challenge for you:  Right now (as I write this) there are 73 members in this community.  If each of you invites 1 person to join us, we could easily double that number by tomorrow.  But surely each of you knows more than 1 person who you can invite to join us?  So I am challenging you to send an email TODAY to 5 of your colleagues or friends in ASHA and invite them to join us this week.  Wouldn't it be great if by next Wednesday (November 8, 2017 – which is when many folks will be traveling to the annual ASHA Convention) we could have 400 members in our community?  What if we were able to get that number to 500?  I will post the outcome next Wednesday.  Let's do it!

------------------------------
    Donna Fisher Smiley, Ph.D., CCC-A
    Audiologist & Audiology Supervisor
    EARS Program @ Arkansas Children's Hospital
    smileydf@archildrens.org

• 2.  RE: Introductions AND a "challenge"

Posted 11-05-2017 12:17 PM
    I have taken the challenge to Alaska! I'm looking forward to this new community and am so pleased ASHA has made this happen.
    I'm a speech-language pathologist in a collaborative private practice (Speech, OT, PT) in Anchorage, Alaska. Our group has been together for well over 25 years. Alaska is a large state with more moose than people so our speech/audiology community is very close. Leadership opportunities are everywhere.
    My first leadership opportunity outside Girl Scouts and work was one day when I was trying to sneak out early after what felt like a very long day of work. My colleague, Nancy Lovering, was president of the state association at that time. Trying to keep my head down on the way out the door, I found myself walking through the middle of a convention planning meeting where they desperately needed volunteers. I was juggling a lot at the time as a Girl Scout coordinator with two young kids and a husband frequently out of town. That said, how do you look your colleague/friend in the eye and say YOU don't have enough time?!!!  There she was after a long day of work, with just as much at home on her plate as myself, doing what was needed for the state association. So, I said yes to vendors/donations. Next was newsletter, convention chair, AKSHA president, president of Council of State Association Presidents, Advocacy Council, volunteering on Asha committees and currently a SIG 1 Member-at-large (check out our great speaker at convention!).  My road to leadership was a slippery slope that has led to many new friendships and opportunities that have made me a better clinician and advocate. I'm glad I didn't make it out the door all those years ago:)

Molly Thompson MSCCC-SLP
    Pediatric Speech Language Svs
    part of the Ability Group Consortium
    polarspeech@gmail.com
    Anchorage, Alaska

• 3.  RE: Introductions AND a "challenge"

Posted 11-16-2017 05:00 PM

I accept the Alaska challenge from Molly Thompson! I am a speech-language pathologist in a private practice in Anchorage, Alaska. My practice is part of an interdisciplinary group of physical therapists, occupational therapists and SLP's. This group of professionals that I work with everyday are gifted clinicians and leaders in their professions. I am fortunate to learn something new everyday from my colleagues and I am sure that the importance of contributing to our profession is one of many lessons I learned! As part of a small state association my introduction to leadership, as Molly said, was hard to turn down. I was encouraged to participate in our state organization and have never looked back! My experiences with AKSHA include: ethics and regulations committee chair, state convention chair, state association president for two terms. I currently serve as the Alaska representative to ASHA for the STAR Network and I am currently the Alaska SLP Advisory Councilor. My recent appointment to the ASHA Medicaid Committee is an experience I am looking forward to starting in January.  I am excited to jump into this Community with both feet and now it is my turn to challenge more Alaskans to take the leap with me!

Nancy Lovering

Speech Language Therapy Services, LLC

Member of The Ability Group Pediatric Consortium

nlovering@gci.net

Nancy Lovering
    Anchorage, AK

• 4.  RE: Introductions AND a "challenge"

Posted 11-20-2017 04:01 PM
    Hello Everyone!

I accepted the challenge and have shared an invitation to join this group with my colleagues.
    It is so enjoyable to be part of these ASHA communities and I realize how fortunate we are as a profession to have so many opportunities to learn from each other.  I am very excited to have joined this group and I look forward to the input, suggestions and help that others can provide.

My background includes 20+ years in a large medical center ( University of Rochester) as well as spear heading new speech language pathology programs in smaller community hospitals including one in Bermuda.  Presently I am responsible for a large adult clinic at Nazareth College in Rochester, NY. We have more than 150 clients all with neurogenic communication disorders.   We also have a robust interprofessional program and clinical opportunities for students to co treat with music therapy, OT, PT, art therapy, social work,education and nursing.

Thanks for the challenge.  I look forward to seeing the results!

Heather Coles
    Rochester, NY

• 5.  RE: Introductions AND a "challenge"

Posted 11-06-2017 01:29 PM
    Hi all!
    I'm an Audiology Clinical Faculty member at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center in Knoxville, TN. My "leadership experiences" inlcude LDPA, ASHA Advisory council, local, state and national committees, political lobbying, and 5th Grade "Room Mom"...and I still don't know what kind of leader I want to be when I grow up. :)

I started getting more involved just because I wanted to be "in the know" and simply be a part of something bigger, but over time I started to realize that my efforts could in fact, have an impact (on my students, my patients, my family, and my own personal growth). Growing and learning alongside others, discussing and working through challenges, and advocating and disseminating information are skills that I've taken away from my experiences so far, but I know I still have much more to learn.

I always keep the motos "If you don't vote, you can't complain" and "Don't bring up a problem if you don't have a solution" in mind.  I have lots  to complain about, but I like to think that I'm trying to be a part of the solution by being a leader through service and vice versa...through service, growing my leadership and communication abilities.

I'm looking forward to spending more time in this Community!

Donna, challenge accepted!

Thanks!!
    -Beth

Beth Humphrey, AuD
    Associate Professor/Audiologist
    UT Health Science Center
    Knoxville, TN

• 6.  RE: Introductions AND a "challenge"

Posted 11-21-2017 10:39 AM
    Molly, Nancy, Heather and Beth,

THANK you for taking the challenge.  I hope you will continue to encourage your colleagues and students to join us in this adventure.  There are so many great resources in this program already AND there are more to come in 2018.  So stay tuned and keep up the great work out there. 

Donna

smileydf@archildrens.org

• 7.  RE: Introductions AND a "challenge"

Posted 11-21-2017 11:18 AM
    Hello friends,

My name is Melissa Passe and for the past 25 years I have served as the Director of the Speech and Hearing Clinic at Truman State University in Kirksville, Missouri. I joined the group in hopes of learning from the members and am always willing to share what I know as well. I am a graduate of the inaugural LDP class at ASHA. At the state level I have served as Missouri's convention co-chair, VP for Professional and Public Relations, MSHA President and volunteer chair. At the national level I have been the SLP rep for Missouri to the advisory council, served on the SIG 11 steering committee, chaired the CFCC, served as a CAA site visitor and most recently I have been serving on the Board of Ethics. My fondest desire is to serve as the SLP VP for standards and ethics on the ASHA BOD.

Arlene Pietranton once said to me that "once volunteering is in your blood it never leaves" and I believe that to be true. I try to learn something new everyday and am often humbled by how much I STILL do not know. I love my job and my career. I love the excitement of the students and the friendship of my colleagues. I am blessed to get up every morning and do what I do. I am anxious and happy to continue learning and looking forward to getting to know everyone here.

Melissa Passe
    Truman State University
    Director, Speech and Hearing Clinic
    passe@truman.edu

• 8.  RE: Introductions AND a "challenge"

Posted 01-16-2018 02:14 PM
    Hi everyone,

I'm excited to "meet" everyone here and learn from all of you. I am currently a speech-language pathologist at the National Technical Institute for the Deaf at Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT/NTID) in Rochester, NY. We provide speech & language and audiology services to deaf/hard of hearing college students, staff, and alumni right here on campus. It's an amazing job and fascinating population to work with.

My leadership experience includes alumni of the LDP, career ladder with Seattle Public Schools, and leading community support group organizations. I'm always trying to find ways to grow as an individual and leader.

I am currently working full-time and am a part-time student in the American Sign Language-English Interpreter program here at RIT/NTID.

Nicole Chow
    West Henrietta, NY

• 9.  RE: Introductions AND a "challenge"

Posted 01-17-2018 09:11 AM
    Nicole - it is nice to "meet" you here.  As a pediatric and school based audiologist, I think your job sounds fascinating!  I believe that you will find some good resources here in the ASHA Leadership Academy to continue to grow your leadership skills.  I hope that you will participate in some of the upcoming discussions here in the online community to share your own experiences.  

Donna

smileydf@archildrens.org

• 10.  RE: Introductions AND a "challenge"

Posted 01-27-2018 05:20 PM
    Hello everyone, my name is Dave Alexander and I am an audiologist at Maryland School for the Deaf (MSD), which is my primary job. I am also a military audiologist, a PRN audiologist for Hearing Lab Technology, LLC, an adjunct clinical supervisor at Towson University during the summers, and a teacher for the Cadet Corps program (a program similar to JROTC in high schools but this program is for deaf and hard-of-hearing students at MSD, which starts back up on Monday, January 29 -- this year it is an actual elective class that students can take rather than it being a "before or after school activity" like it was in the past).
    Before joining the CSD field, I was in the Army as an aviation officer (pilot). Life and circumstances brought me back into the CSD field. The Army has its own leadership development courses as one progresses up the ranks and I have been fortunate to have a mentor (re)introduce me to not only the CSD field, but shared with me ASHA's MSLP and LDP programs, which I subsequently graduated from. I feel development programs are important to help someone not only at their place of employment, but also this  organization (ASHA). And although it took me some time to come here to the Academy and this forum, it excites that there is another opportunity to learn and grow (for free). I feel it's important to connect with one another, share ideas, thoughts, etc.
    I look forward to meeting other members in the forum/academy, engaging with you, and watching this grow!

David Alexander, AuD, CCC-A
    Maryland School for the Deaf

• 11.  RE: Introductions AND a "challenge"

Posted 01-28-2018 11:15 PM
    Hello!

I am Tamara Harrison, an SLP for many years at the Alabama Institute for Deaf and Blind. I have served on many local, state, and national committees through our agency, our state association, Speech and Hearing Association of Alabama and our state Early Intervention program. I am currently serving on the ASHA Advisory Council and I am a graduate of the LDP. Big big shout out to ASHA for establishing the Leadership Academy! I'm looking forward to participating and being a part of this group!

---------------------------------
    Tamara Harrison
    Leeds, AL
    ---------------------------------

• 12.  RE: Introductions AND a "challenge"

Posted 01-29-2018 01:52 PM

Hi. My name is Gabrielle Haliburton and I am a school based speech language pathologist from New Jersey. In the past, I participated/was a mentee in ASHA's STEP Mentoring Program and eventually paid it forward by becoming a mentor. While I was not able to participate in the MSLP or LDP programs, I am happy to see that ASHA is providing leadership training for all its members!

Gabrielle Haliburton
    Chesilhurst, NJ

• 13.  RE: Introductions AND a "challenge"

Posted 01-29-2018 07:14 PM
    ​I am so glad to see  our school based members joining this group.  That is my "passion work setting", and I hope we can learn more about what those leaders are doing in their work setting and how it can translate to ASHA and other professional leadership.

Nancy Creaghead
    Cincinnati, OH

• 14.  RE: Introductions AND a "challenge"

Posted 01-30-2018 08:43 AM
    Hello everyone!
    My name is Carol Koch.  I've been a practicing SLP for almost 30 years, and in higher education for about 13 years.  I'm currently a professor at Samford University in Birmingham, AL.  My clinical passion is early intervention, especially CAS, Autism, and feeding.  I teach phonetics, A & P, speech sound disorders, autism, and counseling.  As a past participant of the LDP, I am thrilled to have the opportunity to continue to collaborate with others who desire to grow in leadership.  
    Have a great week everyone!
    Carol

Carol Koch
    Birmingham, AL
    Samford University

• 15.  RE: Introductions AND a "challenge"

Posted 02-07-2018 07:06 PM
    Hello all,

My name is De'Mettria Riser and I'm a SLP from the great state of Texas. I currently work in pediatric outpatient rehabilitation and occasionally work with acute pediatric inpatients as well. I joined this community because I realized that I often take on a leadership role and forsee my professional trajectory heading towards more leadership opportunities. I felt that since that's the way I'm going and I'm stepping a bit out of my comfort zone, I better get a more clear idea of all that leadership entails.  Without going into too much detail, my therapeutic passion is in the area of AAC and I do enjoy cognitive rehab. I've worked in various pediatric settings including private practice, public schools, specialty school for children with developmental differences, and early childhood intervention. 

I look forward to completing the Leadership Academy webinars am glad to be a part of this community.

Have a wonderful week all!

De'Mettria Riser, M.A.,CCC-SLP, CBIS
    Houston, TX

• 16.  RE: Introductions AND a "challenge"

Posted 02-08-2018 11:52 PM
    I just wanted to jump in here and say THANKS to all of you who have posted your intro information.  So great to see all of the unique ways that we work in this field.  Thanks for participating here.  Encourage your work colleagues to join in too!

Donna

smileydf@archildrens.org

• 17.  RE: Introductions AND a "challenge"

Posted 02-13-2018 08:40 PM
    I'm Teresa Griffith, from northeast Mississippi. I have 12+ years experience in a variety of settings, starting with nursing home, hospital (inpatient/outpatient), and the school settings. In the middle of my career I decided to take a 13 year leave and be home with my children. A few years ago, I started back into telepractice for 2 years and just recently last fall made my way back into the public school setting. I share my caseload with a Bachelor's level SLP who treats artic only. Since our caseload is split, I'm finding ways to educate myself better during the down time while I build my caseload. I recently applied for ASHA STEP mentoring program. I'm glad to have found this board. Since leaving telepractice, I do miss networking with SLPs all over the US! I'm looking forward to this group!

Teresa Griffith
    Amory, MS
    tgspeech@gmail.com

• 18.  RE: Introductions AND a "challenge"

Posted 02-14-2018 04:49 PM

Teresa – nice to meet you here in our online community.  You have a variety of experiences which certainly is an asset to this community on leadership.

Donna

Audiology Supervisor/Audiologist
    Arkansas Children's Hospital

1 Children's Way ● Slot 113  ● Little Rock, AR 72202

(501) 680-2718  direct  ● (501) 364-6881 fax
    Website Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

ACmasterbrand

• 19.  RE: Introductions AND a "challenge"

Posted 02-15-2018 03:13 PM
    Hello everyone! My name is Chrissy Lemley and I am a private practice audiologist in Maryland. My practice offers services in diagnostic testing, amplification, cochlear implants, aural rehabilitation, CAPD testing, and balance assessments. We are currently working on starting a concussion clinic as well. While I love audiology, leadership is my passion. I enjoy reading and listening to podcasts on leadership, team building, and all things motivational so if anyone has any suggestions please pass them along! I am currently serving as chair of the Early Careers Professional Committee with ADA (although I am no longer considered an early career professional, lol). I am really looking forward to collaborating with all of you and completing the webinars!

Christina Lemley
    Blacksville, WV

• 20.  RE: Introductions AND a "challenge"

Posted 02-15-2018 05:36 PM

Chrissy – it is great to "meet" you here in the Leadership Academy Community.  Welcome and I look forward to learning from you.  Please check back for more discussions on leadership and throw in ideas/resources that you have come across in your own study of leadership.

Donna

Audiology Supervisor/Audiologist
    Arkansas Children's Hospital

1 Children's Way ● Slot 113  ● Little Rock, AR 72202

(501) 680-2718  direct  ● (501) 364-6881 fax
    Website Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

ACmasterbrand

• 21.  RE: Introductions AND a "challenge"

Posted 02-15-2018 09:17 PM
    Hello, 

I am from Omaha, Nebraska and work for Madonna Rehabilitation Hospitals as the Outpatient Clinical Supervisor for Speech Therapy and our Therapeutic Learning Center.  I have enjoyed and been active in leadership roles since high school.  I am interested in continuing to grow in my leadership skills as well as being a community and national advocate for patients.  I am delighted to be part of this empowered community and look forward to learning from you all!

Amber V. Koch, MS CCC-SLP
    Elkhorn, NE

• 22.  RE: Introductions AND a "challenge"

Posted 02-23-2018 08:03 PM
    Amber - it is great to meet you here.  I know that we will all be able to share and learn from each other.  Keep checking here for more discussions and contribute when you can. 

THANKS!
    Donna

smileydf@archildrens.org

• 23.  RE: Introductions AND a "challenge"

Posted 02-24-2018 03:56 PM
    It's nice meeting everyone virtually via this post. I am a 2nd year PhD student in Informatics (emphasis human-computer interaction) at University of California, Irvine. I completed my M.A. in CSD at UT Austin in 2014 and worked for 2 years across various pediatric and geriatric settings prior to my doctoral program, and have worked several tech startups designing and evaluating educational and medical products.

My passion for research originated from my love for technology and the potential of tech to benefit (or hinder) our field practice and our clients. My current research focuses on the intersections of therapy design, instructional design, and game design using mobile apps for children who receive speech therapy, and investigate best practices in mobile interface and interaction design.

I am currently conducting a mixed method research study looking at how pediatric speech therapists use mobile apps for therapy and how were these apps designed by app designers/developers. PM me if you are interested in participating!

I looking forward to learning from the leadership academy and network with fellow members. I believe there are numerous opportunities our profession can explore with the modern technical advancement and hope to contribute to ASHA at the organizational level. If you haven't, check out ASHA's new site for the "Healthy Communication and Popular Technology Initiative": http://www.communicationandtech.org/.

Yao Du, M.A., CCC-SLP
    PhD student in Informatics
    University of California, Irvine
    sites.uci.edu/yaodu/

"Break through traditional healthcare service delivery with technology."

• 24.  RE: Introductions AND a "challenge"

Posted 02-26-2018 08:48 PM
    Yao - great to meet you here.  Your research sounds so interesting and I look forward to seeing the results of your study in the future.  Welcome!

Donna

smileydf@archildrens.org