Discussion: View Thread

• 1.  Developing Specialty Certification for D/HH

Posted 05-03-2018 01:49 PM
    Good afternoon,

I have inquired with ASHA and was told that there is currently no one petitioning for a Clinical Specialty Certification Board for SLPs working with the deaf and hard of hearing population. As we see more and more specialization in our field, I feel this is an area that deserves board recognized certification as it is unique.

I would love your feedback as to whether you feel like this is worthwhile and if you are interested in joining me on this adventure. I have introduced myself here before but I will provide some information on my background. I am currently an SLP working in Rochester, NY at the National Technical Institute for the Deaf at Rochester Institute of Technology. I work one on one with deaf and hard of hearing college students using an adult therapy model, in which students take a leading role in developing their goals. We support students of all communication modalities and backgrounds. My students range from having a deaf family spanning generations using ASL to fully oral students with bilateral cochlear implants. All of our SLPs sign and are able to provide direct instruction. My department teaches communication courses as well. I will be teaching a communication based problem solving course to our students with very low English and general language skills. To learn more about our department visit CSS and to learn more about NTID click here. We also offer an educational website about this population. You can find that at SLPros.  I also have experience working with preschool and middle school age deaf and hard of hearing students in the public schools. 

My goal for petitioning for a Clinical Specialty Certification is to advance this area of knowledge and connect all of the wonderful SLPs working with this population. My wish is that this will be an inclusive certification and not exclusive of communication modality or educational philosophy. It will be differentiated from the Listening and Spoken Language certification from AG Bell.

Please provide your feedback and let me know if you may be interested in joining this effort.

Thank you,

------------------------------
    Nicole Chow M.S., CCC-SLP
    Rochester Institute of Technology/National Technical Institute for the Deaf - LBJ 3843
    Communication Studies & Services Department
    52 Lomb Memorial Drive
    Rochester, NY 14623-5604
    E-mail nlcnca@rit.edu
    Phone 585.475.6227

• 2.  RE: Developing Specialty Certification for D/HH

Posted 05-04-2018 09:08 AM
    I would love to see ASHA take the lead on specialty certification in all areas of hearing disorders including working with patients with hearing loss and balance disorders. 

ErikaShakespeare
    SIG 6 Hearing and Hearing Disorders: Diagnostics and Research
    erika@lagrandehearing.org

• 3.  RE: Developing Specialty Certification for D/HH

Posted 05-07-2018 03:46 PM

Good afternoon!

There is excellent information about specialty certifications on the ASHA website.  This link will guide you as to what's involved in initial steps, requirements, etc. 

ASHA Clinical Specialty Certification

American Speech-Language-Hearing Association remove preview
    ASHA Clinical Specialty Certification
    Description, specialty areas of practice, and qualifications for ASHA's Clinical Specialty Certification.
    View this on American Speech-Language-Hearing Association >

Becky Clem, MA, CCC-SLP, LSLS Cert. AVT
    ASHA SIG 9 Coordinating Council
    Cook Children's Medical Center
    Rehab Services Education Coordinator
    becky.clem@cookchildrens.org
    o-682-303-7462
    c- 817-915-5178

• 4.  RE: Developing Specialty Certification for D/HH

Posted 05-08-2018 12:29 AM
    Thank you. When inquiring if there is an initiative to bring forth specialty certification for working with the d/hh population, I was given the instructional packet with the procedure. I’m looking forward to connecting with others who would like to see this move forward and form a committee.

Nicole

Sent from my iPad