STEP Mentees

View Only
  • 1.  Weekly Training: CF and Externship Resources

Posted 05-09-2018 04:46 PM

Graduating and securing a job are the first steps to becoming a CSD professional. Let ASHA help you prepare for your next steps. These CF and Externship resources will make your journey easier.

Discussion:
    Mentees: What are the challenges of transitioning from student to professional?

Mentors: What advice would you share with new professionals?

Audiology/Externship Resources

Answering Your Top Externship Questions

Audiology Pathway to Certification

Tips to Nab That Externship

What I Wish I'd Known About the Externship

SLP/CF
    Resources

ASHA's Clinical Fellowship Experience for Speech-Language Pathology (video)

Information for Clinical Fellows

Speech-Language Pathology Clinical Fellowship

Speech-Language Pathology Pathway to Certification

STEP logo

------------------------------
    Melanie Johnson
    Membership Program Manager

• 2.  RE: Weekly Training: CF and Externship Resources

Posted 06-01-2018 05:01 PM
    Thanks for sharing this info, Ms. Johnson! One of my S.T.E.P. goals is to write out a detailed timeline of post-graduation requirements. I will add this to my timeline.

In response to your question, the main challenge I face with transitioning from student to professional is that it can be difficult to keep track of all of information necessary for certification, state licensure, CFY placements and related information. I'm also unsure of when to complete my CFY since I am also interested in completing a PhD. Should I complete it before I start the PhD program, during, or afterwards? 

To give you some context, I am going on my second year of graduate school and I plan to graduate in Fall 2020 (my school -Governors State University- has all the practicum experiences during my third year in the program). 

Crystal Gray
    Governors State University
    University Park, IL

• 3.  RE: Weekly Training: CF and Externship Resources

Posted 06-01-2018 09:43 PM
    Hi,

As Crystal stated, thank you for sharing this information to help guide students and clinical fellows (CF). ASHA has eased the process of student-to-professional transition by providing resources like these. The ASHA video is well done and describes the process of clinical fellowship (CF) in detail. I have actually shared this on our graduate school page on social media to guide my peers! 

Crystal, I have to agree with you in your statement that your main challenge has been keeping track of all of the requirements, such as licensure and certification. I am currently about to begin in my clinical fellowship at a skilled nursing facility and I have found it challenging at times to manage all of the paperwork associated with clinical fellowship. Every state is different in licensure requirements, so unfortunately, there may not be a "standard" format to submitting licensure documents. ASHA does provide the webpage for each required state licensure documents. My biggest challenge has been the transition from full-time graduate student to a working professional. Especially, during the time of job searching, it was challenging at times to manage phone calls from recruiters while completing an externship. Also, perhaps ASHA could aid students in the clinical fellowship (CF) search, as my peers and I were always discussing a proper salary rate, productivity requirements (and what is a good productivity level?), and hour requirements for clinical fellows. 

I am also pursuing a PhD as well, and I have thought of the same question of when to apply for a PhD. What would be the best route for clinical fellows considering a PhD? Would it best to get it before, during, or afterwards? 

Have a great week! 

Mary Wyatt
    LA

• 4.  RE: Weekly Training: CF and Externship Resources

Posted 06-04-2018 10:45 AM

Hi Crystal and Mary,

Thank you both for keeping the conversation going. Would you like for me to post your messages in the mentor community so they can weigh in and provide advice/answers to your questions?

Melanie

Melanie K. Johnson

Membership Program Manager
    American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA)
    2200 Research Blvd  l  Rockville, MD  20850
    ( 301.296.8681  l   * mjohnson@asha.org