Discussion: View Thread

Growing within the medical setting

• 1.  Growing within the medical setting

Posted 09-11-2018 03:29 PM
    Hello all,
    I am writing to you feeling a bit "stuck".  I am a senior SLP with almost 10 years of experience, working on a pediatric inpatient rehab unit within a nationally ranked children's hospital and even larger hospital system.  I worked in adult rehab for the competing hospital system before making the leap the pediatrics.  I love my job and feel quite comfortable saying that I am very good at what I do.  Within our department, I help make policies, create trainings, present at CEU sessions (both at our hospital and in the larger community), serve on committees in a leadership capacity, etc.  Where I have begun to feel stuck is within the larger structure of such a large corporate hospital system.  I feel like there are no opportunities for growth now that I have become a senior level, simply because there are not any positions that allow for a therapist (PT, OT, SLP) to grow into them.  All the positions require that you are either an MD or RN, which my last hospital system did not (the CEO, for example, was a PT).  Have any of you worked in this type of setting?  If so, what advice would you give to someone in my position?

Thanks so much!

------------------------------
    Rebecca Flowers
    Pittsburgh, PA
    ------------------------------