Discussion: View Thread

• 1.  Leadership and Corona

Posted 04-21-2020 01:13 PM

Just thinking about how the corona virus has impacted leadership in our lives and professions. From my perspective, I see all kinds of leaders coming out from under the weeds! Work colleagues saying – let me take that on and finding that we have some new placements for telepractice experiences that weren't there yesterday. I see "new" neighbors coming to deliver cupcakes and taking the "lead" to be sure folks are in touch with others and establishing communication that might not have been quite so regular. I see myself taking the time to touch base with alums who have moved on to great positions and opportunities to let them know I still think of them and want regular updates on their accomplishments. Often, the email note I get in return speaks to the fact that these contacts are SO important whether we are dealing with a virus or not. I somehow visualize the grads remembering how the email felt and maybe doing the same for a young professional in the future.

So, although our style may be cramped a bit, new opportunities to lead and to connect are everywhere. Hope you are having the same experience! Wren Newman

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

• 2.  RE: Leadership and Corona

Posted 04-22-2020 09:43 AM
    Wren,
    What a beautiful commentary on the situation that we are facing together as a professional community. 
    History has shown us repeatedly just how leaders emerge in times of unprecedented threats to our daily lives. From a broader historical perspective, the professions of audiology and speech-language pathology are relatively young, and this is most likely the biggest challenge to our collective ability to provide quality services and continuity of care that we have had to face in the history of our professions.
    As audiologists and speech-language pathologists, we have opportunities to demonstrate our professional leadership skills as part of our day to day work, but never before have the demands on us to flex our leadership muscles been greater. Our colleagues in healthcare settings are on the front lines supporting patients and families, many of whom are facing the worst crisis of their lives. While often placing their own personal safety in harms way, they are providing that support in a business as usual manner. Our school-based and private practice colleagues have had to build the airplane while it is in the air. They have been leading the way by tapping into their inner creative resources to develop and implement strategies to provide services to their students and clients who are sheltering in place at home, creating unprecedented obstacles to accessibility. 
    These colleagues are showing us what leadership is all about, and I have never been prouder to be part of a professional community that has taken the definition of leadership to a new level. 
    Stay safe and be well, and thank you for all you do!
    Melanie

------------------------------
    Melanie W. Hudson M.A., CCC-SLP F-ASHA
    National Director, EBS Healthcare
    Former Member, ASHA Board of Directors
    melaniehudsonslp@comcast.net
    678-357-1856
    ------------------------------