Discussion: View Thread

• 1.  What is your "WHY?"

Posted 07-27-2022 09:22 AM

Hello fellow leaders!  I have been reading a book "The Path Made Clear" by Oprah Winfrey and although it is not a leadership book, per se, it really has me thinking about clearly identifying my "why" (and my true intentions) in many areas of my life, including leadership.  So, I wanted to pose the question to each of you (wherever you are in your leadership journey).  It's a question I believe we should consider/reconsider frequently.  "What is your why as a leader…right now?" Or shall I say "Why are you in your current leadership role(s)?" And for you aspiring leaders, "Why do you want to lead?"  Identifying my "why" and keeping it in clear view helps me stay focused and allows me to quickly pivot when I start to lose focus/become distracted!  Let this be an accountability opportunity/exercise, by sharing your unique "Why" with us.  I'll go first!  

My Why - I'm a leader because I desire to come alongside others to help support and encourage them to identify and then carry out their unique purpose(s)/interest(s) to their fullest potential, both professionally and personally.

Your turn… 

~Dawny

------------------------------
    Dawnyale "Dawny" Hill
    Charlotte, NC

• 2.  RE: What is your "WHY?"

Posted 07-28-2022 02:42 PM

Hi Dr. Hill/Danyale and Everyone,

I will take a stab at it..and be perhaps #2. 

(My why..)

I accept leadership roles because I am gifted as a "visionary," and greatly enjoy supporting others as –together--we strive to achieve excellence as a profession for the cases (and families) that we serve, and training excellence for the students who will eventually serve these cases (and families).  

I enjoy

-supporting others (students, junior faculty, and people with communication disorders) in achieving personal, educational and professional goals, and

-unifying/"team building for persons with differing points of view (*all points of view are of value) in order to provide cutting ways of approaching challenges that face the profession and the cases that are served.

Gloriajean

Gloriajean Wallace, M.S., Ph.D., M.Div., CCC-SLP, BC-ANCDS

Fellow, American Speech-Language-Hearing Association

Professor and Chairperson

Dept. of Communication Sciences & Disorders

Chapman University

Harry and Dianne Rinker Health Science Campus

9401 Jeronimo Rd., Irvine, CA 92618

Phone: (714) 744-2185

FAX: (949) 206-0087

she.her.hers

glwallace@chapman.edu

• 3.  RE: What is your "WHY?"

Posted 07-28-2022 02:50 PM
    This is an interesting and important question. We actually ask each of our graduate students to think about their "why?" from a clinical and career development standpoint and then post them (anonymously) in the student lounge. It is one of the things they see almost daily and serves as a frequent reminder that what we do is important.

As for me...my leadership "why?" relates to my desire to pay it forward. I was blessed to have had some very strong clinical and academic mentors over the years. For me, the most meaningful way to express my gratitude is to try to be that same some in another person's life. Servant leadership. That is my why!

Chip Hahn, MS, AuD, CCC-A/SLP
    Associate Clinical Professor
    Director of Audiology Education
    NSSLHA Chapter Advisor
    Miami University
    hahnac@miamioh.edu

• 4.  RE: What is your "WHY?"

Posted 07-29-2022 05:22 PM
    A great question Dawny!  I really like Chip's idea of having our students think about their why and then posting it anonymously in the student lounge.  I might try it this Fall.

Janet
    Janet Koehnke, PhD, CCC-A, ASHA-Fellow
    Professor and Chair
    Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders
    Montclair State University
    1515 Broad Street, Bldg B
    Bloomfield, NJ  07003
    973 655-3305 (Voice)
    973 655-3406 (Fax)

• 5.  RE: What is your "WHY?"

Posted 07-28-2022 05:55 PM
    Dawnyale-thanks for your post. I love The Path Made Clear and have a quote from it on my website "your life isn't about one big break. It's about taking one life-transforming step at a time," Oprah Winfrey-https://www.jimcartwright.org/.

Phuong Lien Palafox wrote a book called The Heartbeat of Speech-Language Pathology( the Kindle version of it is on Amazon for $3.99), in which she talks about identifying your why. 
    I will be teaching the intro class at San Francisco State this fall and plan to have each student do an exercise in which they explore defining their why with regard to choosing to go into our profession. I seem to be perpetually updating/revision my why, but here is today's version.

I am a leader because I feel called to assist others in improving their communication and cognitive skills as well as enhance their creativity. I aspire to co-create sessions with my clients rather than taking a top-down approach, as I believe each of us has untapped inner resources regarding how to best move forward with our lives.

--
    CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The contents of this electronic message and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information and may be legally protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message or their agent, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by reply email and then delete this message and any attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, copying, or storage of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited.

NOTE TO CLIENTS: There are inherent confidentiality risks in communicating by email.  While safeguards are in place to ensure your privacy, you should not use email communication if you are concerned about any breaches of privacy that might inadvertently occur. 

• 6.  RE: What is your "WHY?"

Posted 07-29-2022 11:15 AM

I have really enjoyed reading your responses and just ordered Servant Leadership to read.

I have a "why" for being a clinician, I have a "why" for teaching, but I don't have a clear "why" for leadership.

I haven't really thought of myself as a leader, I just do things that support clients, colleagues, community, and students.

Then I look at my signature line and it seems quite clear that I am a leader... I just don't know "why" I lean toward these roles.

I actually never sought these roles now that I am reviewing them, they just became what I do.

Excited to read the book before the semester begins.

Be kind, be well,

Jenn Glassman, Ph.D., CCC-SLP, CHES

Associate Professor

UToledo NSSLHA Advisor

Undergraduate Program Director

OSLHA Co-Director of University Affairs/Clinical Education

First Generation College Graduate

What does the voice of courage ask you to do?

HH2032, Mail Stop 119

2801 W. Bancroft St.

Toledo, Ohio 43606-3390

419-530-6683 Office

419-450-4488 Cell

419-5304346 Fax

Jenn.glassman@utoledo.edu

Summer '22 office hours by appointment only -emial for options

Webex link -https://utoledo.webex.com/meet/jenn.glassman

Schedule your (fall/spring) appointment here: https://calendly.com/jenn-glassman/office-hours

University of Toledo Logo

Pronouns: she, her, hers

The information contained in this e-mail message is privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copy of this communication and/or attachments is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact (419) 530-6683 immediately.

• 7.  RE: What is your "WHY?"

Posted 08-01-2022 07:03 AM
    Hello all and happy August!  I have sooooo enjoyed reading all of your responses!  I don't know about you, but reading all of these have been momentum for me, as I look at starting a new academic school year.  I am also eager to get "Servant Leadership" and "The Heartbeat of Speech Language Pathology" into my personal library, so thank you for the recommendations!  

There is still space to share your 'why'...we would love to hear them! 

Have a great day,
    Dawny

Dawnyale Hill
    Charlotte, NC

• 8.  RE: What is your "WHY?"

Posted 08-08-2022 12:34 AM
    Hello all and thank you so much for sharing your “Why”s!

I take responsibility for leadership when I want to change something or start a project with the main goal of improving people’s lives. For instance, my colleagues and I started a support group for people with swallowing disorders. We included our current and former patients and now are fully online (tanks to Covid!) helping not only Coloradans but people from out of state. If there’s a need for a change, a new beginning or just some work to be done, I am ready for it. I collaborate with other motivated people, help their voices to be heard and needs to be addressed and it brings me joy and fulfillment. Leadership for me is wisdom, knowledge, courage, and persistent work to achieve the best results for our professional and daily life.

Katia

• 9.  RE: What is your "WHY?"

Posted 08-10-2022 09:51 PM

Hello all and happy Wednesday!

Katia - I enjoyed reading your "why"s and your real time examples of you carrying out your "why"s!  Awesome! Each time I read one of your posts and now with Janet's post about GRIT, I get excited (and a little nervous...hahahaha) to dig deeper and to truly analyze my leadership path...right now!  

Thank you all!
    Dawny

Dawnyale Hill
    Charlotte, NC