Discussion: View Thread

The lesson I have learned from my leadership experience....

• 1.  The lesson I have learned from my leadership experience....

Posted 09-23-2018 08:11 PM

When Bob Augustine sent me an email relative to a contribution to the Leadership Academy Community page, I was so honored. In my work with ASHA over many years, I truly feel privileged with the opportunity to meet and work with great professionals and those whom I consider to be the true leaders of ASHA.

No matter how much I have contributed to any leadership opportunity, I am rewarded beyond my contribution. I grow professionally and personally. I meet outstanding professionals from across the country, and I have the opportunity to contribute to the future of our association and our professions even in some small way.

I have learned the importance of sharing my experiences with students and young professionals in the hope of motivating new leaders. In some small way, I may have inspired a graduate who is now in the STARs network in Michigan, two students who submitted ASHA ethics essays and were recognized nationally, a graduate who is serving as a regional representative to the Oregon Speech and Hearing Association, a graduate who was a mentee in ASHA's STEP Mentoring Program, and a graduate who pursued a PhD and is now an associate professor in a SLP program.

I have been a speech-language pathologist for 41 years and I continue to love what I do. In fact, I think my passion for our discipline only continues to grow. My lesson learned from my leadership experiences is that I am the one who ultimately benefits from each leadership experience I am provided. The payback is superlative!

------------------------------
    Wren Newman
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    ------------------------------