Discussion: View Thread

• 1.  Nominations for ASHA Board of Directors & Advisory Councils

Posted 11-07-2018 10:33 PM
    Leadership Academy Members,

It is that time again! Time for nominations for the ASHA Board of Directors (BOD) as well as Advisory Councils. Will you consider nominating a colleague OR yourself (yes, that is okay!). To submit nominations, log into the nominations site with your e-mail address and ASHA account number (https://www.esc-vote.com/ashanom2019/). The nomination period runs from NOW to December 4, 2018, 3:00 pm ET. Elections will take place in 2019 and those members elected will serve a 3-year term (January 1, 2020 - December 31, 2022).

Nominations are open for the following BOD positions:
    President Elect
    VP for Academic Affairs in Audiology
    VP for Standards and Ethics in Speech-Language Pathology
    VP for Planning
    Read more about each of these positions here: https://www.asha.org/About/governance/BOD/Board-of-Directors-Position-Descriptions/

Advisory Councils  (Position descriptions:  https://www.asha.org/About/governance/Advisory-Council-Position-Description)
    In this election cycle, the following states have positions open in AUDIOLOGY: North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming, International, U.S. Territories

In this election cycle, the following states have positions open in SPEECH-LANGUAGE PATHOLOGY: Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina

Think about it - Seriously! And if you have any questions or thoughts, post them here.  

Donna

------------------------------
    Donna Fisher Smiley, Ph.D., CCC-A
    Audiologist & Audiology Supervisor
    EARS Program @ Arkansas Children's Hospital
    smileydf@archildrens.org

• 2.  RE: Nominations for ASHA Board of Directors & Advisory Councils

Posted 11-08-2018 09:56 AM
    Hi Donna, 
    I have been considering this for quite some time- I am just worried about the time commitment. It's ASHA! I want to provide all time possible- but when struggling with time in day to day life of a busy SLP, is it doable? 

:) miss this forum. Hope to hear from you soon. 
    Steph

Stephanie Sorrentino, M.S. CCC-SLP
    Pediatric Speech-Language Pathologist
    Clinical Fellowship Coordinator
    North Shore Pediatric Therapy, Inc.
    1308 North Waukegan Road, Suite 103
    Glenview, IL 60025
    Phone: (877) 486-4140, Ext. 2071

Fax: (847) 486-4145
    Direct dial: (847)226-5393
    Email: StephanieS@nspt4kids.com
    www.KidsBlossom.com

• 3.  RE: Nominations for ASHA Board of Directors & Advisory Councils

Posted 11-12-2018 10:16 AM

Stephanie – Great to hear from you on this forum.  I can completely understand a person's concern about how to fit this kind of work in with the day to day "pay the bills" work ��  I think there are MANY ways to serve that provide some time limited commitments.  I think that the Advisory Councils are a good way to get started.  I also would highly recommend getting involved with a Special Interest Group (SIG) – all 19 of them have elected coordinating committees AND they have volunteer appointees that help with reviewing submissions for each of their Perspectives and for the their professional development committees. 

Last, for anyone out there reading this who hasn't volunteered at the local level, most state speech-lang-hearing associations need volunteers for many things.

As you think about volunteering for your profession, talk with your work supervisor.  Find out if he/she sees some flexibility in you doing this – and don't forget to tell them about how you can learn more about what is going on at the state and/or national level and bring that back to your work place.  They need to see the value of allowing you the flexibility (during work hours) to participate in this way.

Hope to see many of you at the ASHA Convention in Boston this week.

Donna

Audiology Supervisor/Audiologist
    Arkansas Children's Hospital

1 Children's Way ● Slot 113  ● Little Rock, AR 72202

(501) 680-2718  direct  ● (501) 364-6881 fax
    WebsiteFacebookTwitterLinkedIn

ACmasterbrand

• 4.  RE: Nominations for ASHA Board of Directors & Advisory Councils

Posted 11-13-2018 03:10 PM
    Donna, Thanks for the nod to State Associations. We have a large and active membership, but there always is a need for help with ongoing work of the executive council and in Kentucky we like to make sure we have emerging leaders in the pipeline.  
    Kelly Kleinhans
    President, KSHA

• 5.  RE: Nominations for ASHA Board of Directors & Advisory Councils

Posted 11-24-2018 12:56 PM

This seems like an appropriate thread to insert this question into:

I'm considering applying for a position with my state association as a kind of starting point, but all calls for applications/nominations are fairly vague.   Do people typically submit a resume/cover letter for these types of positions or would you suggest a less formal approach?

Best,

Danielle Garland MS CCC-SLP
    Johnson City, TN

• 6.  RE: Nominations for ASHA Board of Directors & Advisory Councils

Posted 11-24-2018 11:46 PM
    Danielle,

This is a great question to ask! And I am sure we may all vary in our approach. I was asked a similar question at the ASHA convention.

I typically like to look to research the position before applying. I usually reach out to the person currently in the role and/or those who may have experience working with that particular role. I usually state clearly that I am considering applying but had some questions. My questions are simple: 1. What do you like about the role? 2. What characteristics do you think are best suited for this role? And 3. What are some challenges you have faced in this role.

That type of insight helps me decide whether or not to apply. It gives me a good indication of whether I think I am a good applicant for the position and helps me know ‘what I am getting into’.

Hope that helps! Best wishes!

Kia

Sent from the iPhone of:
    Kia N. Johnson, Ph.D., CCC-SLP
    Associate Professor
    Comm. Sciences & Disorders
    University of Houston

• 7.  RE: Nominations for ASHA Board of Directors & Advisory Councils

Posted 11-25-2018 10:04 AM
    Most state associations have their contact information posted on their websites and some have Board vacancies and descriptions. Sending and e-mail expressing your interest is a good way to start. You can request about open positions and if you find one that interests you ask for the contact information of a person who can give you more information about it. Other good questions to ask are roles and responsibilities and time commitment. 

Liliana

• 8.  RE: Nominations for ASHA Board of Directors & Advisory Councils

Posted 11-26-2018 06:53 AM
    Greetings,
    Volunteering in your state association is a great idea and a great place to get started building a leadership profile. If your state's website does not have the information you are looking for, don't hesitate to contact the state association president. That person will definitely not take offense. On the contrary, states are always looking for good people to take on responsibilities. The president will forward your name to the correct person. (If you live in North Carolina, please contact me!) 

Wayne

Wayne A. Foster, PhD, CCC-A/SLP
    Director of Audiology
    Cheshire Center - Greensboro, NC

• 9.  RE: Nominations for ASHA Board of Directors & Advisory Councils

Posted 11-26-2018 09:24 AM

Danielle – here a few thoughts:

1.  If the state association doesn't have a formal process (an application or instructions for applying), then I would recommend that you reach out (by email maybe) to members of the Board of Directors regarding how to get involved.  Most state associations have a place on their websites that lists the members of the board. 

2.  Emailing a few board members to express interest in getting involved would be a good start.  Tell them that you are interested in volunteering and give examples of some skills that you have or that you want to develop. 

3.  Also, if you can identify any specific committees (and committee chairs) you might volunteer specifically for something.  The best example that I know of is the state association annual convention.  There are so many tasks and jobs that need to be done for those that Convention Chairs always seem to be able to use the help.  Maybe you could help with registration or maybe you could recruit/coordinate moderators for sessions.  Speakers always need to be picked up at the airport or taken to dinner.  This would be a great way for others in leadership roles to meet you. 

I hope that these ideas will help you take that leap!

Donna

ASHA Fellow
    Audiology Supervisor/Audiologist
    Arkansas Children's Hospital

1 Children's Way ● Slot 113  ● Little Rock, AR 72202

(501) 680-2718  direct  ● (501) 364-6881 fax
    WebsiteFacebookTwitterLinkedIn

ACmasterbrand