Discussion: View Thread

Moving Toward Leadership Roles

• 1.  Moving Toward Leadership Roles

Posted 09-20-2018 01:50 PM

Thanks to Bob Augustine for inviting Jean, Wayne, Don, and me to participate in this discussion.  I've already learned from reviewing the posts!

One of Bob's suggested topics was how to advance toward a desired leadership role.  My best experiences with leadership opportunities have been when they were natural outgrowths of areas in which I was already involved.  For example, I became involved in convention planning because of the need back in the early 90s to have a strand of presentations on microcomputer applications.  I was working in that area so Marilyn Newhoff asked me to chair the first convention subcommittee on computer apps.  A few short years later, I co-chaired the convention with Rick Talbott.  As with most new PhDs, my involvement with ASHA journals started when I submitted articles and then later served as a reviewer.  That led to service as an Associate Editor and a few short years later I served as ASHA VP for Research, which involved oversight of the Pub Board and journals programs.  My current position as Associate Provost started because I had a passion for ensuring that junior faculty had a strong understanding of tenure/promotion expectations.  I started as a college fellow for faculty development, then served as a provost fellow for faculty affairs, and now this position.

I share these examples because I didn't have "become convention chair or be an associate provost" on my list of goals as a doctoral student!  Rather, I focused on what was important at a specific point in my career.  Then (and this is important) I was willing to entertain the possibility of taking the next step.  I say that's important because I must confess that my initial reaction to most of the leadership opportunities was not initially positive.  When someone suggested that I apply for this administrative position, I said, "Why on earth would I do that?!"  However, the more I thought about it, the more it seemed right given where I was in my career.  Now I'm really glad I applied because I have never been happier with a job in my life.  The takeaway is that I think it is best to focus on the areas that are appropriate for your stage in career (e.g., research, professional service related to your research) but be willing to consider possibilities that will stretch you. 

------------------------------
    Julie Masterson
    SPRINGFIELD, MO
    ------------------------------