Discussion: View Thread

• 1.  Mentoring

Posted 03-04-2019 09:45 AM
    Good Morning,
    As we head into March, and the spring season that always brings new growth, my thoughts turn to the responsibilities of leaders as mentors.
    We may serve as mentors as part of a more formal relationship (e.g. CF Mentor) or something less structured in which a colleague simply asks you to take him/her under your wing. The important thing to remember is that no matter how the relationship is established, the collaborative nature of the relationship needs to be emphasized.
    Effective mentors are facilitators, not directors. They are coaches offering guidance and support, relying on the mentee to provide ongoing input as to what they need and how they think the mentor may be able to help them.
    The most effective mentoring relationships occur when the mentor is able to instill the concept of the relationship as an active partnership in which each individual has a clearly defined role. That is the definition of collaboration and the key to a successful mentoring relationship in which both parties experience new growth.
    I hope that your journey as leaders provides many opportunities for mentoring. It is the most enriching experience that you will ever enjoy as a leader, and ensures new growth for future leaders.
    Happy Spring!
    Melanie

---------------------------------
    Melanie W. Hudson M.A., CCC-SLP F-ASHA
    National Director, EBS Healthcare
    Former Member, ASHA Board of Directors
    melaniehudsonslp@comcast.net
    678-357-1856
    ---------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Mentoring

Posted 03-04-2019 11:40 AM

Melanie – thank you so much for such a great reminder of what being involved in a mentoring relationship is and is not.  The point about "active partnership" really resonates with me and reminds me to listen more than I talk �� 

Happy Monday!

Donna

Donna Fisher Smiley, Ph.D., CCC-A

ASHA Fellow
    Audiology Supervisor/Audiologist
    Arkansas Children's Hospital

1 Children's Way ● Slot 113  ● Little Rock, AR 72202

(501) 680-2718  direct  ● (501) 364-6881 fax
    WebsiteFacebookTwitterLinkedIn

ACmasterbrand

• 3.  RE: Mentoring

Posted 03-04-2019 01:06 PM
    Melanie - this is a great message.  I agree with your view of mentoring relationships. For the mentor, it is a facilitating role, for sure. And, it is important for the mentor to acknowledge (and demonstrate) that she/he can learn from the mentee as well.  In this way, the seeds of mentoring skills are not just taught, but learned and experienced by the mentee.

Some of my most satisfying experiences as  I move into a more senior stage in my career are those opportunities to share what I've learned over my career with someone who is just starting out. In such conversations, I invariably end up learning something new and grow a little or a lot - exactly what I hope for the person whom I am mentoring!

Nadine
    --
    Nadine Martin, Ph.D., Professor of Communication Sciences and Disorders
    Director:   Aphasia Rehabilitation Research Laboratory and the
    Eleanor M. Saffran Center for Cognitive Neuroscience
    Mailing address:  Room 110 Weiss Hall, 1701 N. 13th Street, Philadelphia, PA  19122
    Phone:  215-204-1870 Fax:  215-204-6334
    Email:  nmartin@temple.edu
    EMSaffranCenter/Conference/ARRLab/PACT website:  http://www.saffrancenter.com/ 

• 4.  RE: Mentoring

Posted 03-04-2019 03:17 PM
    Thanks for that post about mentoring Melanie, you made some great points. Mentoring is something I have always been passionate about, and the more you do it, the more you get out of it and the better you become at it. I especially like what you said about it being important to remember we are facilitators and not directors. I always try to be cognizant of making sure I provide guidance and support as you mentioned, while not trying to change that individual into ME! Collaboration is a great way to describe it!
    Byron

------------------------------
    Byron Ross
    Houston, TX

• 5.  RE: Mentoring

Posted 03-05-2019 06:35 AM

I, too, really appreciated your message Melanie.  Mentorship is certainly about collaboration and helping to bring out the best in both the mentor and mentee.  I would also say that sometimes mentorship is less formal and perhaps not obvious to the mentor.  As leaders, we are often being "watched" by those around us so we may have impacts about which we are unaware.  I am thinking about Drew Dudley and his "everyday leadership" message.  I hope we remember to thank the people who have helped shape our careers, some of whom might not know about their influence on us.

Hopefully Spring is right around the corner!

Best, Jaynee 

Jaynee A. Handelsman, Ph.D., CCC-A
    EHDI Program Coordinator
    Michigan Medicine

Electronic Mail is not secure, may not be read every day, and should not be used for urgent or sensitive issues

• 6.  RE: Mentoring

Posted 03-06-2019 12:47 PM

I have had wonderful mentors throughout my clinical and academic career, have had times when I've felt like I've desperately needed help and then also felt like I've done good work mentoring myself ... and now I'm serving as a mentor for a junior faculty member (when did I graduate from junior faculty status?  WHEW!) – and am heading up our Faculty Development Committee at Pacific.  That (run-on sentence) being said, we've been doing some digging as a committee on some of the new information that's out there about mentoring, and thought I would drop in a few resources that we've found interesting as a faculty in the College of Ed at Pacific!  (And some could certainly be applied outside of an academic setting – the mentoring MAP is particularly interesting to me to think through who are mentors for me and where I might need additional support) – enjoy perusing!  Kerry Mandulak

NEEDS in mentoring : https://www.insidehighered.com/advice/2013/07/22/essay-calling-senior-faculty-embrace-new-style-mentoring

Mentoring Map : https://www.insidehighered.com/sites/default/server_files/files/Mentoring%20Map%5B1%5D(1).pdf

Newer faculty:  https://www.skidmore.edu/cltl/documents/BuildingYourNetwork-Aug2017.pd.pdf

Less New-er Faculty : http://web.utk.edu/~dfmp/pdf/DFMW%20Rethinking%20Mentoring_Rockquemore.pdf

Pre-Tenure:  https://www.insidehighered.com/advice/2013/08/12/essay-how-be-good-faculty-mentor-junior-professors

Post-Tenure:  https://www.insidehighered.com/advice/2017/10/25/building-network-mentors-after-you-receive-tenure-essay

Pre OR Post-Tenure:  https://www.insidehighered.com/advice/2017/10/04/benefits-newly-tenured-professors-interviewing-role-models-essay

Short and Compelling for Everyone:  https://www.insidehighered.com/advice/2014/07/14/essay-difference-between-academic-and-entrepreneurial-mindset

Pacific University's College of Education

Visionary practice. Principled advocacy. Ethical action.

-

Kerry Callahan Mandulak, PhD, CCC-SLP | Associate Professor | 503-352-1464

School of Communication Sciences & Disorders | Berglund 247 | Pronouns:  she / her / hers

Pacific University | 2043 College Way #A130 | Forest Grove, OR 97116

I am proud to work at a university that inspires students to think, care, create, and pursue justice. | pacificu.edu/coe/csd

This e-mail (including any attachments) is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 USC. 2510-2521. It is confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any retention, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. Please reply to the sender that you have received the message in error, and then delete it. Thank you.

• 7.  RE: Mentoring

Posted 03-05-2019 07:36 AM
    Good morning!

I longed for a mentor while in graduate school - someone who would guide me in the areas of research and clinical practice beyond the classroom instruction and formal clinic oversight. As a student I did not know how to connect; it seemed inappropriate to push myself on faculty who had the skills I desired.  In hindsight I guess I should have been more assertive but I just wasn't. So, while a mentor-mentee relationship should be reciprocal, I think it is incumbent on the more experienced to try to initiate those relationships. Right? 

Thanks for the nice discussion.

Wayne

Wayne A. Foster, PhD, CCC-A/SLP
    Director of Audiology
    Cheshire Center - Greensboro, NC

• 8.  RE: Mentoring

Posted 03-06-2019 09:53 AM

Melanie,

You are a wonderful mentor to students and professionals alike. I am so fortunate to have crossed paths with you. It's interesting this topic came up in the community. Just last week I had conversations with several students and a junior faculty member. A common theme I realized I was addressing with each of them was a sense of shame/embarrassment. I did my best to reassure them. When I am working with students/faculty who are learning something new I tell them if you already knew how to do this you would not be here you would be out doing "this thing". We all have to start somewhere, so please know there is no judgment when I am working with you. And I remind them to not sit in judgment on themselves. There seems to be an increasing level of perfectionism in cohorts. I tell my students (and myself) if you are uncomfortable it means you are learning something. The uncomfortableness will pass, just have patience.

Kathy

Kathy L. Shapley Ph.D. CCC-SLP

Chair and Professor Speech Language Pathology

College of Nursing and Health Sciences

Mississippi University for Women

1100 College St  MUW-1340

Columbus, MS  39701-5800

Phone:  662.329.7272

Fax: 662-329-7460