Discussion: View Thread

• 1.  Savvy Networking

Posted 02-05-2018 12:44 AM
    Edited by Stephanie O'Silas 02-05-2018 12:47 AM
    Hello everyone, 

To start the new week right, I thought it'd be appropriate to discuss networking
    There was a time in my life when I really didn't understand this term. The effort I presumed it required was mentally overwhelming. 
    I can say that I am very comfortable 'networking smart' today. The attitude I have about it has completely changed whereby I'm doing it effortlessly now. Becoming comfortable with networking also came with the territory of growth and experience (in my case). I can definitely attribute these 3 things to improving my networking skills:
    1. Genuinely staying interested in others and in different environments 
    2. Practice ownership and management helped to mature my networking skills
    3. Adult social skills/interpersonal communication groups (amazing experience facilitated by a University Health/Counseling Department)

The latter made me heavily aware of my "communication style and nuances" (e.g. my unique style of starting conversations and breaking the ice that have/ have not worked in my favor). 

I'm curious to hear some of your experiences with networking! 
    1. What are some unique nuances that you realize you use to break the ice or keep a relationship alive?
    2. What is your comfort level with networking?
    3. What advice may you give someone that is not as comfortable with networking?
    4. In your opinion, what are reasonable and acceptable gestures in networking? (e.g. cold visits, emails, thank you cards, cold calls/texts, periodic telephone conversations or emails, etc.)
    5. Does timing matter?
    6. Are there any resources you'd like to share or hope that ASHA may offer in the future for networking skills?

Have a great week,

------------------------------
    Stephanie O'Silas, M.S. CCC/SLP
    Champion Rehabilitation & Support Services PLLC
    Vibra Specialty Hospital
    Speech-Language Pathologist
    services@championtomorrow.com

Dallas, TX

• 2.  RE: Savvy Networking

Posted 02-09-2018 12:03 AM
    Stephanie,

What a great discussion topic.  I love to network.  As I onboard new team members and graduate students in our school-based audiology work, I always tell them, "I am NOT just visiting, I am networking".  We laugh about it - but it is actually really important.  I think that it is easier to accomplish the work that needs to be done when we connect with people that we encounter and re-encounter in our work day.  I am going to specifically try to comment on your first two questions:
    1. What are some unique nuances that you realize you use to break the ice or keep a relationship alive?
    My personal style of trying to break the ice is to try to figure out how we might be connected.  I really believe in the 5-6 degrees of separation phenomena.  So I will often ask people questions like, where do you work, where did you grow up, etc to begin to zero in on how we might be connected.  This technique doesn't always work - but for the most part, it is my most successful way of beginning a networking relationship in my professional work.  
    2. What is your comfort level with networking?  At this point in my career, I feel pretty comfortable networking.  But I was painful shy (and awkward) as a teenager.  It took some time and practice to feel comfortable. 

I hope that others in this community will share their thoughts/experiences with networking.  

Donna

Donna Fisher Smiley, Ph.D., CCC-A
    Audiologist & Audiology Supervisor
    EARS Program @ Arkansas Children's Hospital
    smileydf@archildrens.org

• 3.  RE: Savvy Networking

Posted 02-10-2018 09:49 PM

Stephanie,

Wow…what a great topic to bring up and I think this is especially important for early career professionals like myself. I think networking is very important and I try to impress various ways to network and connect to the audiology interns I supervise or the undergraduate observers. Although networking is important for many different reasons, and for students, networking can be the difference from a student getting "a" job or "the" job after graduation. I want to initially begin with question #2 and expound upon what Donna said.

What is your comfort level with networking? Donna, like you, I was extremely shy. I was so shy that I was literally scared to talk to my aunts and uncles (and that is not an exaggeration). But, over time, as I began to open my mouth that nothing bad happened. So I began to talk more and ask questions. And, like Donna said, over time, I became more comfortable talking and sharing experiences with others and making connections.

I would also like to address question #4 - In your opinion, what are reasonable and acceptable gestures in networking (e.g. cold visits, emails, thank you cards, cold calls/texts, periodic telephone conversations or emails, etc.)?

I think these are all methods to network and can apply to specific situations. I would like to share a story from one of my experiences as an extern. I was speaking with one of the audiologists about my job search options and what I was doing as I was just getting started applying at the time. She told me of an institution she used to work for and that it would be a good idea to submit my curriculum vitae (CV) and cover letter she told me who to send it to. I mentioned that the place was not hiring because I was very thorough in the job search.  The audiologist said to send my CV and cover letter….and I did. A month later, I received a phone call, a screening interview, followed by an in-person interview, followed by an offer for employment! After reflection and consultation with my wife, we felt it wasn't the best fit, but two things have happened for me. First, it was a POWERFUL lesson of a networking technique that I would have never thought of doing in the past without the guidance I received…and that is to do a "cold application." Second, because everything went well with that process, I am still In contact with one of the audiologists from that institution and we have professional talks about a discipline we both do and so that professional contact/link is still there. But there different ways to network and it has to be done in a way that is specific to a particular situation, and there's no harm or foul to ask for assistance from other professionals or men

David Alexander, AuD, CCC-A
    Maryland School for the Deaf - Educational Audiologist

• 4.  RE: Savvy Networking

Posted 02-11-2018 08:01 AM
    My two cents after 36 year of practie, I know that is is never to early to start building your networks and always be willing to expand them. Yes I have lived in a lot of cities, and yes I have volunteered for alot of local, state, national and now international positions  but, as Donna pointed out, I still work to increase my network. Why? Here are just a few of the reasons:
    1. When I have a question about almost anything, I can pick up the phone and ask the person in my network who is the expert in that are to answer my question.
    2. When I am looking for a intern, fellow, or new member of our center, I can reach out to colleagues and ask them if they are interested, if they have dynamite students, or if they have interviewed anyone that were unable to hire but who might fit our needs
    3. It is just plain fun to walk into a room and see members of your network or meet people separated by only a few degrees ( as also pointed out) from people in your network) and now they are a part of your group also. 
    So, take a chance, extend a hand and introduce yourself, ask an opinion from someone who is an expert, and just volunteer, not just for ASHA but for local journal clubs, local interest groups, state association work, etc  So many of the early career professionals in my life, who may now even be mid career professionals, are people who just walked up to me and said hey, I want to volunteer in your clinic or I want to join the journal club or \I want to get involved, can you help me figure out how to do just that?
    Great topic
    Edie 

Edie Hapner, PhD CCC-SLP
    Professor
    Caruso Department of Otolaryngology
    Director of Speech Language Pathology
    USC Voice Center
    Los Angeles, CA
    ehapner@usc.edu

• 5.  RE: Savvy Networking

Posted 02-14-2018 02:39 PM
    Wow great posts so far! I too was shy (as David and Donna had mentioned in their posts) and find myself to be on the quiet side in certain situations. But I continue to work on this. Nevertheless, networking is key because it can lead to life long professional relationships, friendships, opportunities, etc. As Edie mentioned, networking can also serve as a continuous resource of information from professionals in the field especially if you have challenging cases or questions that you need advice and/or need an opinion.

Whether you are a student, early career professional, or seasoned career professional, it is never to early or too late to start networking because you never know what it may lead to. As far as acceptable gestures for networking, all that were mentioned in the initial post by Stephanie are acceptable but can be tweaked based on the relationship and availability (i.e. visiting vs calling). I still think it is nice to send cards, visit, and or make a phone call from time to time.

Gabrielle Haliburton
    Chesilhurst, NJ

• 6.  RE: Savvy Networking

Posted 02-15-2018 04:02 PM
    Might I recommend Toastmasters International for those who have to push themselves to speak up? Toastmasters' new learning program, Pathways, allows you to choose experiences that support your goals outside of the organization, including interpersonal communication and networking, as well as the public speaking training Toastmasters is known for.

I've been in Toastmasters for years, and I'm excited about the new program. I think it has great options for us to sharpen a variety of skills as professionals (training, leading, managing, organizing, networking etc.), and potentially for our clients (encouragement, support, confidence, teedback, as well as the educational program, itself).

No, I don't get paid anything by Toastmasters, in case you're wondering, but I have gained much from it.

Dawn Stone Tucker
    O'Fallon, MO
    Dawn_SLP@yahoo.com

• 7.  RE: Savvy Networking

Posted 02-15-2018 05:11 PM

Dawn – thank you for sharing that resource.  We all need those more local and targeted resources for specific skills and places.  It is great to know of the new program they will be initiating and maybe there are some in this community who could directly benefit from participating.  I don't think any of us can have too many fresh ideas.  Thank you for sharing!

Donna

Donna Fisher Smiley, Ph.D., CCC-A
    Audiology Supervisor/Audiologist
    Arkansas Children's Hospital

1 Children's Way ● Slot 113  ● Little Rock, AR 72202

(501) 680-2718  direct  ● (501) 364-6881 fax
    Website Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

ACmasterbrand

• 8.  RE: Savvy Networking

Posted 02-22-2018 05:57 AM

Can I just say that I thoroughly appreciate everyone's contribution on this topic! This is such an important conversation that we should continue to have because networking can truly be the difference in an enjoyable Speech-Language Pathology career. It can impact the degree to which we even STAY engaged. I'm happy that this discussion helped me specify examples of acceptable approaches for networking. This way-nobody looks at me crazy when I do my cold calls!

Dawn, can I find the information on Pathways readily on the Toastmaster's website? If you have anything more specific for that program, please share with us.

Out of curiosity--Edie, what do you think you may tell a graduate student that is reading this and nervous about approaching faculty? To clarify my angle, sometimes faculty may be perceived as unapproachable or puzzling for breaking the ice. What can you say to graduate students who may be struggling with networking? Can you share tips to break the ice with faculty members and/or little hacks for maintaining a long-term relationship with their instructors/professors? I imagine several benefits for staying in touch with professors-it's easier to approach them for future recommendation letters, ASHA leadership mentoring, having someone available to advise you, having a reason to remain engaged with the department well after you've graduated, etc.

I can appreciate everyone's thoughts on this matter as well-especially those that are faculty members.

Thanks,

Stephanie O'Silas, M.S. CCC/SLP
    Champion Rehabilitation & Support Services PLLC
    Vibra Specialty Hospital
    Speech-Language Pathologist
    services@championtomorrow.com
    Dallas, TX