Discussion: View Thread

• 1.  Any input from this community to the CLC?

Posted 01-24-2018 11:28 AM
    On Saturday and Sunday (January 27 and 28), the Committee on Leadership Cultivation (CLC) will meet at the ASHA National Office in Rockville, MD.  The idea of the ASHA Leadership Academy originated in the original CLC and as you know, that idea became a reality this past year (2017).  BIG shout out to ASHA staff who saw this project to fruition.  

As the CLC meets this weekend, we have a list of ideas/projects that we will be discussing as we plan for 2018.  We would love to have some feedback from you - it would be most helpful if you would reply to this discussion so that all could see your input, but if you would prefer to share your message with me (and I can convey it on to the committee) that is fine.  Here are some things to reflect on:

1.  If you have viewed any of the webinars in the Leadership Academy, what are your impressions?  Is the information helpful?  
    2.  Are there topics of interest in the leadership realm that you would like to have more information about in the ASHA Leadership Academy?
    3.  Do you have any general reflections so far on this community and initiative from ASHA on leadership?

Thank you for thinking about these issues - we really would appreciate your feedback and input.

P.S.  In case you want to know exactly what the charge of the CLC is, follow this link for that information as well as a list of the current committee members.  http://www.asha.org/About/governance/committees/CommitteeSmartForms/Committee-on-Leadership-Cultivation/

Donna

------------------------------
    Donna Fisher Smiley, Ph.D., CCC-A
    Audiologist & Audiology Supervisor
    EARS Program @ Arkansas Children's Hospital
    smileydf@archildrens.org

• 2.  RE: Any input from this community to the CLC?

Posted 01-25-2018 05:38 AM

Hi Donna, 

Thank you for requesting our input! 

1.  If you have viewed any of the webinars in the Leadership Academy, what are your impressions?  Is the information helpful?  
    - I just started listening to the webinars this week (first one). I love the information so far. The presenters are clear and knowledgeable. I enjoy the content and appreciate the reflective questions the authors ask. I like being able to pause, process, and apply the information prior to proceeding. 

2.  Are there topics of interest in the leadership realm that you would like to have more information about in the ASHA Leadership Academy?
    - As someone with limited professional leadership experience, the webinar topics fit my needs. 

3.  Do you have any general reflections so far on this community and initiative from ASHA on leadership?
    - I truly appreciate this community. I felt disengaged from happenings at ASHA, and this leadership community has captured my interest, maintained it, and continuiously helps me grow professionally. It has also connected me to other professionals with leadership goals.  I enjoy the daily email updates we receive. I also love the visuals of the leadership academy- hot air balloons! The web design team did a great job!

Keila Gutierrez
    APO, AP

• 3.  RE: Any input from this community to the CLC?

Posted 01-25-2018 09:46 AM
    Hi Donna:
          Thank you for your involvement with CLC, and for sharing so much information for our Leadership Community.  As one of the original members of the CLC, I do have some thoughts.  In the earlier days, one of the initiatives we were working on was the development of a Volunteer Leadership Guide for university programs, to be used by professors for both undergraduate and graduate students.  As part of this module, we felt that an ASHA web site tour should be included to help us navigate through webpages and documents pertaining to leadership, since many professionals (both students and working) are unfamiliar with those aspects of the website.  I know this from my own coursework, but we also know this from results of the 2016 Leadership Survey for Academic Program Directors.  The questions were carefully worked to elicit specific information about the role of universities in empowering potential volunteers and leaders in our field.  And it worked.  Although 93% of university program directors believed that they were motivating students to be involved with volunteer leadership, only 51% were familiar with the "get involved" page of the ASHA website.  

A Volunteer Leadership Guide was discussed, and ideas were generated both in committee and as a result of the 2016 Leadership Survey.  There is so much information on the ASHA website that pertains to leadership development, apart from the Leadership Community--but members need to know how to easily find it.  The webinars and resources are wonderful, however there is a lot more that we can be doing to encourage universities to implement material from the ASHA website into their courses.  

Thanks again for your commitment to our leadership initiative.

Wendy Papir Bernstein
    SLP, ASHA Fellow
    Lehman College, CUNY
    VIce-President NYSSLHA

• 4.  RE: Any input from this community to the CLC?

Posted 01-25-2018 11:20 PM
    Keila and Wendy - thank you both for taking the time to respond to my inquiry.  I truly appreciate your input and you can count on me to put these ideas forward to our committee this weekend.  You both have some valuable input and I am grateful for your ideas (and historical perspective, Wendy). 

THANKS! And have a great weekend!

Donna

Donna Fisher Smiley, Ph.D., CCC-A
    Audiologist & Audiology Supervisor
    EARS Program @ Arkansas Children's Hospital
    smileydf@archildrens.org

• 5.  RE: Any input from this community to the CLC?

Posted 01-26-2018 09:48 PM
    I’ve just watched the webinar on conflict resolution to (hopefully) give me an edge on a big transition meeting. Even though I’ve sat in on many presentations on this topic, the webinar was a great review and makes me feel ready to take on the task.
    I love the community and look forward to meeting others with this interest. Great idea ASHA!

---------------------------------
    Molly Thompson MSCCC-SLP
    Pediatric Speech Language Svs
    part of the Ability Group Consortium
    polarspeech@gmail.com
    Anchorage, Alaska
    ---------------------------------