Discussion: View Thread

• 1.  Thoughts: Helping to Promote Others

Posted 03-06-2019 07:37 AM
    I realize that recognition and appreciation matter to probably everyone in our professional settings.  I am reflecting on ways to be intentional about leadership cultivation. Positive praise/feedback seems to be a strong, yet subtle way to promote what we want to see. 

A question to the crowd:

Many of you may notice co-workers or students in your work setting, leading without formal authority. What are some ways that you encourage them and/or help their efforts/talents become visible to the leadership team?

------------------------------
    Stephanie O'Silas, M.S. CCC/SLP
    Champion Rehabilitation & Support Services PLLC
    Speech-Language Pathologist
    services@championtomorrow.com
    Dallas, TX

• 2.  RE: Thoughts: Helping to Promote Others

Posted 03-07-2019 05:48 PM

Stephanie,

This is a great question and I am really interested in hearing what others do.  One thing that comes to my mind immediately is that I am purposeful in giving that person feedback in several ways.  For example, this week I had an AuD graduate student with me and noted that she was really demonstrating some great leadership skills.  I emailed her after the fact to let her know that I noticed and appreciated what she had done while working with my team.  In addition, I also sent a message to the faculty at her university.  In both emails, I was very specific about what I saw her do and how I considered it to be a sign of leadership skills.  These things took minimal time and I hope that by providing specific examples, it will encourage the student to continue to act in those ways AND that the faculty in her academic program will take notice of her leadership skills.

I look forward to hearing others responses to this great question!

Donna

Donna Fisher Smiley, Ph.D., CCC-A

ASHA Fellow
    Audiology Supervisor/Audiologist
    Arkansas Children's Hospital

1 Children's Way ● Slot 113  ● Little Rock, AR 72202

(501) 680-2718  direct  ● (501) 364-6881 fax
    WebsiteFacebookTwitterLinkedIn

ACmasterbrand

• 3.  RE: Thoughts: Helping to Promote Others

Posted 03-08-2019 01:35 PM
    This is such a great discussion.  I fully realize that I am one who has benefited from others suggesting that I reach for opportunities that perhaps I hadn't considered "viable" for myself.  With mentors and colleagues encouragement, I have realized my own potential in some ways I never would have considered. 

So, as I work with students and younger clinicians who demonstrate leadership skills; I have tried to be intentional about passing along and suggesting opportunities for their personal and professional growth.  I try not to put out any pressure or expectation, but I'll say "I saw this XXX opportunity and thought of you.  Your XXX skill and XXX knowledge might make this XXX opportunity a good fit for you, now or in the future." 

Additionally, being a somewhat quiet/reserved person myself, I think we can help young leaders to realize that leadership ability is present in wide variety of personalities. Just because someone may not be the loudest voice in the room, doesn't mean they can't be a successful leader.   I feel that many people, perhaps especially introverts, need more than one push to start putting themselves out there.  We "seasoned" SLP's and Audiologists can be really helpful in guiding them toward leadership with a bit of encouragement over time. 
    Best,

Mandy Morano-Villhauer
    MS CCC-SLP, BCS-S
    Mercy Hospital, Iowa City

• 4.  RE: Thoughts: Helping to Promote Others

Posted 03-19-2019 08:56 AM
    I appreciate each of your point of views. @Amanda Morano-Villhauer I can also relate to realizing new potential in myself through mentorship and chance interactions with colleagues. I'm gathering that providing specific feedback can be very empowering for emerging leaders. I'm also curious if others have thoughts or resources on how professionals can develop their skills of giving feedback and celebrating others? ​

Stephanie O'Silas, M.S. CCC/SLP
    Champion Rehabilitation & Support Services PLLC
    Speech-Language Pathologist
    services@championtomorrow.com
    Dallas, TX