Discussion: View Thread

What is a leader?

• 1.  What is a leader?

Posted 02-04-2020 08:07 AM
    Good morning all!  

I was giving this topic some thought last night.  I am teaching a class on effective supervision and the topic of leadership came up.  I kept trying to think of the perfect way to describe a leader to the students.  Interestingly enough, they all had some very different views on what a leader actually is.  It definitely gave me some food for thought for this work week.  I thought I would pass it along here to give you an opportunity to brainstorm on what, or who, you would define as a "leader".  

To me, a leader is someone who brings people up to their potential.  Someone who gives a person a chance to grow without a ceiling.  

------------------------------
    Faith Mogila, ScD, CCC-A
    CLC Representative

• 2.  RE: What is a leader?

Posted 02-04-2020 10:20 AM
    I'll use your definition...
    A leader is honest.
    A leader inspires people to see potential in themselves and others. A leader fertilizes growth.

Catherine Constable, PhD CCC-SP
    Rye, NY

• 3.  RE: What is a leader?

Posted 02-04-2020 02:59 PM
    A leader makes it possible for others to contribute  in meaningful ways that they were often unaware they were capable of.

Melissa Passe
    Truman State University
    Director of Clinical Education
    passe@truman.edu

• 4.  RE: What is a leader?

Posted 02-05-2020 08:08 AM
    As I head out today taking on that Leadership role with my staff, these characteristics come to mind as I reflect on exactly what I will be doing as the Leader of my organization.  These characteristics come to mind:

Inspirational
    Passionate
    Empathetic 
    Visionary
    Listener

Hope this helps! 

Carrie Fleming 

Carrie Fleming, M.Ed,CCC-SLP
    Executive Director, Fleming Therapy Services, Inc
    2765 Jefferson Davis Hwy
    Suite 203
    Stafford, VA 22554

Phone: 540-720-2261
    www.flemingtherapy.com

***This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.***

• 5.  RE: What is a leader?

Posted 05-18-2020 12:45 PM
    A leader is someone who encourages growth, facilitates goal achievement, empowers others, and serves as a role model. Example setting is the single most important thing a leader can do. The next most important things a leader does is not only trust that other players will do their part, but also recognizes good work that is done.

Katherine Wrightmeyer
    High Point, NC

• 6.  RE: What is a leader?

Posted 05-19-2020 10:13 AM
    For me, leadership is about serving others.  There is a quote somewhere to the effect that "leadership is not about getting others to serve you....it's about serving others".  Asking your team, "How can I support you?, Where do you need my support?, What's going well? What can we celebrate about ______?"  

In our own field and specializations, when we are in a position of leadership, I find reflecting on the leadership I experienced from others powerful.  By coaching others in my area of specialization, encouraging those who are future/young leaders, there is hope for the future of our professions.

There are several servant-leadership quotes here:
    Top 50 Quotes About Servant Leadership | Leadership Geeks
    Leadership Geeks remove preview
    Top 50 Quotes About Servant Leadership | Leadership Geeks
    These are 50 of the best servant leadership quotes I have found in my research, from inspiring names like Martin Luther King Jr. and Ghandi, to John Maxwell and John Wooden. Whether you're looking for quotes about servant leadership to spice up your sermon, or simply inspire yourself to become a better servant leader, we hope you'll find what you're looking for here.
    View this on Leadership Geeks >

Becky Clem, MA, CCC-SLP, LSLS Cert. AVT
    Cook Children's Medical Center
    Rehab Services Education Coordinator
    becky.clem@cookchildrens.org
    o-682-303-7462
    c- 817-915-5178

• 7.  RE: What is a leader?

Posted 05-19-2020 01:21 PM
    I have been doing online mentoring during the Covid19 shutdown, and had an "aha" moment following one exchange. We were discussing things to do while her clinic was in stasis, and she texted me the next day to ask about a next step. I told her she was awesome for jumping right in. She said I had "inspired" her.

"Inspire" struck me as a real nugget of wonder: to light a spark in someone else, so they can become the next leader, or an even more invigorated team member. Sharing the fire is a great way to spread it.

Susan

• 8.  RE: What is a leader?

Posted 06-11-2020 02:36 PM
    People can be leaders in different ways. People could have a position of authority and be a leader, people can inspire others to be better and do better (or be worse and do worse, because --let's face it--there are bad leaders), or they could find new ways of doing things and share with  the team. In the era of COVID-19 shutdowns, I have taken on a little bit more of a leadership role within my organization, because I have good computer skills. When I have a problem, I figure other people have been having the same problem, and I share my solution (with detailed instructions) with my colleagues.

Katherine Wrightmeyer
    High Point, NC

• 9.  RE: What is a leader?

Posted 06-12-2020 11:45 AM
    Faith,

I think back to our ASHA convention that had the theme of Everyday leadership, leadership every day. I may have gotten the tagline wrong but essentially, it's the idea that we are all leaders and we all need to be open to learning something from everyone regardless of title/position. I love that you are talking about this with students. As the former National Advisor for NSSLHA, I hope more students understand the importance of serving in volunteer leadership roles (even those without titles) to help advocate for the profession and clients we serve. Now more than ever it takes a village to make everything work.

Stay safe and be well,
    Kathy

https://leader.pubs.asha.org/doi/10.1044/leader.FTR2.21082016.50

Kathy L. Shapley Ph.D. CCC-SLP
    Chair and Professor Speech Language Pathology
    College of Nursing and Health Sciences
    Mississippi University for Women
    1100 College St MUW-1340
    Columbus, MS 39701-5800
    Phone: 662.329.7270
    Fax: 662-329-7460

• 10.  RE: What is a leader?

Posted 06-12-2020 03:49 PM

Hi Katherine,

This is a great way to be a leader in the current COVID situation!  There is no one right way to be a leader.  Leadership is not necessarily the same thing as being in a position of authority.  There is not a single personality type that makes a good leader.  We can all be leaders in our own way, and there are so many situations where positive, value-based leadership is needed right now. It looks like you have found your own unique way to be a leader and contribute in a positive way to your organization.

Alison A. Lemke, M.A., M.P.A., CCC-SLP, CBIS

She/Her/Hers

Associate Clinical Professor

Director of SLP Clinical Education

University of Colorado, Boulder

2501 Kittredge Loop Drive

Boulder, CO 80309

Alison.Lemke@Colorado.edu

Phone: 303-735-8636

https://www.colorado.edu/slhs

• 11.  RE: What is a leader?

Posted 06-14-2020 03:20 PM

This moment in our nation's history has my mind concentrated  on leadership.  Leadership can come from unexpected places and at unexpected moments.  This is a moment when the nation may be acknowledging the reality of racial and social disparities that fly in the face of the promises of the nation's constitution. The leadership for this awakening seems to be coming not from individuals but from America's streets. From the thousands of people who are using their feet and marching to demand much-needed changes.  The people who organize and lead the marches are seldom seen, acknowledged, or known to us, but we see the results of their leadership. Much of what is happening now is the result of a 17-year old girl who had the strength, resolve and presence of mind to video the horrendous act perpetrated by a police officer. The courage she exhibited is one of the traits we say leaders should have.

Sometimes it is leadership that comes from unexpected places and at unexpected times that makes the  most difference. 

--
    Dr. Elise Davis-McFarland, CCC-SLP
    ASHA Fellow
    EDMConsulting, LLC

• 12.  RE: What is a leader?

Posted 06-15-2020 12:54 PM
    Thank you for this post. It's important that our profession stands in solidarity with the Black Lives Matter activists. I am reminded that being a leader has more to do with how one shows up as a human being than it does with being in an official position of leadership. I love your podcast and appreciate all the work you have done in our field.

--
    CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The contents of this electronic message and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information and may be legally protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message or their agent, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by reply email and then delete this message and any attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, copying, or storage of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited.

NOTE TO CLIENTS: There are inherent confidentiality risks in communicating by email.  While safeguards are in place to ensure your privacy, you should not use email communication if you are concerned about any breaches of privacy that might inadvertently occur.