Discussion: View Thread

• 1.  "No Turn on Red"! - A Perspective in Effective Leadership

Posted 09-27-2018 09:10 AM
    I would like to thank Dr. Robert Augustine for the invitation to share some perspective with all of you; I'm truly honored. I'd also like to thank in advance those of you who are able to take a few minutes to read the following.

Approximately 15 years ago I was running late to a management meeting at the hospital that I worked for and therefore, had decided to take a short cut along some rural roads.  I came across a traffic light, seemingly out in the middle of nowhere, and as if it the light wasn't surprise enough, there was also a "No Turn On Red" sign. As I sat and impatiently waited without any other cars in sight, I began to question why there was a sign prohibiting no turning on that particular red light. Out of curiosity, I later researched the matter and discovered that several years prior there had been a terrible accident at that particular stop, warranting the need for a sign posting prohibiting a right turn. Subsequently, I had realized that there was a very good reason, beyond my own understanding and opinion, that disallowed a right turn at that location.

Later that day I had a meeting with a group of employees to announce some key policy changes and in an impromptu fashion, I had incorporated the example of the "No Turn On Red" sign into my explanation. I had explained that often times, throughout the course of our days, we adhere to policies and procedures and/or are expected to comply with and support management decisions that on the surface, may not make much sense to us and/or that we may disagree with, but nevertheless, there is good thought and rationale that went into the decision, policy, etc.   The group responded well to the example and therefore, as a reminder of this example, each time the employee work group had met, I had placed the "No Turn On Red" atop of each agenda.

Some of you may already be in a leadership role within your respective careers, and then there are those of you who are aspiring to get into a leadership role. I believe that regardless of what our titles are, we all have an opportunity to "lead". With that being said, I've found that a key element to effective leadership is helping others to see that there are plans, processes, and dynamics that extend beyond their own immediate opinions, needs, etc. When this occurs, a strong foundation exists for a collective progress and collaboration.

Over the past 27 years in leadership I've learned that there will always be a multitude of opinions and perspectives from those who we have the privilege of serving / providing leadership to. Subsequently, trying to persuade others in hopes of accomplishing a unified position / consensus is often a near impossible task. Rather, what seemed to be a catalyst for success was to focus on helping people understand that there is a greater purpose beyond their individual opinions, perceptions, and needs.   Once I've helped facilitate this understanding with others, I've found that people perseverate less on whether or not they agree with a policy, procedure, or a management decision and are more likely to engage in meaningful dialogue and solution-oriented thinking. This, in my opinion, reflects an effective leader; someone who helps an individual to understand that there is a greater purpose that is beyond the individual yet invites and encourages the individual to participate in progress.

In closing, I would have never imagined that I would have been in any sort of a leadership role when I had completed my graduate training. I look back at all of my leadership opportunities that I've been blessed with thru the years and realize that they had always began with me helping individuals, ranging from patients to co-workers to departments, to companies, to progress forward. If you can facilitate this type of movement in individuals, then your opportunities in leadership are endless.

I hope that the above has given you some additional insight and never forget that sometimes in life and leadership there is "No Turn On Red"!

------------------------------
    Gregg J. Altobella, MS CCC-SLP
    President & CEO
    The Synapse Health Group, LLC

Past Chair, ASHA Political Action Committee Board
    Past Member, ASHA Government Relations & Public Policy Board
    Past Member, ASHA Financial Planning Committee
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: "No Turn on Red"! - A Perspective in Effective Leadership

Posted 09-28-2018 03:43 PM
    I want to thank the 17 ASHA leaders who shared their leadership pathways and tips with the Leadership Academy during the month of September. They included Gail Richard, Illinois; Ryan McCreery, Nebraska; Jeanane Ferre, Illinois; Byron Ross, Texas; Rachel M. Williams, Florida; Barbara Moore, California; Charles Bishop, Mississippi; Alex Johnson, Massachusetts; Kia Johnson, Texas; Jean F. Rivera Perez, Texas; Wayne Foster, North Carolina; Don Finan, Colorado; Julie Masterson, Missouri; Wren Newman, Florida; Luke Freel, New Jersey; Shelly Chabon, Oregon; and Gregg Altobella, Indiana.

ASHA's Committee on Leadership Cultivation will host two sessions at the convention in Boston to promote leadership development. During a seminar on Thursday, November 15, at 1:30 PM, titled Leadership 101: Learn from Experienced Leaders How to Overcome Barriers & Pursue Leadership Opportunities, ASHA leaders Davetrina Gadson, Gail Richard, Paul Rao, Catherine Gottfred and Jaynee Handelsman will share leadership strategies and guidelines for overcoming barriers to. Following that session will be a poster on Friday, November 16, from 10:30 to 12:00 PM titled ASHA's Leadership Academy, Leadership Community, & Leadership Mentoring Program. This poster is designed to guide you to the leadership training opportunities available to you as ASHA members. In addition, members of the Committee on Leadership Cultivation will be available in the Empowerment Zone to answer questions related to the committee's mission of advancing leadership development for ASHA members.

You can locate all of ASHA's Leadership Academy resources, including ASHA's 5 Leadership and Mentoring programs (LDP, MSLP, S.T.E.P, SPARK, AND MARC), a library of resources available in the Leadership Academy Resource Center, the Leadership Webinars launched in 2017, and the leadership self-assessments at this link: https://community.asha.org/leadershipacademy/home. Please share these member tools with your colleagues and encourage your fellow ASHA members to engage our community in discussions that promote leadership experiences.

Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10