Discussion: View Thread

• 1.  Favorite Activity at ASHA 2017 Convention

Posted 11-21-2017 10:48 AM
    Did you attend the 2017 ASHA Convention in L.A. this year?  If so, what was your favorite activity? 

I have two - I enjoyed getting to meet new people in the Empowerment Zone (Leadership Academy section).  I really had a great time talking to some of you and getting to hear your leadership stories and goals.  Second, I loved the Awards Ceremony.  Getting to celebrate friends and colleagues for their achievements is always so much fun and so uplifting.  Seeing the cast members and producer from Speechless (TV Show) receive the Annie Glenn award was a great finale to the ceremony. 

What about you?  If you were there, what was your favorite session or activity?  

Donna

------------------------------
    Donna Fisher Smiley, Ph.D., CCC-A
    Audiologist & Audiology Supervisor
    EARS Program @ Arkansas Children's Hospital
    smileydf@archildrens.org

• 2.  RE: Favorite Activity at ASHA 2017 Convention

Posted 11-22-2017 08:16 AM

Thanks Donna.  I also enjoyed the activities you mentioned.  I am so excited about the Leadership Academy and it was great to hear so many positive comments about this new ASHA initiative. I was happy to see that our session and poster on the Leadership Academy were well attended by enthusiastic members.  Another one of my favorite activities was the opening ceremony.  Gail Richard did an amazing job of letting us know what ASHA has been up to, co-chairs Anita Vereb and Mary Casper brought humor to the event with their "man on the street" segment, and Goldie Hawn was fabulous.  I had a great time and would love to hear from others about their experiences.

Jaynee

Electronic Mail is not secure, may not be read every day, and should not be used for urgent or sensitive issues

• 3.  RE: Favorite Activity at ASHA 2017 Convention

Posted 11-27-2017 09:01 AM
    Donna,

I did attend the ASHA 2017 Convention this year. I have two favorites: 1. the NSSLHA experience event; if you haven't seen students compete in the knowledge bowl you are missing out! The room is filled with energy, excitement and a healthy dose of friendly competition. 2. The ASHA awards ceremony. It's so inspiring to listen to the stories of ASHA members who receive honors and every year the speech from the Annie award always brings tears to my eyes, so inspiring!

Hope to see you all in Boston in 2018!
    Kathy

Kathy Shapley
    National Advisor NSSLHA
    Greensboro,NC
    klshaple@uncg.edu
    336-256-1104

• 4.  RE: Favorite Activity at ASHA 2017 Convention

Posted 11-28-2017 07:27 PM
    Thanks Jaynee and Kathy.  There were so many great aspects of ASHA Convention 2017!

Donna

Donna Fisher Smiley, Ph.D., CCC-A
    Audiologist & Audiology Supervisor
    EARS Program @ Arkansas Children's Hospital
    smileydf@archildrens.org