Discussion: View Thread

• 1.  Boston Convention Leadership Activities

Posted 11-28-2018 07:50 PM
    Greetings Leadership Community,

I was unable to attend the convention this year and missed out on the leadership activities that were available to members.  Would very much like to hear from anyone who made it to Boston and is willing to provide a brief summary of the leadership related activities you participated in during convention and your take-away(s).

Thank you,

Michael Kimbarow

Michael L. Kimbarow, Ph.D.,  F-ASHA
    Professor, Dept. of Communicative Disorders and Sciences

One Washington Square

San Jose, CA 95192-0079

Direct Line:408-924-3691

• 2.  RE: Boston Convention Leadership Activities

Posted 12-01-2018 06:41 PM
    Michael,

ASHA 2018 Convention was amazing!  So sorry that you were not able to attend.  I missed you.  

For me, one of the best leadership activities that I participated in was working in the Empowerment Zone on behalf of the Committee on Leadership Cultivation.  I enjoyed this b/c it gave me an opportunity to meet other ASHA members and NSSLHA members who I would not have met otherwise.  It was great to visit with others who are on a path to leadership and want to learn more.  

I hope that others will share their experiences here about their ASHA 2018 experience.  

Donna

------------------------------
    Donna Fisher Smiley, Ph.D., CCC-A
    Audiologist & Audiology Supervisor
    EARS Program @ Arkansas Children's Hospital
    smileydf@archildrens.org
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Boston Convention Leadership Activities

Posted 12-03-2018 12:10 PM
    Michael:

Donna is right, the Empowerment Zone activities were amazing, and I wanted to add these observations:

The seminar that the CLC sponsored that featured four ASHA Presidents: Kate Gottfred, Paul Rao, Jaynee Handelsman, and Gail Richard; and a member of the CLC Team, Davetrina Gadson, was amazing. I learned some very important lessons during the seminar about how to keep leading even when you are confronted with some very tough issues. The combination of leadership experience among this group was inspirational, motivational, and very practical. The opportunity to learn from these impressive leaders was one of several top ASHA 2018 experiences.

The opportunity to meet with my mentee, Don Finan, during the convention was also a top ASHA 2018 convention experience. Together, Don and I mapped out our strategies for a leadership project that will benefit both of us. I was inspired by the value of the new ASHA mentoring program and equally inspired by Don's leadership vision. This mentoring program will definitely be an asset to ASHA leadership cultivation.

The Committee on Leadership Cultivation sponsored a table at the Annual Foundation Breakfast. This breakfast "sets the stage" for all leaders in ASHA by pointing to resources and support available to advance an important initiative and by introducing member to those who successfully earned the awards. Again, I was deeply inspired by this program and so glad that we had a table of CLC members there to connect with other leaders.

Finally, the poster session sponsored by the Committee on Leadership Cultivation was well attended and I believe motivated many emerging leaders to consider the many leadership cultivation opportunities available at ASHA.

Thanks for inviting us to share these opportunities!

Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

• 4.  RE: Boston Convention Leadership Activities

Posted 12-04-2018 02:40 PM

Hello, Bob Augustine-

Any chance that your's and Don's leadership project involves opportunities for male ASHA members to connect?!

Alison A. Lemke, M.A., M.P.A., CCC-SLP, CBIS

Associate Clinical Professor

Director of Clinical Speech-Language Pathology Education

Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences

409 UCB

2501 Kittredge Loop Drive

Boulder, CO  80309-0409

Alison.Lemke@Colorado.edu

Phone: (303)492-9849

FAX: (303)492-6560

http://slhs.colorado.edu