Discussion: View Thread

• 1.  The Gift of Volunteer Leadership

Posted 12-24-2018 12:51 PM
    Dear Friends and Colleagues,
    As my term on the ASHA Board of Directors comes to an end and the holiday season is in full swing, I have the privilege of posting my thoughts on leadership, per Gail Richard's invitation.
    As I think about leadership during this season of giving, I reflect on how much I have benefited from the gifts of my colleagues with whom I have shared volunteer service to ASHA. These gifts have included being challenged, appreciated, questioned, valued, and respected as we worked with shared commitment and passion on the tasks involved with association governance. These gifts have also included caring, support, consideration, kindness and humor as we also spent time together on less formal tasks and activities. Perhaps the most important gift is the one that keeps most of us involved in our leadership endeavors, and that is the gift of friendship that extends beyond the time of shared volunteer service.
    Gail reminded us that volunteer leadership requires a serious commitment of our time to our association, and how effective time management improves our ability to contribute that most valuable of gifts. Nadine Martin shared her observations about being a reluctant leader and reminded us how important it is for leaders to give others the gift of encouragement. Lynn Williams described how leaders sometimes need to "amp up" their giving so that their contributions are more meaningful.
    I realize that serving in a leadership role often requires a significant commitment of personal time and resources. It also requires a certain degree of knowledge, skills, and hopefully a passion for doing the work. My own leadership experience mirrors that of my colleagues, that if you manage your time effectively, encourage others to take that leap of faith, and "amp up" your commitment, you will discover that your own leadership journey will truly be the gift that keeps on giving.
    All the best for a joyful holiday season!
    Melanie

------------------------------
    Melanie W. Hudson M.A., CCC-SLP F-ASHA
    Member, ASHA Board of Directors
    Chair, SLP Advisory Council
    melaniehudsonslp@comcast.net
    678-357-1856

• 2.  RE: The Gift of Volunteer Leadership

Posted 12-25-2018 11:22 AM
    Thank you for this...!

Cheryl A. Rondinella
    Lic. Speech-Language Pathologist
    Clinical Director/Educator
    Manorville Speech Pathology
    Wading River, New York

• 3.  RE: The Gift of Volunteer Leadership

Posted 12-26-2018 08:30 AM
    Thank you Melanie. I appreciate your mention of commitment. When you agree to volunteer leadership positions, people are counting on you to meet your responsibilities. There can be a domino effect of breakdown when an individual doesn't carry through. Usually someone else has to pick up extra work, which can create tension and a lack of cohesion in the group. It is so important to understand the commitment before you accept a position and the responsibilities entailed.

Gail J Richard, PhD, CCC-SLP
    Emeritus Professor
    Director, Autism Center
    Eastern Illinois University
    gjrichard@eiu.edu
    (217) 581-2712

• 4.  RE: The Gift of Volunteer Leadership

Posted 12-26-2018 08:22 AM
    Thanks so much for that message, Melanie. Thank you, too, for serving on the ASHA Board. I hope it was a great experience!

• 5.  RE: The Gift of Volunteer Leadership

Posted 12-26-2018 01:38 PM
    Thank you for your work on the Board and in so many other venues! You have crossed paths with so many over the years there should be a “six degrees of Melanie” diagram:)

---------------------------------
    Molly Thompson MSCCC-SLP
    SIG 1 Associate Coordinator
    Pediatric Speech Language Svs
    part of the Ability Group Consortium
    Anchorage, Alaska
    ---------------------------------

• 6.  RE: The Gift of Volunteer Leadership

Posted 12-26-2018 01:56 PM
    Thank-you Melanie for your service to all of us!

Catherine Constable, PhD CCC-SP
    Rye, NY

• 7.  RE: The Gift of Volunteer Leadership

Posted 01-07-2019 01:01 PM
    I'm catching up with posts after the holidays. I loved Melanie's post about the gift of volunteer leadership. It is so true -- and brought back all the good feels of the holidays and my own leadership experiences! I noticed common themes across several posts involving commitment and passion. As Gail noted, volunteer leadership requires commitment, but as she also noted, you gain so much from the experiences, opportunities, interactions, and new friendships. A somewhat altered quote often attributed to Aristotle seems relevant: You get out what you put in. Donna's post is a wonderful call to "dare to lead" and as Melanie stated, ASHA has so many great resources to support your path. Happy New Year everyone!!

Lynn Williams, PhD., CCC-SLP
    Associate Dean and Professor
    ASHA Vice President for Academic Affairs in Speech-Language Pathology (2016-2018)
    College of Clinical and Rehabilitative Health Sciences
    P.O. Box 70282
    East Tennessee State University
    Johnson City, TN 37614
    p: 423.439.7469
    f: 423.439.4240
    e: williamL@etsu.edu