Discussion: View Thread

• 1.  Opportunity for leadership - ASHA Advisory Councils

Posted 11-03-2017 03:04 PM
    Here is our FIRST opportunity for some of you to step up and put yourselves out there for a potential leadership opportunity.  The CALL FOR NOMINATIONS is out for the ASHA Board of Directors and the ASHA Advisory Councils (Speech Language Pathology AND Audiology).  I can hear you all now - "I can't possible serve on the Board of Directors" - and that may be true for some of you (depending on where you are in your leadership journey).  You may want to take a few steps in between here and there :-)  BUT the ASHA Advisory Councils are FANTASTIC ways to get involved and learn more about what is going on in our professions.  I know - I have served on the Audiology Advisory Council (and the older version of this - the Legislative Council).  

The call for nominations for ASHA's Board of Directors and Advisory Councils is open October 17 through December 5, 2017, at 3:00 p.m. ET. Terms of office for these positions are January 1, 2019, through December 31, 2021.   So take a minute and look at the position description for the advisory councils:  https://www.asha.org/About/governance/Advisory-Council-Position-Description/

Then take a look at WHICH states have positions opening up during this cycle (there is a rolling election cycle AND it is different for the 2 different professions:
    Audiology:  https://www.asha.org/About/governance/Audiology-Advisory-Council-Nomination-and-Election-Cycles/
    SLP:    https://www.asha.org/About/governance/Speech-Language-Pathology-Advisory-Council-Nomination-and-Election-Cycles/

This opportunity is a great way to get involved, learn something new, meet new people and give back.  Think about!

Donna

------------------------------
    Donna Fisher Smiley, Ph.D., CCC-A
    Audiologist & Audiology Supervisor
    EARS Program @ Arkansas Children's Hospital
    smileydf@archildrens.org

• 2.  RE: Opportunity for leadership - ASHA Advisory Councils

Posted 11-21-2017 11:06 AM

Hello everyone:

It's so great to see the level of participation and engagement growing on the Leadership Academy Community Site!  I would echo Donna's words with respect to ASHA's Advisory Councils as a great "first step" to becoming involved with ASHA. In fact, my ASHA leadership journey began as a member of the Audiology Advisory Council from my state (Michigan). I was on the Audiology Advisory Council for a few years when I ran for and was elected as Chair of the Council. In that role, I have served on the ASHA Board of Directors for the past 3 years.

When I began my service with the Audiology Advisory Council several years ago, I never imagined myself being Board of Directors "material," but with experience and the knowledge I gained through the Leadership Development Program, this once far-fetched notion became a reality. Truly, the Advisory Councils are an excellent way to become involved with ASHA. You will be "in the know" about our professions and the association, and it may take you places you never imagined!

I hope I've inspired your interest in serving your professional association!  However, don't delay--the call for nominations for is open through December 5 at 3 pm EST. Self-nominations are encouraged!  Take a look at which states have openings for nominations during this election cycle:

Audiology:  https://www.asha.org/About/governance/Audiology-Advisory-Council-Nomination-and-Election-Cycles/
    SLP:    https://www.asha.org/About/governance/Speech-Language-Pathology-Advisory-Council-Nomination-and-Election-Cycles/

Best,
    Margot

Margot Beckerman
    Ann Arbor, MI
    margotbe@med.umich.edu
    ASHA Board of Directors 2015-2017, Chair--Audiology Advisory Council

• 3.  RE: Opportunity for leadership - ASHA Advisory Councils

Posted 11-24-2017 10:45 PM
    Hi all, 
    Should early career members take the leap? 
    Stephanie

Stephanie Sorrentino, M.S. CCC-SLP
    Pediatric Speech-Language Pathologist
    Clinical Fellowship Coordinator
    North Shore Pediatric Therapy, Inc.
    1308 North Waukegan Road, Suite 103
    Glenview, IL 60025
    Phone: (877) 486-4140, Ext. 2071

Fax: (847) 486-4145
    Direct dial: (224) 725-4137
    Email: StephanieS@nspt4kids.com
    www.KidsBlossom.com

• 4.  RE: Opportunity for leadership - ASHA Advisory Councils

Posted 11-28-2017 10:16 AM
    Absolutely!  In fact, this is a great place for early career professionals to dip "your toe in the water".  The AC's are an excellent way to get involved initially.  There is some predictability on the time commitment.  So I say "GO FOR IT"!

Donna

smileydf@archildrens.org

• 5.  RE: Opportunity for leadership - ASHA Advisory Councils

Posted 11-28-2017 02:53 PM

​Hi Stephanie:

My answer is a resounding "YES!"  The Advisory Councils are a great way to become involved with ASHA.  Our current Audiology Advisory Council has a diverse representation of members from different age cohorts, number years in the profession, and practice/workplace settings.  Having this diverse group of members provides many different perspectives as the Advisory Council examines issues and provides input to the Board of Directors.  Early Career Professionals provide a unique perspectives and we need you! 

Best,
    Margot

Margot Beckerman
    Ann Arbor, MI
    margotbe@med.umich.edu

• 6.  RE: Opportunity for leadership - ASHA Advisory Councils

Posted 12-01-2017 02:58 PM
    Oh goodness! I have been working on my application for the Leadership Development Program. How do I decide between the two?! Time? <g class="gr_ gr_133 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" id="133" data-gr-id="133">Oh</g> I am so excited!

Glenview, IL 60025

Email: StephanieS@nspt4kids.com
    www.KidsBlossom.com

• 7.  RE: Opportunity for leadership - ASHA Advisory Councils

Posted 12-01-2017 03:04 PM
    Go for both!  :-)

Donna

smileydf@archildrens.org

• 8.  RE: Opportunity for leadership - ASHA Advisory Councils

Posted 12-01-2017 03:26 PM

Ditto what Donna said!  BUT with this caveat:  You know yourself and your time and energy commitments the best, so use your best judgement.  I know I have at times been caught saying "yes" to too many things at once and then winding up overwhelmed because my plate is too full-with no one to blame but myself!  Evaluate all of your commitments, both personal and professional.  If you have the bandwidth to take on both LDP and AC, there's no reason you can't do both of these at the same time.  Having done both, I can tell you that Advisory Council will likely require a few hours per month (with the exception of the month when the face-to-face meeting is held, usually in March).  LDP will require a few more hours of time per month between working on your leadership project and attending the webinars and calls with your learning team.  Give it some thought-I'm confident that you'll make the right choice for you! 

--Margot

Electronic Mail is not secure, may not be read every day, and should not be used for urgent or sensitive issues

• 9.  RE: Opportunity for leadership - ASHA Advisory Councils

Posted 12-03-2017 11:40 PM
    Margot and Donna, 
    Thank you so much for your encouragement. I actually think I want to do only the Leadership Development Program, for now. I tend to get overwhelmed with more than one thing. Now, Donna, that's not to say I won't do more in the future! It feels great that both of you have such confidence in a young professional!
    I think narrowing it down will help me get acquainted with all ASHA has to offer. I also know that there are MANY people I will meet and MANY people that I can learn from. My biggest fear is that I won't be chosen for next year's cohort-but I guess if our dreams don't scare us they're not big enough? 

Hope to talk soon!

Glenview, IL 60025