STEP Mentees

View Only

RE:Taking The GRE this Summer!

• 1.  RE:Taking The GRE this Summer!

Posted 01-31-2014 09:52 PM

First, Take an online practice test to see where you stand! See what you need to focus on and what you think you have conquered. You may end up like I was in the beginning...a hot mess that needed to work on everything, but at least you know.

Then, you need to find a good test prep book that will work for you. I liked "GRE For Dummies". I have also heard that Kaplan is a great book (They give you a cash back guarantee that you will improve your GRE score and I was told the practice tests are slightly more difficult than the actual GRE, which makes you feel better walking out of the GRE). There are also some excellent FREE apps if you have an iPhone/iPad to push you through much of the common vocabulary. If you are one of those people who just cannot motivate yourself enough to read through the books, I suggest spending the money to take a GRE review course. Many universities offer their own version in their continuing education departments. These tend to be shorter and cheaper than the Kaplan version. I did this to help learn some math shortcuts and to get that motivation that I needed.

THESE LAST STEPS ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT!!

The web site where you schedule your GRE...ets or whatever it is... offers two downloadable practice GRE tests. At first you need to go through this test at your own pace. It is formatted the EXACT way the actual test is formatted. This is extremely important so you can learn what every button does, what the calculator will and will not allow you to do, and how you be able to view the reading passages. At least one week before you take the actual GRE I suggest you go to the web site and complete the timed second GRE. Start at the same time you have scheduled your GRE and move through it exactly like you would at the testing center (the practice test will signal you through all of your breaks just like the real thing). This trains your body and your mind so there are no surprises.

Last, but not least.... Know your testing center. Talk to others who have already been there. You do not want any surprises on test day to kick up your anxiety. Know how to get there and arrive early. Go to the bathroom before (even if you don't have to) because you won't get to go until your break. Bring a jacket just in case. My testing center was like fort Knox... No watches or necklaces... All my personal belongings went into the locker. I have to show them my ID when I arrived. Also, they made me flip out my pockets, pull up my sleeves and pant legs, and they used a metal wand. You cannot use your own paper or your own pencil.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask!!!!

-------------------------------------------
    Sunshine Bush
    Deltona, FL
    -------------------------------------------