Discussion: View Thread

• 1.  Ring, ring? Guess who's calling? It's ASHA - Calling for volunteers!

Posted 01-09-2020 06:45 PM
    I am hoping that you were intrigued enough by my corny subject line to at least open up this message :-)  Happy New Year to all of you here in the ASHA Leadership Academy community. 

I don't know what your own leadership goals and aspirations are for 2020, but I do know that the ASHA Leadership Academy has a lot of great resources that you can access.  Also, be sure to share them with your co-workers. 

It is that time again - time for the ASHA Call for Volunteers.  (Follow this link)  The formal Call for Volunteers for 2020 committee vacancies is open January 1, 2020 through March 27, 2020, at 3:00 p.m. ET. Only members who complete the interest form prior to the deadline will be considered for committee vacancies with terms beginning January 1, 2021. For more information on each committee, visit the Standing Committees, Boards and Councils of the Association webpage.

As a reminder, there are a limited number of available committee (standing and ad hoc), board, and council appointments that can be made each year. BUT you can't be considered if your name isn't in the pool.  So if you are interested in serving in this way, please make sure your information is in the pool.  

Here's to a year of leadership growth for each and every one of us!

Donna Smiley
    Chair, ASHA Committee on Leadership Cultivation

------------------------------
    Donna Fisher Smiley, Ph.D., CCC-A
    ASHA Fellow
    Audiologist & Audiology Supervisor
    EARS Program @ Arkansas Children's Hospital
    smileydf@archildrens.org

• 2.  RE: Ring, ring? Guess who's calling? It's ASHA - Calling for volunteers!

Posted 01-09-2020 08:42 PM
    Got it, Donna. I'll be signing up. ��

• 3.  RE: Ring, ring? Guess who's calling? It's ASHA - Calling for volunteers!

Posted 01-14-2020 01:50 PM
    Hi there!

Thank you for posting this, Donna. I just submitted my name for your committee. I hope to collaborate with you in the near future!

Stacey

Stacey Ann Crowley
    Weaverville, NC

• 4.  RE: Ring, ring? Guess who's calling? It's ASHA - Calling for volunteers!

Posted 01-14-2020 07:37 PM

Stacey – that is awesome!  I look forward to hopefully meeting you sometime in the future.

Donna

ASHA Fellow
    Audiology Supervisor/Audiologist
    Arkansas Children's Hospital

1 Children's Way ● Slot 113  ● Little Rock, AR 72202

(501) 680-2718  direct  ● (501) 364-6881 fax
    WebsiteFacebookTwitterLinkedIn

ACmasterbrand

• 5.  RE: Ring, ring? Guess who's calling? It's ASHA - Calling for volunteers!

Posted 01-14-2020 06:55 PM
    Donna, do you know what committees have vacancies? I recall in the past seeing an asterisk by committees that had vacancies. I also think the email ASHA Governance sent out indicated there were still a few unfilled spots for committees for 2020. Do you know what committees? I did send an email in response to the one I received from ASHA Governance but received an automated message. 

Thank you. 

SallyAnn Giess

SallyAnn Giess, Ph.D., CCC-SLP
    sallyann.giess@gmail.com
    Clinical Educator
    Communication Sciences and Disorders, California State University, Fullerton
    http://communications.fullerton.edu/comd/

• 6.  RE: Ring, ring? Guess who's calling? It's ASHA - Calling for volunteers!

Posted 01-14-2020 07:36 PM

Sally – those are all GREAT questions and I need to do a little bit of research before I can answer them.  Sit tight and let me get some answers and I will share them with the group for sure.

Donna

ASHA Fellow
    Audiology Supervisor/Audiologist
    Arkansas Children's Hospital

1 Children's Way ● Slot 113  ● Little Rock, AR 72202

(501) 680-2718  direct  ● (501) 364-6881 fax
    WebsiteFacebookTwitterLinkedIn

ACmasterbrand

• 7.  RE: Ring, ring? Guess who's calling? It's ASHA - Calling for volunteers!

Posted 01-15-2020 09:24 PM
    SallyAnn and all, 

Thanks to the expertise and quick response of ASHA Staffers, Marty Moore and Andrea Falzarano, below is an answer to this question and a sneak peek at some future plans for how the volunteer identification process will work.  

The Committee Interest Form was updated in 2019 and now it is a live form that directly interacts with the member's database record. The update allows members' contact information to be pre-populated, and, once filled out, the information remains in the form. This allows the member to see what has already been entered and provides an opportunity to edit that information. Once a member submits the form, the member's committee form preference is automatically updated in ASHA's system.

In the prior process, the form on the website was static and manual entry was required once the information was submitted. Because the webpage was static, ASHA staff had a way to denote those committees that had open positions for that year. However, the old form could only note the vacancy and was not able to show whether it was an audiology or speech-language pathology position vacancy.

The other issue to consider is that, at any point during a year, any committee could have a vacancy (e.g. member resigns, etc). Therefore, it is best for ASHA members to select committees that they truly are interested in serving on because at any point that a committee has an opening, the chair and the ASHA staff ex-officio will use that committee pool to identify a person to fill that vacancy.  So regardless of whether a committee has a vacancy this next year, if you are interested, sign up for it.  

Last, ASHA staff and volunteer leaders are committed to improving the volunteer identification process with the development of a Leadership Profile and Tracking System that was proposed by the Ad Hoc Committee on Governance Review. Stay tuned for more on that.

I hope this helps some!
    Donna
    ​​​

ASHA Fellow
    Audiologist & Audiology Supervisor
    EARS Program @ Arkansas Children's Hospital
    smileydf@archildrens.org

• 8.  RE: Ring, ring? Guess who's calling? It's ASHA - Calling for volunteers!

Posted 01-16-2020 08:49 AM
    Thank you, Donna. I also heard from Marty yesterday. I appreciate your help and your sharing the information. 

SallyAnn

--

SallyAnn Giess, PhD, CCC-SLP
    Clinical Educator
    Communication Sciences and Disorders

California State University, Fullerton

http://communications.fullerton.edu/comd/