Discussion: View Thread

• 1.  Thinking beyond yourself

Posted 12-15-2017 01:07 PM
    Hi everyone, 
    There are so many people in this group that I look up to and I suppose I am in need of some advice. I just feel that I am never done with paperwork and new clients get me further and further behind. It makes me feel awful. How can we make it so my focus is back on the kids? I'm in a private practice, so that is what makes time even more tricky. 
    I would love to hear some tips/tricks from anyone! 
    Thanks
    Stephanie

------------------------------
    Stephanie Sorrentino, M.S. CCC-SLP
    Pediatric Speech-Language Pathologist
    Clinical Fellowship Coordinator
    North Shore Pediatric Therapy, Inc.
    1308 North Waukegan Road, Suite 103
    Glenview, IL 60025
    Phone: (877) 486-4140, Ext. 2071

Fax: (847) 486-4145
    Direct dial: (847)226-5393
    Email: StephanieS@nspt4kids.com
    www.KidsBlossom.com

• 2.  RE: Thinking beyond yourself

Posted 01-06-2018 09:09 AM
    Stephanie

I don't have any magic bullet answers, but I do have some "mind" or thought tricks that I use to try to help me look at this from several angles.  
    1.  EVERYTHING that we do to prepare for and follow up on direct patient care IS patient/client care.  For example, my work group travels a lot to get to schools (to see kids and consult with school personnel).  It is easy to think that the time we spend driving doesn't count somehow.  BUT it is just part of the bigger picture of how we do what we do.  I think if we can re-frame how we see the overall work, it may give us more peace of mind.  
    2.  If I can reset my mindset about the extra duties that have to be done for every client/patient, then I hope that it allows me to focus on that client and be fully present when I with them.  
    3.  Last, one of my goals this year is to try to find some GREAT voice recognition software that will allow me to dictate my follow up notes (documentation) in order to get these done more efficiently.  

At the end of the day, I just try to remember that when my "inbox is empty" I am probably not living anymore :-)

Donna

Donna Fisher Smiley, Ph.D., CCC-A
    Audiologist & Audiology Supervisor
    EARS Program @ Arkansas Children's Hospital
    smileydf@archildrens.org