Discussion: View Thread

Another day that "will live in infamy"

• 1.  Another day that "will live in infamy"

Posted 09-11-2018 02:56 PM
    As I write this post, ​I am drawn to thoughts of that fateful day, 9/11/2001, when our nation, and indeed much of the world, shook on its foundations. Together, we witnessed the devastation caused by a band of terrorists who, with a very ordinary plan, but with extraordinary will, changed the world forever. For the weeks and months following 9/11, we heard the many stories of heroism and sacrifice. Indeed, we are still talking about it. But, what does this have to do with leadership? 

I can start with the terrorists themselves. Misdirected as they were, these few individuals demonstrated to the world just what a few men can do with the right combination of planning and emotional fortitude. What these individuals could have done for the world had they directed their efforts to charity instead of war? Saddens the heart. But, how many more examples were there among those individuals on the ground, who risked life and limb to help others in more dire need? We are reminded of the firemen who entered the twin towers, never to return. We remember the images of people holding hands as they jumped from the towers, attempting to escape the fire behind them, supporting one another in the effort. And we remember the words "Let's roll!"

It is my belief that a great part of leadership is sacrifice. A great leader is one who places him/herself below those he/she leads. The leader is one who sets the example, one who accepts the greatest responsibility, one who makes the greatest sacrifice. A leader is only as great as the sum of those people he/she leads. I argue that leadership is the greatest form of service!

So, I ask you, what examples of leadership come to your mind as you think back on 9/11? Is there anything we can learn from what happened that day that might affect us in our everyday work? How can we try to emulate those leaders we have come to admire?

I think it would be great to hear some thoughts on this... as a meditation on leadership, but also in remembrance of those we lost that day.

Charles

------------------------------
    Charles E. Bishop, Au.D., Ph.D., CCC-A
    Audiologist/Associate Professor
    University of Mississippi Medical Center
    Otolaryngology and Communicative Sciences
    2500 North State Street
    Jackson, MS 39216
    Cebishop@umc.edu
    ------------------------------