Discussion: View Thread

• 1.  Guidance on how to persist when you are challenged by a leadership role.

Posted 09-06-2018 06:38 PM

Greetings Leadership Academy Community,

I want to first thank Dr. Robert Augustine for inviting me to participate in this community. 

Over the years I have held several leadership positions as a part of state and national associations or organizations. With each of these leadership roles, I have to admit that there have been challenges and times when I truly may have felt like giving up. One of the ways that I have found to keep myself motivated and remain persistent is to have a positive quote or saying. Typically I try to focus on the positive quote or saying while trying to find answers and/or a solution to the problem. My favorite author is Dr. Maya Angelou. I have several of her quotes posted all around me (e.g., at home, in my car and at my desk). So for this post, I decided to share a few examples of how her quotes have guided me when I was challenged by my leadership role.

I've learned that I still have a lot to learn. (Maya Angelou):  As a leader, there are many different personal and professional skills that you will learn how to develop from your interactions with others. Through your various leadership experiences, you will learn valuable life lessons. Some of these lessons will be positive and others may at the time may seem negative. From the good, the bad and the ugly you find that there is always something new to learn and getting through these experiences eventually shape you into being the best you that you can be. 

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. (Maya Angelou): As a leader you must focus on making an enthusiastic effort to get members whether former, current or new actively involved in the association/organization. Effective leadership relies on wanting to inspire and motivate people to reach their fullest potential. 

When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. (Maya Angelou): First impressions can be lasting ones. Or it may take you several encounters with a person before your see his or her true colors. However once a person shows you who they really are, you must act accordingly.  There will be times when you are forced to make difficult decisions based on the actions and/or lack of actions from these individuals.

Surviving is important. Thriving is Elegant. (Maya Angelou):  
    A leader must continue to build on some of the phenomenal foundations that were established by the founders, past chairs/presidents, previous executive board members, and the membership of an association/organization.  Although surviving is important, a leader must make critical decisions in order to help the association/organization thrive. A leader must find ways to maintain the vision, enhance the purpose and creatively expand the mission of the association/organization.

You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them. (Maya Angelou): 
    As a leader you must understand that things will and sometimes have to change. Change is inevitable. You can either resist and fall victim or adapt and use it to your advantage. 

So my question to the community is what are some strategies that help you remain persistent when you are challenged by your leadership role? 

------------------------------
    Rachel Williams
    Fort Lauderdale-Davie, FL
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Guidance on how to persist when you are challenged by a leadership role.

Posted 09-07-2018 09:57 PM
    Dear Rachel, 

I needed your post! I especially love how you tailored Maya Angelou quotes to address a very relevant topic. 

For me, I rely on patience. Patience with people, patience with ideas, patience with uncomfortable situations, and patience with the results I want to see. I see patience as something worth 'practicing' like active listening. Using this in my role has been transformational and has allowed for better, tempered decision-making.

Best,
    Stephanie O'Silas M.S. CCC/SLP