Discussion: View Thread

• 1.  "Tough and Busy Days"

Posted 02-20-2019 08:34 PM
    Hello everyone. I hope that all is well wherever you are living. I'm in the Northeast and got blasted with several inches of snow, which was fun shoveling...by hand...wet....heavy....snow. Nothing some aspirin can cure though.
    Anyway, sorry for the idle chat about weather, as exciting as that is. 
    In the "Call for Thoughts" thread, a community member mentioned how we have "tough and busy days." That kind of sparked me to ask everyone a question that I think can be a benefit to everyone here because we are all busy with work, volunteering, family, friends, etc. 

What do you do to be productive and stay on task with all that you need to do?

Ooh ooh....me first! I have issues sometimes of knowing what's going on within the day....where do I need to be? What time? Argh....that's a struggle for me. I used the phone reminders, but that didn't always work because if I set the reminder too soon before an event for that day, I would still forget or I would continue doing what I was doing.

For Christmas, my wife got me a smartwatch and I have a watch face that graphically shows arcs around the times I have an event and it shows the event in writing ("First" - Calendar Watch face"). It has helped me a lot because now when I look at my watch, I can see when I have something on the schedule. 

I'm glad I was able to answer the question before everyone else ;)

What about you? What do you do to be productive and stay on task with all that you need to do? I look forward from learning from all of you.

David

------------------------------
    David Alexander, AuD, CCC-A
    Towson University - Audiologist - Clinical Assistant Professor

• 2.  RE: "Tough and Busy Days"

Posted 02-20-2019 10:26 PM
    David,
    i love these challenges! For me when I start to get so bogged down with the "absolutely can't wait to do list", I carve out a little time for something that is important to me and brings me joy. Today my little "joy task" came in the form of working on an irb packet that I have put on the back burner for months because other things were more important. It's been a very busy 8 months completing tasks for faculty, students, and administrators. But this, this task was just for me. It was a great way to end the day. And it's given me the boost of energy to tackle the never ending to-do list...when I get back in the office.

Kathy

Kathy L. Shapley Ph.D. CCC-SLP
    Chair and Professor Speech Language Pathology
    College of Nursing and Health Sciences
    Mississippi University for Women
    1100 College St MUW-1340
    Columbus, MS 39701-5800
    Phone: 662.329.7270
    Fax: 662-329-7460

• 3.  RE: "Tough and Busy Days"

Posted 02-24-2019 10:57 PM

Kathy,
    Thank you for sharing this! Those "to-do" lists can be cumbersome. I like how you stated that you carve out time for something that brings you joy. I'm going to make a huge assumption, but I feel that most, if not all of us, get consumed with the to-do list and we work and work and sometimes the true joy may not be fully there. But, you described how you purposely carve out time for those joyful things and I think that's important for all of us. Thank you again for sharing and I can't wait to see what others post.
    David

David Alexander, AuD, CCC-A
    Towson University - Audiologist - Clinical Assistant Professor

• 4.  RE: "Tough and Busy Days"

Posted 02-25-2019 01:16 PM
    Hi All,

Thank you for such a productive and meaningful thread! Working and accomplishing tasks is rewarding and creates momentum for productivity. With this momentum, I find that I neglect down/personal/fun time. In the moment, it seems fine because I am on a roll. But I often find myself hitting a wall after too much productivity. Lately, I have found that incorporating non-work activities into my to-do lists fulfills that desire to check something else off while creating and maintaining "balance."

Take care of yourselves, 
    Nicole

Nicole Corbin
    Chapel Hill, NC

• 5.  RE: "Tough and Busy Days"

Posted 02-26-2019 07:48 AM

Hello everyone,

I just started a new 'thing'. Each day when I get to work I select 3 things: 1) the One, 2) the Frog, & 3) the Mindset. The One is the thing I want to get done. The most important thing for me that day. 2) The Frog is the thing I dread most to get done that done (you know, that 'thing' that never comes off the to do list until it is almost too late).  It comes the from the saying 'Eat the Frog'.  If you do the least desired item on your to do list (the frog), the day can only get better! 3) My Mindset for the day. Do I need to be creative, organized, in charge, a good listener, etc., today?

They are all variants of mindfulness/awareness but I find it helps me get a mindset and feel accomplished.

Today this was my One.  I have been wanting to respond to one of these posts for months.  My Frog will be grading reports (next up on my list) and my Mindset is OPEN...I am open to the thought processes of my students and how they came to these conclusions.

Have a great day.

Jenn Glassman, Ph.D., CCC-SLP, CHES

lift others

Assistant Professor

NSSLHA Advisor

Undergraduate Program Coordinator

HH2032, Mail Stop 119

2801 W. Bancroft St.

Toledo, Ohio 43606-3390

419-530-6683 Office

419-450-4488 Cell

419-5304346 Fax

Jenn.glassman@utoledo.edu

Spring '19 office hours:

Fridays 9-2

And by appointment

University of Toledo Logo

The information contained in this e-mail message is privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copy of this communication and/or attachments is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact (419) 530-6683 immediately.

• 6.  RE: "Tough and Busy Days"

Posted 02-27-2019 09:25 AM
    I love this Jenn! I will definitely borrow this idea -- thanks so much for sharing!  Lynn

Lynn Williams, PhD., CCC-SLP
    Associate Dean and Professor
    ASHA Vice President for Academic Affairs in Speech-Language Pathology (2016-2018)
    College of Clinical and Rehabilitative Health Sciences
    P.O. Box 70282
    East Tennessee State University
    Johnson City, TN 37614
    p: 423.439.7469
    f: 423.439.4240
    e: williamL@etsu.edu

• 7.  RE: "Tough and Busy Days"

Posted 02-27-2019 07:19 PM

Thank-you for sharing, Jennifer!  This is a great tool for quick prioritizing and attitude adjustment to get ready for the day.  Truly a useful tip. 

Alison A. Lemke, M.A., M.P.A., CCC-SLP, CBIS

Associate Clinical Professor

Director of Clinical Speech-Language Pathology Education

Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences

409 UCB

2501 Kittredge Loop Drive

Boulder, CO  80309-0409

Alison.Lemke@Colorado.edu

Phone: (303)492-9849

FAX: (303)492-6560

http://slhs.colorado.edu

• 8.  RE: "Tough and Busy Days"

Posted 02-27-2019 08:10 PM

I would 2nd that!  This is such a great way to think about the day.  I will be sharing this with my colleagues in my work setting for sure! Thanks for sharing your idea with us. 

Donna

Donna Fisher Smiley, Ph.D., CCC-A

ASHA Fellow
    Audiology Supervisor/Audiologist
    Arkansas Children's Hospital

1 Children's Way ● Slot 113  ● Little Rock, AR 72202

(501) 680-2718  direct  ● (501) 364-6881 fax
    WebsiteFacebookTwitterLinkedIn

ACmasterbrand