Discussion: View Thread

• 1.  What do you think? Can you be a great leader without Technical Expertise?

Posted 12-14-2017 02:03 PM

Last week I came across this article in the Harvard Business Review by Art Markham (title is in the subject line).  To read the entire article (pretty short) here is the link: https://hbr.org/2017/11/can-you-be-a-great-leader-without-technical-expertise?referral=03759&cm_vc=rr_item_page.bottom

This idea was intriguing to me.  As a person who has been a leader in my work and my volunteer efforts, would my leadership expertise transfer to an area where I don't have specific, technical expertise? 

I would be interested in YOUR thoughts on this issue (and hopefully you can take 5 minutes and read the article linked above.  I will chime back in after others share their thoughts. 

Thanks!  Donna

------------------------------
    Donna Fisher Smiley, Ph.D., CCC-A
    Audiologist & Audiology Supervisor
    EARS Program @ Arkansas Children's Hospital
    smileydf@archildrens.org

• 2.  RE: What do you think? Can you be a great leader without Technical Expertise?

Posted 12-14-2017 10:28 PM
    Hi Donna,
    What a great article to spark some self reflection. I disagree with the author. I think while yes, leadership and experience are much needed, we have millions of channels where we can gain experience and learn. A true leader is not defined by their limitations of experience, a leader is only confined by their own self imposed limitations. Self awareness of your skills are important and doing what you need to in order to compensate/build on it for that reason, is even more important!

---------------------------------
    Stephanie Sorrentino, M.S. CCC-SLP
    Pediatric Speech-Language Pathologist
    Clinical Fellowship Coordinator
    North Shore Pediatric Therapy, Inc.
    1308 North Waukegan Road, Suite 103
    Glenview, IL 60025
    Phone: (877) 486-4140, Ext. 2071

Fax: (847) 486-4145
    Direct dial: (847)226-5393
    Email: StephanieS@nspt4kids.com
    www.KidsBlossom.com
    ---------------------------------

• 3.  RE: What do you think? Can you be a great leader without Technical Expertise?

Posted 12-18-2017 10:51 AM
    ​Hi Donna,

Thanks for sharing this article!  I think the author highlights some important points.  While there are many avenues for continuing education and building experience, we shouldn't assume that every individual will avail themselves of the breadth of these opportunities, especially as regards those leaders who might be crossing domains.  Working with a leader who is not well-versed in a specific domain can create situations of frustration and mistrust among employees/team members.  I think that providing increased opportunities for volunteerism at various levels within an industry allow for individuals to learn more domain-specific information/processes, experience a variety of situations, and see how leaders in those situations act and react.

I think that good leaders should be able to transfer their experience and knowledge to other areas, utilizing appropriate avenues to ensure that they are best prepared to address the concerns of a specific industry.  But perhaps we should also be examining those avenues of leadership education and attempting to strike a better balance between the focus on core skills and domain-specific training/problem-solving.

Santia M Sims
    Ann Arbor, MI

• 4.  RE: What do you think? Can you be a great leader without Technical Expertise?

Posted 12-18-2017 11:55 AM
    I think good leaders have the ability to know what they DON'T know and to act accordingly.  Leaders don't have to know everything but they do need to be willing and able to admit that and to draw from their resources. I respect leaders who defer to others' judgement, knowledge and skill areas that are different from their own.  To me, being a leader does not mean that you are an expert across all content areas but rather that you understand when it's time to consult with those in content areas different from yours and then listen.  Leaders are very good listeners and have the ability to gather information, reflect and then advise or act.  Just my 2 cents.

Melissa Passe
    Truman State University
    Director, Speech and Hearing Clinic
    passe@truman.edu

• 5.  RE: What do you think? Can you be a great leader without Technical Expertise?

Posted 12-19-2017 05:36 PM
    ​Donna - Thanks for sharing this article.  Here are my quick thoughts:

I think the author raises some good points that we need to consider.  I DO think that many of our (audiology & speech-language pathology) leadership skills, when developed appropriately*, readily transfer to related settings and organizations.  The key here is "related".  I have worked with rehabilitation nurses and MBA's who have cut their teeth in rehabilitation and found them to exceptional leaders.  I have also known SLPs and Audiologists who have made the successful transition to hospital and medical industry leadership (both as leaders in rehabilitation or related service lines).  There have been leaders with whom I've worked, who came from outside of the medical and rehabilitation professions, that have struggled to oversee clinical areas. The biggest challenge was that these leaders did not have a good understanding of what we do and why.  Simply surrounding themselves with good clinical managers was not enough.  They had a hard time judging the advice and opinions the clinical managers offered to create an informed decision of their own and poor choices were made as a result. 

What I took from this article is that you truly need to understand the work of the group you are leading.  Surrounding yourself with those that "know" is not enough. This resonates with my experience with leaders over the years.

I'll be interested in hearing what others think.
    Thanks!
    Kathy

*In my opinion, while some people do have natural leadership ability, to truly develop leadership skills requires purposeful learning and mentoring.  Course work, training, and on the job mentoring is required.  Those that do this have the best chance of making a successful transition into the leadership roles that they pursue or that present themselves.

Katheryn Boada
    Director, Audiology, Speech-Language Pathology & Learning Services
    Children's Hospital Colorado
    Aurora CO

• 6.  RE: What do you think? Can you be a great leader without Technical Expertise?

Posted 01-08-2018 10:48 PM
    Thanks to Stephanie, Santia, Melissa and Kathy for your replies here.  It is interesting to see others responses here related to this topic.  I promised to "chime back in" here so these were my thoughts as I read this article.  I both agreed and disagreed (how's that for fence riding!).  I think that purposeful leaders who have done as Kathy suggested and "studied" leadership can transfer those skills from one industry to another.  And as Melissa mentioned, a good leader is ready and willing to admit what they don't know (and to surround themselves with those who can fill in the gaps). I believe that there are times/situations in which people without some of the background knowledge (and baggage) bring a fresh outlook to an area.  

But (to play's devils advocate), we often advocate for or argue for either an SLP or Audiologist to have leadership roles in our clinics and/or academic departments because we want leaders who understand us and our discipline.  I get this personally - in my own department in a children's hospital I have always had a boss/leader who is an audiologist.  There are definite advantages in having someone who has the underlying background knowledge of the field.  

This article was thought provoking to me and I appreciate you all chiming in with your thoughts!

Donna Smiley

Donna Fisher Smiley, Ph.D., CCC-A
    Audiologist & Audiology Supervisor
    EARS Program @ Arkansas Children's Hospital
    smileydf@archildrens.org