Who is eligible?
Mentee applicants may be ASHA members who are
- Interested in growing their leadership skills for a volunteer or professional role;
- Already serving in an association volunteer leader capacity and wish to enhance their volunteer leadership skills;
- Early career professionals beginning their volunteer or career leadership journeys;
- Interested in becoming leaders or managers in their professional roles; or
- Leaders or managers in the profession and want to continue an upward career trajectory.
Mentor applicants may be ASHA members who have leadership
- Expertise as current or past association volunteer leaders on committees, boards, or councils at ASHA, a state association, or a related professional organization; or
- Experience in the professions (e.g., deans, directors, private practice owners, managers/supervisors).
- Experience as a mentor in other profession-related programs.
- Any other skill or expertise (such as leadership development) appropriate for a Leadership Mentoring Program.
What are the components of the LMP?
- Members interested in becoming mentees will be accepted upon completing an application. Applicants should discern what leadership competencies are a priority in their application. Mentee candidates are encouraged to complete a free skills assessment in the ASHA Leadership Academy to assess leadership priorities.
- Members interested in becoming a mentor should submit an application for consideration.
- Mentor candidates will be accepted based on their application responses AND if there is a mentee with leadership goals similar to the mentor’s experience.
- A match will occur when critical attributes of mentee and mentor application responses match (e.g., matching mentee leadership goals to mentor leadership experience/expertise).
Mentee/Mentor Wrap Up:
- Mentee – One required 1-hour orientation webinar outlining the role of a mentee and how to develop an agreement with a mentor.
- Mentor – One required1-hour orientation webinar on the role of a mentor.
- Mentee – One hour wrap up webinar to summarize and discuss their experience as a mentee.
- Mentor – One hour wrap up webinar to summarize and discuss their experience as a mentor.
Is there a fee to participate?
- This is a 6-month mentoring program with the expectation that mentees and mentors meet virtually at least once per month.
- This program is mentee-driven. Mentees should be self-motivated and should be prepared to determine the focus of the mentor relationship based on their leadership development goals.
- Mentee/mentor pairs may choose to focus on (a) volunteer leadership paths and challenges and/or (b) professional leadership paths and challenges.
- The mentee/mentor relationship allows for flexibility in the structure because the relationship is based on the needs and desires of the mentee.
There is no fee to participate.
Are CEUs provided?
No, CEUs are not available for this program.
How do I Apply?
The application period for the 2021 LMP closed June 22, 2021 at 3pm ET.
Contact your LMP staff coaches: