Discussion: View Thread

Leadership Insight

• 1.  Leadership Insight

Posted 09-13-2018 04:32 PM

I have looked forward to this opportunity to contribute to the leadership development of fellow ASHA members through the Leadership Academy Community!

As ASHA members and professionals in this field, we wear many hats. For me - within this profession - I wear the hat of a speech-language pathologist, researcher, expert in fluency and fluency disorders, and associate professor. But, over the years, I have been able to add "leader" to the list. Whether through formal modes or informal occasions, we all have the opportunity to  lead. We also have control over 'how' we lead. So, I want to share some leadership tips that have helped cultivate my leadership development. It is my hope that I share something that can be useful along your leadership journey.

1. Execute your current role well
      • A great leader focuses on their current roles and responsibilities as part of a team instead of affixing their time and energy pursuing the next leadership position of interest to them. I have found that while performing in a certain capacity, although it may go unsaid, someone is observing how well you are handling your current responsibilities. That person may just be a 'door' to a future opportunity. Send the message to those around you that you are working to do your best in your current role. That will be the evidence needed to demonstrate your capability of handling other responsibilities at another level.
    2. Lead through the good and the bad
      • As a leader, there is no issue with leading during times when all is well. But, the true test comes when having to lead during bad times or through challenging situations. It comes with the territory! Expect there to be highs and lows with leading. A great leader will stand side-by-side on the frontlines with those they lead good times and bad.
    3. How you say it is more important than what you say
      • I know this goes without saying, but how we send a message to those we communicate with is arguably more important than the actual message. Send messages to those you lead in a way that suggests positivity, interest, and professionalism. We also vary in our preferred mode of communication. Some prefer direct verbal communication, while others may prefer written communication. Truly considering how those around you communicate and how their mode of communication may differ from yours goes a long way as an effective leadership skill.
    4. You represent those you lead
      • Leaders represent those they lead. This is a big responsibility. In a leadership capacity, you become synonymous with the group you lead. Therefore, be mindful of your interactions with others and how you 'appear' to represent those you lead. 
    5. Motivate those you lead
      • Leadership is different than dictatorship. Leadership is different than management. Effective leadership is more about your ability to guide and motivate the group to perform. Motivate by celebrating successes, praising productivity, giving credit to the team or team members for their contributions. Make it a point to give credit to others for successes, but be ready and willing to take responsibilities for failures. Capitalize on the skill sets of those you lead and recognize potential in individuals. Sometimes those we lead may not realize their potential or be confident in their ability to contribute. Be that cheerleader to encourage potential when you see it. And get to know more about each individuals' long-term goals within the group. Having a person matched with tasks or roles based on their skill, potential and individual goals makes for an energized and effective team.
    6. Lead based on what is best for the greater good
      • Often we are faced with difficult situations or challenging obstacles as leaders. While passion is important, I find it best to lead and make decisions based on what is best for the team. Emotions aside, personal feelings aside, make decisions that meet the purpose and perpetuity of the group. It is easy to make decisions when everyone is in agreement. But, how do we handle those moments where conflicting opinions are strong and reasonable, moments where individual passions collide, moments where longstanding collegial relationships are involved? As a leader, consider with feelings aside, what will ensure that the group meets the goals and purpose before them.

I'd like to thank Dr. Augustine for this invitation to share and providing me with motivation to reflect on my own leadership skills.

And remember.....Leaders never stop developing!

Enjoy the rest of your week!

Kia

------------------------------
    Kia Noelle Johnson, Ph.D., CCC-SLP
    Associate Professor
    Dept. of Communication Sci. & Disorders
    University of Houston
    100 Clinic Research Center
    Houston, TX 77204-6018
    Office: 713-743-6777
    Kjohnson6@uh.edu
    ------------------------------