Discussion: View Thread

December Reflections

• 1.  December Reflections

Posted 12-02-2018 10:59 AM
    Happy December!

As we near the end of 2018, I have asked the outgoing BOD members to reflect on their leadership role. You will be hearing from Lynn Williams, Melanie Hudson, Bob Fifer, and Nadine Martin during this month. I appreciate their service to ASHA and their willingness to share some thoughts with you.

As I complete my own term, I thought I'd share one of the challenges of volunteer leadership - time management! We all have family commitments, professional employment responsibilities, and other obligations to juggle when we take on volunteer leadership positions. While taking on another task might seem overwhelming, I can assure you that the rewards usually outweigh the challenges. Allow me to list a few of them:
    1.  I am so grateful for the network of professional colleagues that I have developed friendships with during my various volunteer activities. Sharing a task with other dedicated individuals builds a unique camaraderie through the shared experiences 
    2.  There is a very satisfying feeling that comes from knowing that your actions were able to make a difference for others. Being part of professional initiatives as they evolve is stimulating and rewarding. Your contributions can make things better for lots of people.
    3.  The time investment requires conscious effort on your part to make sure you are doing due diligence to your volunteer responsibilities. Build time into your day or week and put it on your schedule to make sure you carve out the necessary time. But volunteer positions usually have a set time frame that you can plan on - there is a definite end to your term that allows you to allocate your personal and professional resources of time, energy, and commitment.
    4.   At ASHA, you have incredibly talented and dedicated staff who can assist you in your volunteer role. These individuals are truly amazing in their commitment to ensure a positive member experience. They are respectful of your time and sincere in their efforts to facilitate your work on behalf of the association. I have had similar experiences with other volunteer organizations who hire competence and dedicated staff who understand the role of volunteer leaders.
    5.  You will learn new things, do things you never thought possible, and enjoy new experiences through the volunteer leadership opportunities

So set the time aside and enjoy the ride of volunteer service! You won't regret it, but might, if you pass up the opportunity!

------------------------------
    Gail Richard
    Eastern Illinois University
    Charleston, IL 61920
    gjrichard@eiu.edu
    ------------------------------