Discussion: View Thread

• 1.  What are the biggest challenges you foresee our career field having in the next 20 years?

Posted 12-27-2017 05:07 PM
    Hi everyone, 
    As we approach 2018, I am wondering what kind of challenges you foresee SLPs/AUDs having in the next 20 years? 
    I am asking, because I feel like as a whole, our industry is making a shift. We are seeing more telepractice, more telesupervision if the state allows, more remote...everything? Yet we still struggle with time, reimbursement, etc. Are we all okay with "untimed codes?" Let's open the floor!

How can we get ahead? What would create a giant domino?

------------------------------
    Stephanie Sorrentino, M.S. CCC-SLP
    Pediatric Speech-Language Pathologist
    Clinical Fellowship Coordinator
    North Shore Pediatric Therapy, Inc.
    1308 North Waukegan Road, Suite 103
    Glenview, IL 60025
    Phone: (877) 486-4140, Ext. 2071

Fax: (847) 486-4145
    Direct dial: (847)226-5393
    Email: StephanieS@nspt4kids.com
    www.KidsBlossom.com

• 2.  RE: What are the biggest challenges you foresee our career field having in the next 20 years?

Posted 12-28-2017 10:01 PM
    All,

This is a great question because it is simple to answer. Within the next 20 years we will see a continuing shortage of CSD faculty at training institutions. Two things are happening that act to accelerate each other: (1) the decrease in PhD graduates and (2) the increasing number of MA/MS/AuD programs that CAA is accrediting every year.

The bad news: Programs will close and students will suffer.

The good news: If you have a PhD in the discipline, you will have career mobility like never before. We already see this in that PhDs in audiology are like gold.

Doug

Douglas Parham
    SIG 19 Professional Development Manager
    Associate Professor and Graduate Coordinator
    Wichita State University

• 3.  RE: What are the biggest challenges you foresee our career field having in the next 20 years?

Posted 01-04-2018 11:49 AM
    Edited by Stephanie Sorrentino 01-04-2018 11:52 AM
    Hi Douglas, 
    Wow, what a profound statement. In terms of PhD's, how can we continue to influence more of that achievement so we do not lose in the area of education? I know many people mention that PhD's do not help them with upward mobility in the workplace- but it seems like you're talking about graduate programs, right? 

When I think about achieving my PhD, I get very excited. However, I also become discouraged a bit. What does our field need more experts in? Personally, I LOVE the area of mentorship and supervision, but I become apprehensive about the "teaching" aspect. I'm also confused about how the entire process works. I have many self-limiting beliefs: "what if I'm too young?" "what if I don't achieve the standards of X university?" etc. 

I say these things to help start the conversation because I am ignorant! I want to empower our next generation...but I was not aware of big problems such as the one you describe. Any education you can provide would be helpful!

Thank you for your response and Happy New YEAR!
    Stephanie 

Stephanie Sorrentino, M.S. CCC-SLP
    Pediatric Speech-Language Pathologist
    Clinical Fellowship Coordinator
    North Shore Pediatric Therapy, Inc.
    1308 North Waukegan Road, Suite 103
    Glenview, IL 60025
    Phone: (877) 486-4140, Ext. 2071

Fax: (847) 486-4145
    Direct dial: (847)226-5393
    Email: StephanieS@nspt4kids.com
    www.KidsBlossom.com

• 4.  RE: What are the biggest challenges you foresee our career field having in the next 20 years?

Posted 01-05-2018 11:00 AM
    Stephanie,
    I'm glad to hear that you've been considering a PhD. I know it's a long way away, but there are always a variety of sessions/panels about PhD programs at the ASHA convention. You can get started with info on the ASHA site. You can also contact faculty from your graduate or undergraduate program, or others who you've heard speak at conferences. Most of us are more than happy to provide information & advice.
    The field will benefit from experts in nearly any area, but the best area for you would be the one that excites you the most. A PhD is not for the faint-of-heart, and it is so much easier if you're doing something that you're most interested in... that can include mentorship & supervision.

Career Ladder
    American Speech-Language-Hearing Association remove preview
    Career Ladder
    Careers in academia are both exciting and rewarding. The resources listed here provide information about the issues to weigh when considering PhD study; recommended preparation for PhD students; tips for new faculty, including tenure and promotion in academia; and the value of mentorship along the way.
    View this on American Speech-Language-Hearing Association >

Margaret (Peggy) Blake, Ph.D., CCC-SLP
    University of Houston
    Houston, TX
    SIG2 Coordinating Committee Member

• 5.  RE: What are the biggest challenges you foresee our career field having in the next 20 years?

Posted 01-06-2018 05:41 PM
    Hi Stephanie

The big issue for me in SLP is our relatively low salaries, compared to audiologists (even before AuD)
    and social workers, let alone hospital administrators who also just have master's degree

the result is we are still about 90-95 % female
    My grad students come with very high grade point averages, sometimes 8 years needed with leveling courses, even some with other MA degrees, plus college debt.

We and ASHA has to address the need to negotiate higher salaries !

wonderful discussion

Anne Bedwinek

Anne P. Bedwinek, PhD, CCC-SLP
    Adjunct Associate Professor
    Communication Science & Disorders
    The University of Missouri   bedwineka@health.missouri.edu

Speech-Language Pathologist-Emerita
    Mercy Children's Hospital
    Cleft Lip/Palate & Craniofacial Deformities Team

• 6.  RE: What are the biggest challenges you foresee our career field having in the next 20 years?

Posted 01-08-2018 11:01 PM
    Stephanie - you have already received some excellent responses here.  Mine is a little different - but it is something that is often on my mind especially as we face several "disruptive innovations" in our area (e.g. the issue related to over the counter hearing aids, etc).  I think one of the basic tenets that we must think about and always be at the ready to answer is "what value do we bring to the table".  I am in NO WAY questioning that SLPs and Audiologists add value - BUT we must be able to articulate it.  I often challenge myself to think about what it is that we do that is unique and adds value to the life of the people that we serve?  What do we bring to the table that no one else does (profession specific)?  

I think that regardless of the challenges ahead, we always need to be ready to tell others what we do, and how it adds value to the life of those that we serve.  If we can do this, I believe we can more readily face those challenges head on successfully.  

Donna Smiley

Donna Fisher Smiley, Ph.D., CCC-A
    Audiologist & Audiology Supervisor
    EARS Program @ Arkansas Children's Hospital
    smileydf@archildrens.org