STEP Mentees

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Weekly Training: Create a Career Roadmap Using 3 Key Questions

• 1.  Weekly Training: Create a Career Roadmap Using 3 Key Questions

Posted 04-18-2018 02:17 PM

Weekly Training: Create a Career Roadmap Using 3 Key Questions

Whether you are an undergraduate or preparing for graduation and ready to jump into your career you can benefit from a career roadmap. When you answer the three questions contained in the article, who do you see? Do your S.T.E.P. goals support the person you want to become? Read Create a Career Roadmap Using 3 Key Questions and think about it.

Take Action: Your mentor was also sent a copy of this article. Please share your responses with your mentor. Ask him/her about their career path too. Did they ask themselves questions like this? Do they also ask themselves, now, where they will be in 10 years?

career image

Let's Talk!

Charlet, Deedee & Melanie
    S.T.E.P. Coaches

------------------------------
    Melanie Johnson
    Membership Program Manager

• 2.  RE: Weekly Training: Create a Career Roadmap Using 3 Key Questions

Posted 04-26-2018 07:22 PM
    Hello everyone!

I am sure everyone is looking forward to summer break already! This article from ASHA Leader Live is a wonderful resource for career mapping for both graduate students and undergraduate students. Whatever academic stage one may be in, the idea of successful preparation for a career in speech-language pathology or audiology should be a primary goal!

• I like the first question the article poses, as "Where do you want to go?" not only now, but in 5-10 years. This is a great question that students should be asking. For undergraduate students, definitely ponder what type of setting you are interested in and try to shadow in the particular setting, medical or school. You will learn so much through observation of a speech-language pathologist doing a modified barium swallow study! Observing allowed me a chance to really figure out that the medical side of speech-language pathology is the right route for me. Whatever the case, always gain as much hands-on experience that you can. For graduate students and CF's (myself included), finding the right job can sometimes be challenging. While we often consider the "now" in application process, we must consider the "in 5-10 years" path as well. Try to apply for jobs that you think you would like and enjoy! I am interested in the PhD route as well, so I am trying to gain as much information that I can for that route.

• Another great point this article brings up is to find a mentor. This is such a great idea! Whether it be a professor in undergraduate studies or a supervisor in graduate studies, always try to find someone who wants to build you up professionally in your clinical skills and applications. Even if it may not be your supervisor, maybe another supervisor can provide guidance for you in whatever area, whether that be job application help or suggesting conferences.
    Overall, this article is a great resource for career guidance and creating a "roadmap" for speech-language pathology or audiology. Good luck with finals!

Mary Wyatt
    LA