Discussion: View Thread

• 1.  Early career supervision and millennials

Posted 11-17-2017 10:06 AM
    Hello ASHA Community & Leadership Family! I hope all is well. I am working on my ASHA Leadership Development Program application and I have the vision to teach others early career supervisors how to think, so they too can influence the next generation of SLPs. I am wondering, what are your biggest challenges in your day to day commitments with supervision and clinical education? What do you feel are the biggest practice gaps? 

Thank you!
    Stephanie

------------------------------
    Stephanie Sorrentino, M.S. CCC-SLP
    Pediatric Speech-Language Pathologist
    Clinical Fellowship Coordinator
    North Shore Pediatric Therapy, Inc.
    1308 North Waukegan Road, Suite 103
    Glenview, IL 60025
    Phone: (877) 486-4140, Ext. 2071

Fax: (847) 486-4145
    Direct dial: (224) 725-4137
    Email: StephanieS@nspt4kids.com
    www.KidsBlossom.com

• 2.  RE: Early career supervision and millennials

Posted 11-21-2017 10:33 AM
    Stephanie,

Thank you for this thought provoking question/discussion.  Although I am no longer "early career" (how did I get to 27 years so fast!), I continue to experience frustrations and I do learn new things every time I precept or supervise a graduate student in my own clinical work.  So here are my thoughts to your questions:

My biggest challenges in the day to day commitments with supervision and clinical education:
    As a school-based audiologist, I often have students who come to my practice site with very little experience regarding hearing assistive technology (i.e. FM/DM systems, soundfield systems, etc).  So the challenge is to get them up to speed on the "how & why" of this type of assistive device.  The challenging part is that by the time they graduate, the devices themselves will be obsolete and we will have moved on to the next generation of technology.  So I see my role as teaching them the underlying principles of the technology AND how to think through the need for and use of these devices.  At the end of the day, my challenge in this situation is teach them how to THINK and how to employ good clinical problem solving strategies.  

What do you feel are the biggest practice gaps?
    I suspect this is true in many clinical education fields, but sometimes what we teach/learn in the classroom, needs to be connected more efficiently to the implementation of that knowledge in a clinical setting.  

Great questions Stephanie - I hope that others will jump in on this discussion.  I think this discussion is actually a great example of how clinical education and supervision involves leadership at many levels.  

Donna

Donna Fisher Smiley, Ph.D., CCC-A
    Audiologist & Audiology Supervisor
    EARS Program @ Arkansas Children's Hospital
    smileydf@archildrens.org