What is the Leadership Mentoring Program (LMP?)
ASHA’s Leadership Mentoring Program (LMP) is a pilot program in the Association’s continued efforts to develop a diverse pipeline of future leaders for the professions and ASHA volunteer leadership. Through one-on-one interactions with an experienced mentor, mentees will receive support for their leadership development goals in terms of practical advice and guidance, as well as support in identifying future career or volunteer paths.
Empowering mentee participants is an overarching design philosophy—the program is designed to be mentee-driven to allow mentees to take ownership of their learning.
Who is eligible?
Mentee applicants may be ASHA members who are
- Interested in growing their leadership skills for a volunteer or professional role;
- Already serving in an association volunteer leader capacity and wish to enhance their volunteer leadership skills;
- Early career professionals beginning their volunteer or career leadership journeys;
- Interested in becoming leaders or managers in their professional roles; or
- Leaders or managers in the profession and want to continue an upward career trajectory.
Mentor applicants may be ASHA members who have leadership
- Expertise as current or past association volunteer leaders on committees, boards, or councils at ASHA, a state association, or a related professional organization; or
- Experience in the professions (e.g., deans, directors, private practice owners, managers/supervisors).
What are the Components of the LMP?
- Members interested in becoming mentees will be accepted upon completing an application. Applicants should discern what leadership competencies are a priority in their application. Mentee candidates are encouraged to complete a free skills assessment in the ASHA Leadership Academy to assess leadership priorities.
- Members interested in becoming a mentor should submit an application for consideration.
- Mentor candidates will be accepted based on their application responses AND if there is a mentee with leadership goals similar to the mentor’s experience.
- A match will occur when critical attributes of mentee and mentor application responses match (e.g., matching mentee leadership goals to mentor leadership experience/expertise).
- Mentee – One required 1-hour orientation webinar outlining the role of a mentee and how to develop an agreement with a mentor.
- Mentor – Two required orientation webinars (1 hour each) on the role of a mentor and the skills of coaching/mentoring.
- This is a 6-month mentoring program with the suggestion that mentees and mentors meet virtually at least once per month.
- This program is mentee-driven. Mentees should be self-motivated and should be prepared to determine the focus of the mentor relationship based on their leadership development goals.
- Mentee/mentor pairs may choose to focus on (a) volunteer leadership paths and challenges and/or (b) professional leadership paths and challenges.
- The mentee/mentor relationship allows for flexibility in the structure because the relationship is based on the needs and desires of the mentee.
What are important dates for the 2018 Leadership Mentoring Program?
|May 11, 2018
||LMP Application Period Opens
|June 21, 2018
||LMP Application Period Closes at 3:00 p.m., ET
|September 12, 2018
||Mentor Orientation Webinar #1
"The Role of a Mentor"
1:00-2:00 p.m., ET
Mentee Orientation Webinar
"Role of a Mentee and How to Develop an Agreement with your Mentor"
2:30-3:30 p.m., ET
|September 17, 2018
||Mentor Orientation Webinar #2
"Skills of Coaching and Mentoring"
1:00-2:00 p.m., ET
||Informal mentee/mentor meet-up for those attending the ASHA Convention
Details to follow.
|December 4, 2018
||Mid-point Check-in Webinar for Mentors (Optional)
1:00-2:00 p.m., ET
|April 30, 2019
||LMP Concludes. Evaluations completed and submitted.
Is there a fee to participate?
There is no fee to participate.
Will CEUs be provided?
No, CEUs are not available for this program.
How do I apply?
The application period for the 2018 Leadership Mentoring Program is now closed.
Contact your LMP staff coaches: