Discussion: View Thread

LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

• 1.  LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 12:00 PM
    Welcome to the 1st ever Leadership Academy Online LIVE chat hosted by ASHA's Committee on Leadership Cultivation (CLC). Today from noon to 3:00 pm ET we have Volunteer Leaders and ASHA Staff members available to "chat" with you here about preparing yourself for leadership and how to get involved in leadership for in our field.

To get us started, I am going to ASK those of you participating (live) today to tell us what you hope to get out of today's live chat?

We look forward to hearing from you all!

Donna

------------------------------
    Donna Fisher Smiley, Ph.D., CCC-A
    Audiologist & Audiology Supervisor
    EARS Program @ Arkansas Children's Hospital
    smileydf@archildrens.org

• 2.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 12:05 PM
    My own journey in leadership and volunteerism started with my parents. They both volunteered in various ways (church, civic, community) when I was growing up. Professionally, I was involved in leadership early in my career (and even as a student) with my university NSSLHA group and then helped at my state speech-lang-hearing association. That early involvement is really how it all began – at the local and state level. After many years of participating in leadership and volunteer opportunities at the local level, I had some opportunities to serve in a more national way and in 2013 I found myself on the ASHA Board of Directors (BOD) serving as VP for Audiology Practices.

My time on the ASHA BOD was extremely rewarding. I met many colleagues who turned into lifelong friends. It was a lot of work to participate in the BOD but it was WELL worth it. Beside new friends/colleagues, I gained knowledge about our field that made me a better audiologist and professional in CSD.

smileydf@archildrens.org

• 3.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 12:05 PM
    ​I look forward to learning more about leadership from the folks who REALLY engage in leadership activities all the time. Although I have had the opportunity to have leadership roles in my workplace and through opportunities through ASHA, I am continually learning from others with whom I serve.

Wren Newman
    Fort Lauderdale, FL

• 4.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 12:06 PM
    Good day!

I am excited about participating in this discussion! Every leader has room for improvement. I hope to gain ideas that will assist me in continuing to advance my leadership skills.

Also, looking forward to this ‘live chat’ format!

---------------------------------
    Kia Noelle Johnson, Ph.D., CCC-SLP
    Associate Professor
    Dept. of Communication Sci. & Disorders
    University of Houston
    100 Clinic Research Center
    Houston, TX 77204-6018
    Office: 713-743-6777
    Kjohnson6@uh.edu

• 5.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 12:09 PM
    Donna:

Many thanks for leading this discussion and I look forward to learning more from ASHA leaders during our discussion today. Like many of you I am enjoying my role as a mentor. My mentee and I have been discussing some of the important aspects of leading via ASHA opportunities. I shared that one of the most valued parts of leading on an ASHA board or committee is to make a contribution that strengthens or changes an area of importance to the professions that you care deeply about. I would like to hear more from ASHA leaders about how leading through ASHA also contributes to leading in other areas.

Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

• 6.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 12:13 PM
    @Robert Augustine I am happy to serve in this way :-)  I can tell you that one of the most valuable lessons that I have learned from volunteerism and participating in leadership in my profession is that, in most cases, I always GAIN more than I give.  That keeps me coming back for more. 

Donna​

smileydf@archildrens.org

• 7.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 12:25 PM
    That’s a great point...you do typically gain more than you give when volunteering. It also helps increase your knowledge base about the organization or association you volunteer with.

Associate Professor
    University of Houston
    Houston, TX 77204-6018
    Kjohnson6@uh.edu

• 8.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 12:31 PM
    @Kia Johnson - One of the things that I learned a long time ago is that it is so easy to complain and be disgruntled with my place of work or a professional association.  BUT once I become involved in the leadership or inner workings of that place, I find that I gain a better understanding of issues.  One of the most valuable skills that I have learned (and am still learning) is that there are often MANY MANY sides to a story (or an issue - not just 2 sides - mine and theirs).  So participating in leadership helps me to THINK differently as I encounter new problems or issues.  That skill right there is worth every minute that I have given in leadership.

Donna​​

smileydf@archildrens.org

• 9.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 12:54 PM
    So true! Getting involved often changes your outlook!

Associate Professor
    University of Houston
    Houston, TX 77204-6018
    Kjohnson6@uh.edu

• 10.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 12:32 PM
    Donna, Kia, and Andrea:

I agree that the experience and networking gained from serving on ASHA committees and boards provides new knowledge that can be applied in the workplace and in other leadership roles. The network of talent is extremely valuable. I have used my ASHA network many times to solve complex problems of leadership. Recently, I was asked to develop a list of leaders for a colloquium I was to lead. My ASHA network was a critical asset.

Like Andrea, I am interested in knowing if anyone has any questions related to nominations and elections. This is a very important opportunity and the Committee on Leadership Cultivation wants to be sure we support our members by assisting with this important process.

• 11.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 12:38 PM

I am wondering Bob, Donna, Melanie and any other current or past  ASHA BOD members on the chat...

What leadership skill(s) from the list of webinars currently on the Academy did you find you used the most during your time on the BOD and why?  Do you find that some skills you use more than others in your day to day professional lives? 

If there are any ASHA committee members on right now, we would love to hear your thoughts to these questions too...

Here is the list of webinars we currently offer in the Leadership Academy.

Andrea M. Falzarano CAE

Director, Association Governance Operations

American Speech-Language-Hearing Association

2200 Research Boulevard #225

Rockville, MD 20850-3289

afalzarano@asha.org

www.asha.org

Looking for a CE course?  Search thousands of courses at ASHA CEFind!

https://ashanet.sharepoint.com/commcenter/CustomSignatureLines/2018%20ASHA%20Convention%20Signature.jpg

• 12.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 12:47 PM
    To the question that @Andrea Falzarano poses about WHICH webinars/topics I used AND continue to use from the Leadership Academy:
    1.  During my time on the BOD, I learned about the concept of generative discussion.  If you do not know what that is, watch the webinar.  It is a tool that can be used at work (and even at home). 

2.  Just recently, I have watched the "high performing teams" and "influencing others" webinars.  I continue to learn about how to use these skills in my roles as a leader in my work place and in committee work.  I hope to use some of the information in high performing teams in future leadership roles for sure.  As I watched and thought about influencing others, I was reminded that my reaction and handling of issues impacts the people that I am charged with leading.  I have to be very purposeful about this and hope to improve in that area. 

Donna​​​

smileydf@archildrens.org

• 13.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 12:51 PM

Thank you Donna! Has anyone watched any of the webinars by chance? Which one is your favorite? What topic intrigues you that may or may not be a webinar? I have heard the concept of Resilience, Communicating effectively, and Mindfulness are topics people have mentioned they would like ASHA to consider for future webinars. 

Any others?

Andrea M. Falzarano CAE

Rockville, MD 20850-3289

afalzarano@asha.org

www.asha.org

https://ashanet.sharepoint.com/commcenter/CustomSignatureLines/2018%20ASHA%20Convention%20Signature.jpg

• 14.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 12:52 PM
    Andrea

My mentee and I recently completed the webinar on Influencing Others available through the Leadership Academy. I learned some important details about success that I have already put to good use and I encourage everyone to consider this webinar. One of the important lessons was learning how to balance advocacy, where your are trying to achieve your goal, with inquiry, where your are engaged in active listening to learn more about the other issues that might impact your advocacy. I was asked just this week to advance an important initiative and used many of the skills outlined in that webinar. Tomorrow, my mentee and I will be reviewing this and discussing how we benefitted from the webinar.

I would be interested in learning about some of the other webinars people have completed.

• 15.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 01:00 PM
    Andrea, that’s a great question. As BOD members, we each have those areas that have been the most relevant to our positions and specific situations, and they are all important, but I would say that the two that have been highlights in my experience on the BOD are generative and strategic thinking.
    Generative thinking is critical when it comes to addressing trends and longer-term planning for the future of our association. Strategic thinking is more for the present and short-term planning, emphasizing the “how” and the “what” as far as solutions and recommendations for achieving the objectives aligned with our mission and vision.
    They go hand-in-hand for the most part, and leaders need to have an understanding of the roles that both play in serving on the BOD or in any leadership position.

Melanie W. Hudson M.A., CCC-SLP F-ASHA
    Member, ASHA Board of Directors
    Chair, SLP Advisory Council
    melaniehudsonslp@comcast.net
    678-357-1856

• 16.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 12:22 PM
    @Robert Augustine asked:  How does leadership at the ASHA level contribute to leadership in other areas.  My thoughts are that anything that I have learned (content wise) from my time in leadership at the ASHA level, has informed my daily work as an audiologist and an audiology supervisor.  For example, when I served on the ASHA Board of Directors, I learned a lot about reimbursement models and issues.  I have been able to share this with my department and it has impacted the way we think about reimbursement and even productivity.  By sharing information with my co-workers and director, they have also seen the value of the time that I am away from my day to day tasks as I participate in leadership at the ASHA level.

Donna​

smileydf@archildrens.org

• 17.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 12:46 PM
    Serving in a leadership capacity within the profession has been very helpful with leading in other organizations. Any time you have the opportunity work with a variety of individuals with different skill sets and personalities builds your leadership skills and allows you to apply that experience to other capacities.

Associate Professor
    University of Houston
    Houston, TX 77204-6018
    Kjohnson6@uh.edu

• 18.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 12:28 PM

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has any questions about the Call for Nominations for the Board of Directors (BOD) or Advisory Councils (AC)? The nomination period is open right now and Haley Jones and I will be happy to answer any questions about the process or what it's like to serve on the AC or the BOD.

Additionally, the Leadership Academy has expanded this year with the Leadership Mentoring Program and the LDP Toolkit (for state associations and related professional organizations).  What topics do you have for future Academy webinars (remember it has to be a leadership skill that can be used for the profession AND for volunteering) or components of the Academy.

Andrea M. Falzarano CAE

Rockville, MD 20850-3289

afalzarano@asha.org

www.asha.org

• 19.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 12:52 PM
    Andrea,

I think a great leadership development topic to consider is something revolving around networking at professional/social events. In other words, discussion that provides participants with tools to ‘work the room’ at professional social events. I find that some of us are really good in networking, interacting, having that ‘elevator speech’, exchanging business cards, etc. And some may not have confidence in that area. But, capitalizing on these types of professional/social events may lead to leadership opportunities.

Associate Professor
    University of Houston
    Houston, TX 77204-6018
    Kjohnson6@uh.edu

• 20.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 12:53 PM

Great suggestion Kia! Thank you.

Andrea M. Falzarano CAE

Rockville, MD 20850-3289

afalzarano@asha.org

www.asha.org

• 21.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 12:30 PM
    This is a great format for sharing. Thank you Donna and Bob for getting this going, and Haley for facilitating.
    I think Bob asks a good question as far as how volunteer leadership with ASHA helps us in other areas of our professional life.
    A couple of areas that come to mind include improving and refining our skills in collaboration/working as part of a team, and in the resulting conflict that may occur as part of that dynamic. As leaders, we are confronted with the fact that not everyone is coming to the table with the same mindset, or even with the same desired outcome for a given task. It is our responsibility to ensure that we are aligned as far as identifying our goal(s) while recognizing that each individual may have a different approach to achieving same. We need to remember that this diversity is the inherent value of any collaborative effort, and as leaders, our charge is to provide the guidance and direction that celebrates all ideas and approaches as we move forward to meet our objectives.

678-357-1856

• 22.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 12:50 PM
    I appreciated Melanie's observations re: the power of collaboration in moving agendas and ideas forward. Over the course of 32+ years of various committee and leadership assignments with ASHA I've learned the importance of patience in achieving organizational change.  I also picked-up some very valuable meeting management strategies along the way that have translated very successfully to the workplace.

Michael L. Kimbarow, Ph.D.,
    Professor, Dept. of Communicative Disorders and Sciences
    San Jose State University
    One Washington Square
    San Jose, CA 95192-0021
    408-924-3691
    michael.kimbarow@sjsu.edu

• 23.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 01:30 PM
    @Michael, I really like what you said in respects to volunteering in leadership roles in the profession. I am going to reiterate it as a mental note for self! "I've learned the importance of patience in achieving organizational change."

Stephanie O'Silas, M.S. CCC/SLP
    Champion Rehabilitation & Support Services PLLC
    Vibra Specialty Hospital
    Speech-Language Pathologist
    services@championtomorrow.com
    Dallas, TX

• 24.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 01:03 PM
    @Haley Jones I know that the annual "Call for Nominations" recently came out from ASHA (https://www.asha.org/about/governance/election/).  What exactly are the positions for which nominations are being sought?  When does the nomination period close?

THANKS!
    Donna​​​

smileydf@archildrens.org

• 25.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 01:10 PM
    Thanks @Donna Smiley!

The BOD positions currently open for nominations are: 
    • President-Elect
    • VP for Academic Affairs in Audiology
    • VP for Standards and Ethics in SLP
    • Vice President for Planning 
    (See BOD Position Descriptions here)

The Audiology Advisory Council is seeking positions in states from North Dakota through Wyoming (alpha order) International position, and US Territories. 

The Speech-Language Pathology Advisory Council is seeking positions in states from Kentucky through North Carolina (again, alpha order). 

The deadline to submit nominations is Tuesday, December 4, at 3:00pm ET. 

SELF-NOMINATIONS ARE ENCOURAGED!

Haley Jones
    hjones@asha.org
    Ph: 301-296-5713

• 26.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 01:19 PM

I notice that SELF NOMINATION is allowed and encouraged.  I appreciate that and hope that folks will consider this path. 

Donna

Audiology Supervisor/Audiologist
    Arkansas Children's Hospital

1 Children's Way ● Slot 113  ● Little Rock, AR 72202

(501) 680-2718  direct  ● (501) 364-6881 fax
    WebsiteFacebookTwitterLinkedIn

ACmasterbrand

• 27.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 01:06 PM
    I'm joining a bit late and will try to catch up on the conversations, but to answer Donna's initial question, I am hoping that during today's chat I might learn some things that will allow me to approach my leadership development more holistically. Most of the leadership skills that I currently have were developed "on-the-job" and from the models provide by effective leaders around me. However, I am now seeking some form of programmatic course of study, so to speak, on leadership development that will increase my knowledge of the evidence behind successful leadership approaches. I am actively seeking leadership development opportunities that come in the way of formal programs, but I would love to hear from others about how you approached your own leadership development. If you have some favorite books to suggest, I'd love to hear about those, too.

Sarah Poissant
    Associate Professor & Graduate Program Director
    University of Massachusetts Amherst

• 28.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 01:12 PM

Thanks for joining us Sarah!  If you are looking to develop your leadership skills in an intentional, programmatic way, please take a look at ASHA's Leadership Development Program (LDP).  This is a year long competitive, application driven program and there are 2 cohorts per year.   Most of the program is virtual but we have 2 Leadership consultants that actually facilitate a kick off workshop and 8 live webinars similar to the topics in the Leadership Academy. There is applied learning involved through projects and people are placed on learning teams.  

Any other LDP grads on the chat that want to provide some comments on the program?

Take a look at the LDP webpage  https://www.asha.org/About/governance/Leadership-Development-Program/

The application period is about to open on October 29th!

Andrea M. Falzarano CAE

Rockville, MD 20850-3289

afalzarano@asha.org

www.asha.org

• 29.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 01:24 PM
    Andrea,

Thank you! I certainly have that on my to-do list. I have a leadership project to propose and look forward to the application period opening up.

Sarah

• 30.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 01:14 PM
    @Sarah Poissant Thanks for joining in here - the nice thing about this chat is that folks can come and go as needed (and catch up later).  Here are a few suggestions from my own experience:

1.  If you were to use the ASHA Leadership Academy Webinars and watch them in order - using the guided outlines and activities - you would have a very nice base of leadership development knowledge and skills. 

2. A friend recently suggested to me that if I wanted to do a self study (around a leadership topic as a matter of fact) that I should write up a syllabus for it and then take notes on my readings as I moved through a few books around my chosen topic.  This helps me to be more directed and it formalizes the process even though it is a self study.

3.  I have many favorite authors re: leadership - but right now, two that I am reading and following closely on social media are Simon Sinek and Adam Grant. 

Hope this is useful!

Donna​​

smileydf@archildrens.org

• 31.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 01:26 PM
    @Donna Smiley, thank you so much for these suggestions - they are just the kinds of things I was looking for.​

Sarah

• 32.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 01:23 PM

Hi Sarah,

I love TED Talks and in the Leadership Academy Resource Center there are a few.  One of my favorites is

Simon Sinek  https://www.ted.com/talks/simon_sinek_how_great_leaders_inspire_action

Another one is Margaret Heffernan - https://www.ted.com/talks/margaret_heffernan_the_dangers_of_willful_blindness

One of my favorite books which is a great, easy and quick read is "The Five Temptations of a CEO: A Leadership Fable".  It would take you about one day to read it.  It's written  as a fable and the 5 lessons apply to anyone not just CEOs.  

You can find the link to the book as well as others in the Leadership Academy Resource Center - Articles/books:  on.asha.org/academy-articles-books

Andrea M. Falzarano CAE

Rockville, MD 20850-3289

afalzarano@asha.org

www.asha.org

• 33.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 01:27 PM
    @Andrea Falzarano, thanks so much for these suggestions. I will certainly follow through on them.​

Sarah

• 34.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Sarah:

The Committee on Leadership Cultivation will be hosting 2 sessions at the upcoming convention in Boston. These include Session 1088 Leadership 101: Learn from Experienced Leaders How to Overcome Barriers & Pursue Leadership Opportunities. This 1-hour seminar on Thursday, November 15, from 1:30 PM - 2:30 PM will feature leadership tips from 5 ASHA leaders: Davetrina Gadson Gail J. Richard, Paul R. Rao, Catherine Gottfred, and Jaynee A. Handelsman. Al have made a significant contribution to ASHA and I believe they can offer you some perspectives on how to create a successful leadership pathway. We will also host a poster, 6275 Poster Board 199, titled ASHA's Leadership Academy, Leadership Community, & Leadership Mentoring Program on Friday, November 16, 2018 from 10:30 AM - 12:00 PM. You can discover more about creating leadership pathways.

• 35.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 01:29 PM
    @Robert Augustine, thank you for calling these to my attention. I will make sure they are on my convention planner!​​

Sarah

• 36.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Sarah,

My LMP mentee and I are currently reading “The Confidence Code”. So far this book has been eye opening in helping me self evaluate my own confidence as a leader. I would strongly recommend it for anyone who wants to build their confidence as a leader and even for those who may be okay in that area. So far, this book has really caused me to spend some time reflecting on what in my journey thus far has contributed to my leadership development.

As for continuing to develop my leadership skills. For me self-evaluation and peer-evaluation have been extremely helpful. For self-evaluation - As I wrap up a leadership role, I take some time to evaluate that leadership experience to consider what did I do well as a leader, but more importantly, what could I have been better at. Whatever ‘that’ is, I keep it in mind as I transition into the next leadership role. I also identify a trusted leader who can do the same thing. I ask them to be honest (yet supportive) with me regarding what I did well and areas that are in need of improvement.

Associate Professor
    University of Houston
    Houston, TX 77204-6018
    Kjohnson6@uh.edu

• 37.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Thank you for the recommendation Kia. I will add it to the Leadership Academy Resource Center.

Andrea M. Falzarano CAE

Rockville, MD 20850-3289

afalzarano@asha.org

www.asha.org

• 38.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 01:34 PM
    @Kia Johnson, thank you for these helpful suggestions. I will add you book recommendation to my reading list! I appreciate your suggestion leadership evaluation. I'm sure that would provide me with many helpful insights.​

Sarah Poissant

• 39.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 01:37 PM
    And Sarah...I want to mention that the evaluation process I mentioned is nothing formal. I just take time to think and reflect back on a particular leadership role or just have a chat with someone for their feedback.

Associate Professor
    University of Houston
    Houston, TX 77204-6018
    Kjohnson6@uh.edu

• 40.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 01:12 PM
    I’d like to hear from others about the trajectory or depth of their leadership experience within ASHA. Where did you start, what has been most rewarding? How did you decide on which leadership roles you would take on or pursue?

Associate Professor
    University of Houston
    Houston, TX 77204-6018
    Kjohnson6@uh.edu

• 41.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Can you please clarify "nominations"? I'd like to know if we can "nominate" individuals for AC and the EOB positions? If multiple people nominate the same person, does this improve chances for the candidate? 

Thank you,

Vibra Specialty Hospital
    Dallas, TX

• 42.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 01:31 PM
    Hi @Stephanie O'Silas​: 

You can nominate a person for an Advisory Council position in your state if your state is up for nominations/elections. 

You can nominate a person for any BOD position, regardless of where they are located, as long as he or she is an eligible ASHA member. (If they are not, they won't show up in your search when trying to nominate.)

Does that make sense? 

You only need one nomination to be considered a nominee. Nominees are reviewed by the CNE and moved forward on the slate based on the strength of their qualifications and nomination application (a separate step from the nomination itself).

Haley Jones
    hjones@asha.org
    Ph: 301-296-5713

• 43.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 01:46 PM
    Thank you @ Haley! Your explanation made perfect sense! Good to know! ​

Vibra Specialty Hospital
    Dallas, TX

• 44.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 01:27 PM
    I am also joining a bit late. I have the same questions Sarah and Dr. Johnson brought up. In addition, I am a relatively new therapist, but I am also looking for opportunities to build my leadership skills. Now that I am out of school, I am wondering where to start. I see some great suggestions already, so I will look further into the comments.

Kathryn Curry
    Houston, TX

• 45.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 01:32 PM

Definitely think about applying to ASHA's Leadership Development Program (LDP) and also taking the assessments in the Leadership Academy and following up with webinars in the Academy. It's great foundational information for anyone wanting to enhance your skills.  Take a look at the thread and you will find LDP information.

LDP - https://www.asha.org/About/governance/Leadership-Development-Program/

Assessments and Webinars - https://community.asha.org/leadershipacademy/home

Andrea M. Falzarano CAE

Rockville, MD 20850-3289

afalzarano@asha.org

www.asha.org

• 46.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 01:35 PM
    Kathryn:

The Committee on Leadership Cultivation has been working on creating examples of leadership pathways for our members. We have shared how we began with each other and so I will share with you that I began learning about leadership through my state organization when I lived in Illinois, the Illinois Speech-Language-Hearing Association. This was a very important way for me to develop a broader view of issues and state organizations are a great place to develop your network. My mentor also guided me to work on committees within my place of employment where I learned how to run a meeting and establish an agenda. These experiences helped prepare me for leadership roles both within ASHA and within my workplace.

• 47.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 01:37 PM

Great suggestion Bob! State associations are always looking for volunteers and it's a great place to start your volunteer leadership journey.

Andrea M. Falzarano CAE

Rockville, MD 20850-3289

afalzarano@asha.org

www.asha.org

• 48.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 01:46 PM

I have used this example for example for years – if you want to get your foot in the door with your state speech-lang-hearing association, contact the person in charge of the next state convention and volunteer to coordinate moderators for the all of the sessions.  It is a task that is NEEDED but it is also limited in scope and has a time frame that is doable for most of us ��

Donna

ACmasterbrand

• 49.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 01:43 PM
    @Robert Augustine mentioned that the Comm on Leadership Cultivation (CLC) members have been working on leadership profiles and pathways as illustrations of their own experiences.  Those are posted in the Leadership Academy Resources.  Go to the RESOURCES tab (or use this link:  https://community.asha.org/leadershipacademy/ourlibrary) and find the folder "Pathways and Profiles of Leadership".  You will see examples of both profiles (narrative format) and pathways (infographic type visual model) from members of the CLC as well as some templates that you can use to craft or think about your own leadership journey.

Donna​

smileydf@archildrens.org

• 50.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 01:43 PM
    Edited by Stephanie O'Silas 10-25-2018 07:37 PM
    Hi @Kathryn, 

To your question--I started by browsing ASHA's website for volunteer opportunities until I stumbled on this page: Become a Volunteer.  
    The link above lists current volunteer openings. Some volunteer roles are less formal, but still valuable experiences. For instance, I had the opportunity to be a peer reviewer twice. Being a peer reviewer was a great way to engage in continuing education and I feel it helps to build my leadership profile. I like to think that we are "growing into the expert" and engaging in volunteer roles such as peer reviews can help support that. The announcement for reviewers was posted on the same webpage. 

Another suggestion I have is to view THIS webpage below, which neatly lists ALL areas of volunteer opportunities within the association. Based on my own interests, I made a note of roles I'd like to engage in and I monitor the site periodically to see what the need is at ASHA. Here is the link that outlines all areas of participation: Get Involved!

There's a lot to do within ASHA beyond committees and board positions. 
    I hope this helps you and others. 

Vibra Specialty Hospital
    Dallas, TX

• 51.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 01:25 PM
    I spend a great deal of my time training supervisors of both grad students and clinical fellows. One of my challenges is trying to instill the concept that as a supervisor, your role is not to create your clone (with the exception of ensuring principles of ethical practice). This reflects a leadership style that many of us have encountered along the way, in which we have to become (if we have assumed a leadership role), or create, a clone (as supervisors/mentors) in order to be successful.
    What leadership style(s) do you use to encourage growth and foster independence in others? Have you had to address this challenge on a personal level in a leadership position that you have accepted, in which the expectation is that you will become the clone of your predecessor? If so, how have you achieved your own independence?

678-357-1856

• 52.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 01:53 PM
    ​I'm glad to be able to join the CHAT.  The issue of "cloning" is an important consideration that I had not rally considered in my own early mentoring from others.  One thought is that I had several mentors who brought different perspectives -- and included those that I could "mimic"  -- e.g. audiologist (I am an SLP), administrator, college professor, when my current role was to grow as a strong clinician,  Thinking back, this enabled me to learn from them without feeling that I had to be like them.  Maybe seeking multiple mentors is one answer?

Nancy Creaghead, PhD
    Professor
    University of Cincinnati
    Cincinnati, OH

• 53.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 02:01 PM
    Good afternoon everyone, glad I could join the CHAT. I just wanted to piggy back on Nancys comment about "cloning." I find the same challenges in clinical supervision as I do with mentoring-trying to guide and help the student develop their own styles and ideas, without turning the student into me. the challenge is similar with mentoring.

Byron Ross
    Houston, TX

• 54.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 02:27 PM
    ​I have been mentoring a VERY LONG time -- and still have to remind myself to sit back and listen to what the mentee wants to be and do before directing.  A message that I would have for mentees/learners is to be brave enough to speak up about YOUR goals and your own ideas about what to do to achieve them.  So what if they might be unrealistic or impractical or whatever -- it can help your mentor be a better mentor.

Nancy Creaghead, PhD
    Professor
    University of Cincinnati
    Cincinnati, OH

• 55.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 02:28 PM
    I do think the idea of multiple mentors is an important one. Maybe just acknowledging to students that we are not looking to develop clones, but that we hope they will learn some important things from us that they can pair with important things they learn from other supervisor/mentors, would be helpful. Whether we are the student or supervisor, mentee or mentor, I think keeping ourselves open to different approaches and styles is a way to encourage growth. In terms of supervision, I tell my graduate students that they need to expect to approach their clinical practice various ways as they travel from supervisor-to-supervisor, but that they should use the experiences - along with evidence supporting best practices - to develop their own, early, independent clinical pathways. They will likely learn and implement different things from different supervisors and that's a real strength of being trained by many people.

I also feel that we ourselves should not be afraid to look for mentors outside of our own immediate, professional areas. I have carried this lesson with me from the very beginning of my career. For example, when looking for teaching mentors, my department chair told me to seek effective teachers to learn from - even if they taught something far afield from me - as their approaches to teaching are what makes them effective, not the content of their classes.

--
    Sarah F. Poissant, Ph.D.
    Communication Disorders Department
    358 N. Pleasant St.
    Amherst, MA 01003
    413-545-4016 (voice)
    413-545-0803 (fax)

• 56.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 02:03 PM
    Nancy that is absolutely correct! I have a presentation on ‘Mentoring Students of Color in COMD’ and one of the main points I discuss is that ‘mentorship’ involves a team of mentors...identifying mentors that can address specific mentoring needs.

Associate Professor
    University of Houston
    Houston, TX 77204-6018
    Kjohnson6@uh.edu

• 57.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 02:20 PM
    ​I hope you have a full house for the presentation!  I will spread the word.

Nancy Creaghead, PhD
    Professor
    University of Cincinnati
    Cincinnati, OH

• 58.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 02:28 PM
    Sorry Nancy! Left some details out...this was a presentation I gave at the state association. I did submit it to the ASHA Convention. I think it is an important topic especially given that a lot of those who will work with COMD students of color may come from varying cultures and backgrounds. I will submit it again next year and keep my fingers crossed.

Associate Professor
    University of Houston
    Houston, TX 77204-6018
    Kjohnson6@uh.edu

• 59.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 01:42 PM
    I have loved reading about what webinars people suggest! I have only watched the first few so I'm definitely going to follow up on these suggestions as I continue to explore the Leadership Academy.

As a student leader, I have been asked many times how I balance school and leadership. And as a future professional, I want to know how you all balance leadership and working?

Thanks for this great discussion today!

Teigan Beck
    Utah State University SLP Graduate Student
    National NSSLHA President

• 60.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 01:59 PM
    ​One answer is that it is definitely easier when you have a  workplace that supports leadership and volunteer activities.  Certainly everyone does not have the opportunity to choose a workplace based on that ideal, but if you are committed to volunteer leadership, it is a considerattion -- AND at least something good to ask in a job interview.   Some interviewers might be impressed!

Nancy Creaghead, PhD
    Professor
    University of Cincinnati
    Cincinnati, OH

• 61.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 02:11 PM
    ​I personally have had the luxury of working in both clinical and academic environments that support volunteer leadership.  I wonder if someone is on the CHAT who successfully (or at last partially) navigated the way to leadership in a "not-so-supportive" situation.   I certainly recognize that challenge by trying to recruit individuals who would be great leaders to ASHA volunteerism and hearing that their workplace made it too difficult.

Nancy Creaghead, PhD
    Professor
    University of Cincinnati
    Cincinnati, OH

• 62.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 02:24 PM
    Nancy,

That is a good point to bring up. That is unfortunate because having that ‘work’ support as you go into leadership roles is important.

Associate Professor
    University of Houston
    Houston, TX 77204-6018
    Kjohnson6@uh.edu

• 63.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 01:59 PM
    @Teigan Beck One strategy that I have found to be useful in balancing work with leadership roles is to schedule time specifically for that leadership role. As leaders, we want to do our best and stay ‘on top of things’. But, sometimes that can lead to an imbalance of work towards a particular leadership role with neglect of other responsibilities. Balance becomes key to being successful! I migrated to actually scheduling time during my week specifically for ‘service’. I use that time to tackle any projects that need to be addressed. I also schedule time to respond to emails as well.

Associate Professor
    University of Houston
    Houston, TX 77204-6018
    Kjohnson6@uh.edu

• 64.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 02:00 PM
    @Teigan Beck - finding time is certainly a pertinent issue to ask.  Balancing leadership & volunteerism with work and personal life is a challenge.  Here are a few random thoughts from my own experience:
    1.  For me, I have always had to give up at least a little of my own personal time to be able to participate in leadership and volunteer opportunities that are outside of my work place.  However, I have also been able to demonstrate for my places of employment (which have varied from a hospital, to a university, to a school district and a state agency) that my participation in those leadership roles benefits my work.  So in many cases, I can use some of my formal work time (mixed with some of my personal time) to participate in leadership for my profession.  You have to help your employer see the VALUE in allowing you to do some leadership work for outside professional organizations.  

2.  I think that work life BALANCE is a myth (depending on how you define it).  Recently I was reading something that talked about "work life integration" and that concept resonated with me.  Sometimes it is a worthwhile trade off to be able to attend something for my son during the work day, but then give that time back to my work with an evening conf call.  I would not hold myself up to be the expert in this area (in fact I probably need therapy) BUT at the end of the day, the way I function seems to work for me and my family.  (SMILE)

Just some thoughts...Donna

smileydf@archildrens.org

• 65.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 02:02 PM
    I'm siding with Donna as I'm not sure that anyone I know found the magic needed to achieve work-life balance; but here are a few skills that contribute:

* Organization allows you to set priorities, so you can complete tasks
    * Persistence allows you to keep going even when you face barriers
    * Delegation allows you to enlist a greater circle of expertise
    * Networks (colleagues, family & friends) help you get back on track when achieving balance fails; there's some truth to "getting by with a little help for your friends."

• 66.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 02:30 PM
    Good afternoon everyone! I've enjoyed reading through the topics and rich discussions! The discussion on balance is one that is important to me. When mentoring junior faculty, I encourage them to find ways that the tripartite teaching, research, and service activities can overlap. For me, I used my clinical supervision assigned teaching time to also double as my research lab. With NIH funded intervention research, I manualized my intervention approach, which was helpful in training student clinicians (who were either 1st or 2nd semester grad students) to implement the approach with high fidelity. Finding those ways that we can think about our workloads working for us -- rather than against us -- can provide a win-win-win.

Lynn Williams, PhD., CCC-SLP
    Associate Dean and Professor
    ASHA Vice President for Academic Affairs in Speech-Language Pathology (2016-2018)
    College of Clinical and Rehabilitative Health Sciences
    P.O. Box 70282
    East Tennessee State University
    Johnson City, TN 37614
    p: 423.439.7469
    f: 423.439.4240
    e: williamL@etsu.edu

• 67.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 02:35 PM

Lynn – I love any ways that I can "work smarter, not harder".  Thank you for reminding us of that. 

Donna

ACmasterbrand

• 68.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 02:45 PM
    These are good comments pertaining to my initial question about the role of cloning in leadership, particularly in supervision and mentoring.
    I have found that one of the most effective approaches to cultivate leadership and promote independence is to incorporate critical thinking into conversations, feedback, and both informal and formal performance assessments. It is important for individuals to fully comprehend the “why” of what they are doing, and not just the “what” and the “how.”

678-357-1856

• 69.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 02:51 PM
    @Melanie Hudson Your comment affirms my interest and fascination with Simon Sinek's work and writing around "Start with Why".  Maybe I already knew it before I read his work, but man, does the idea of starting with WHY resonate with me.  When I remember WHY I am doing something, it really pushes me forward.  In the opposite way, if I cannot figure out WHY I should be involved with a particular issue or activity, that let's me know I need to get out. 

Donna​

smileydf@archildrens.org

• 70.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 03:00 PM
    I would like to offer some closing thoughts for the LIVE portion of this chat. It is nice that this chat will be preserved in the discussion section of the ASHA Leadership Academy. Feel free to continue to add to this discussion and participate over time.

A special thanks to @Haley Jones and @Andrea Falzarano of the ASHA National Office Staff. They have really worked to make all of this come together and kept it going today. For those of you who were able to participate in real-time, thanks and I hope that you gained something from the discussion. I have already ordered a new book (thanks @Kia Johnson) that was suggested during this chat (any reason to buy more books, right?!).

One of the questions that I get asked a lot is: Why is it so hard to get appointed to an ASHA committee? And what I have learned is that from a big picture perspective, the turnover from year to year on ASHA's formal committees is small. Only about 50-60 people are appointed to committees per year (and are close to 200,000 ASHA Members). The lesson for me in that information is that formal committees are not the only way to serve ASHA (or our professions).

I am a little bit of a linear thinker – so in my mind, I think that we can all continue to grow our knowledge base about leadership and volunteerism. Many great suggestions were made here today as to how to so that. Next, I would encourage us all to look around locally (work place, region and state). State associations seem to always need volunteers. From there, think about joining and being active in one of ASHA's 19 Special Interest Groups (SIGs). Look for opportunities to be a peer reviewer. ASHA routinely needs members to read and review items (e.g. Public policy plans, position statements, etc). Look for ways to be helpful and participatory. And last, take ownership for your own leadership journey – if you hit a brick wall in one area, take your journey in a different direction.

At the beginning of 2019 (probably early February), the Committee on Leadership Cultivation plans to host another online chat related to submitting proposals for presentations at conferences such as the ASHA Convention. Look for information on that in January 2019.

Hope to see many of you at the ASHA Convention in Boston in just a few weeks!

Donna
    ​​​​

smileydf@archildrens.org

• 71.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 03:05 PM

And thank you Donna for being a great leader in planning the chat today and providing a great summary of the discussion in your closing post. I agree that the discussion can continue as people read through the posts at their leisure.  Have a great rest of the day everyone.

Cheers,

Andrea  

Andrea M. Falzarano CAE

Rockville, MD 20850-3289

afalzarano@asha.org

www.asha.org

• 72.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 03:06 PM

Thanks to everyone – I really appreciate everyone's thoughtful questions, comments, and suggestions!

Sarah

-- 

Sarah F. Poissant, Ph.D.

Communication Disorders Department

358 N. Pleasant St.

Amherst, MA 01003

413-545-4016 (voice)

413-545-0803 (fax)

• 73.  RE: LIVE CHAT: Preparing and Participating in Leadership

Posted 10-25-2018 03:15 PM