Discussion: View Thread

• 1.  Learning why we lead

Posted 12-04-2018 10:20 PM

Hello all,
    This is my first post to the Leadership Academy Community.  Gail Richard has asked me and other outgoing ASHA Board members to reflect on their experiences on the Board in relation to leadership.   This is a perfect request, as being a member of the Board embodies the call to leadership. I am just completing my 3-year term as the Director of Science and Research for ASHA.   I came into the post with anticipation of a new experience, one from which I would learn.  But, I wasn't quite sure what it was I would be learning.  I've   often "ended up" in leadership roles from my early grade school years as Captain of the school safety patrol to my current position in my university as Director of our research center.  That said, I have also filled these roles as a reluctant leader, not feeling truly up to the task.  In this time of my life, when reflection on one's actions and habits is a common mental past time, I wonder why I always felt reluctant to fill these leadership roles.   Why did I doubt that I could meet the challenges that confront any leader?  In part, it was a confidence issue, but more than that, I think it was because I thought I did not know enough or did not have the experience needed to be a leader. 

This brings me to my thoughts about my time on ASHA's Board of Directors and how it helped me understand what it means to be a leader.  I did not "end up" on the Board. Rather, a friend suggested I consider a nomination to the Board. At first, I laughed at and dismissed the suggestion, thinking I was not prepared for such a position.  Soon, though, I started to imagine filling this role and having the opportunity to contribute in an area that was quite new to me.    Although I had served on ASHA committees, my volunteer work had been largely in the science and research domain.  This VP position would also draw on that experience, but the opportunity of being part of the governance of ASHA, even for a short time, was a completely new experience for me.       And so, I put aside my reservations of being up to the task, and I took that leap, went through the nomination process and had the good fortune to be offered this chance to contribute to ASHA's mission in this way. 

What I learned about leadership from being part of the Board of Directors is that it's not about what you know or whether you have the right experience. Those elements play a role, of course. But what it is mostly about is stepping up to the plate and saying I can contribute.  I can learn from others and can share my knowledge with them, and together we can forge the path forward as leaders do.    I learned so much from my colleagues on the Board. In each meeting and each phone call and in all our activities, they demonstrated extraordinary leadership prowess, meeting responsibilities and making decisions that called for the courage of conviction as well as compromise.      And with this sharing of leadership responsibilities, came the friendships with my colleagues that I know will carry on beyond this experience.  

I'm not sure how to end this sharing of my experience, but will say that if you have any thoughts of being  a leader, do not doubt your abilities, but count on  your conviction to listen, learn and contribute.  

Nadine

------------------------------
    [Nadine] [Martin]
    [Professor Communication Sciences and Disorders]
    [Temple University]
    [Philadelphia], PA][USA]

• 2.  RE: Learning why we lead

Posted 12-05-2018 10:20 AM
    ​Nadine,

Thank you for sharing such a heartfelt reflection. I appreciate your comments of being a reluctant leader or questioning if you are up to the challenge. Often we find ourselves in situations and wonder how we got there or if we are capable of meeting the obligation. Sometimes it is about just taking one step at a time and feeling our way as we go - while also relying on the colleagues we are taking the journey with. Wonderful thoughtful comments - thank you!

Gail Richard
    Eastern Illinois University
    Charleston, IL 61920
    gjrichard@eiu.edu

• 3.  RE: Learning why we lead

Posted 12-06-2018 03:59 PM

Hi Nadine:

I just read your post on leadership--it was very powerful and I can certainly relate to your experience (even down to the detail of being the captain of the school safety squad in 6th grade!!!).  When I was initially approached to be on the board of my state association, my exact words were "But I don't know enough, I could never do something like that!"  Talk about reluctant leadership!  But as you mentioned in your post, once you accept the challenge, you realize that it's truly NOT about what you know.  It is the sharing of perspectives and experiences with others in a collaborative environment that is key in leadership, along with the willingness to step up to the plate (even if it's as a reluctant leader initially!).  And like you, as I've been involved in various volunteer positions, I've always come away feeling professionally enriched. 

Thanks again for sharing your experience,

Margot

Margot L. Beckerman, AuD, CCC-A, FNAP

Assistant Director, Michigan Balance-Vestibular Testing and Rehabilitation

Department of Otolaryngology

Michigan Medicine

(734) 232-9399

Electronic Mail is not secure, may not be read every day, and should not be used for urgent or sensitive issues