Discussion: View Thread

• 1.  Self-Assessment not surprising

Posted 10-31-2017 08:05 AM
    Hi Everyone!

First, let me say that I am so excited to part of this community. I cannot wait to see where we go with it!

In my current position as a clinical faculty member I spend a lot of my leadership time interacting with student clinicians. My role is help prepare them to be competent clinicians who can think on their feet and provide quality care. According to the self-assessment, my leadership style ended up being a double - Coaching and Participative. This score was not a big surprise since those are the two primary ways I lead (supervise). I focus on both "building capacity in their followers through coaching, mentoring and training" as well as "engaging to foster teamwork and build consensus." 

I hope others will post their results, too. It will be interesting to see if there are any trends on one hand and how diverse we are as a group on the other.  Here's hoping we all contribute and benefit from participation in this community.

Regards,

------------------------------
    Chip Hahn, MS, AuD, CCC-A/SLP
    Clinical Faculty
    Miami University
    hahnac@miamioh.edu

• 2.  RE: Self-Assessment not surprising

Posted 10-31-2017 10:30 AM
    Hi Chip and other community members,

I am so glad that you shared your leadership style preferences with us all.  It encouraged me to complete the indicator questionnaire for myself.  My top two "styles" are the same as yours, Coaching and Participative.   I cannot say that I achieve these styles 100% of the time, but they do match my personal intentions with my work team AND with students who I precept.  Over my career I have learned that, for me, the most important skills that I can model/teach for others is critical problem solving.  For example, as a school-based audiologist, I know that the hearing technology (i.e. FM/DM, soundfield, hearing aids, CI's) that I work with in schools will change (quickly).  But if I can use good clinical problem solving skills (which include having the phone numbers to the manufacturer's help desks), then I can figure it out.  I hope that my leadership style continues to reflect this desire to coach others and to allow participation in the leadership of our work team.

Like Chip, I am interested in what other leadership styles we have in our community.  Take the assessment and then share your outcome here with us.  

Donna Smiley 
    Member, ASHA Committee on Leadership Cultivation

Donna Fisher Smiley, Ph.D., CCC-A
    Audiologist & Audiology Supervisor
    EARS Program @ Arkansas Children's Hospital
    smileydf@archildrens.org

• 3.  RE: Self-Assessment not surprising

Posted 10-31-2017 01:49 PM
    Chip and Donna, how cool that you are getting involved here and learning more about different leadership styles!  I completed the Leadership Development Program in May,  and one of my takeaways that I don't want to get missed in this discussion is that the Leadership styles are like tools in a toolbox.  The ones we prefer are our default tools,  and Coaching and Participative are styles that work well in many of our settings.  Mine may be the same, and I remember learning that it's important to learn about the other styles,  because as leaders we are likely to have an opportunity in which another style may be more effective for the development of our team or to achieve a particular goal.  When we have an understanding of all the different styles,  we become better able to adapt our leadership when needed,  like in transition or when navigating a potential conflict.  I'm certain the webinar on this topic covers it more fully.  I am enjoying the opportunity to keep this information fresh through this discussion!

Sarah Monahan, MS, CCC-SLP
    International Falls, MN

• 4.  RE: Self-Assessment not surprising

Posted 10-31-2017 02:07 PM
    Sarah - what a GREAT reminder that the strengths that we have are tools BUT we do need to learn from our "weak" areas too.  As I look at the inventory and read about the areas that I "prefer" less, I see attributes that I wish I had.  For example, sometimes I wish that I was better at delegating and releasing.  

Thanks for your input here and I appreciate that you made me think differently about this than I may have at first. 

Donna

smileydf@archildrens.org

• 5.  RE: Self-Assessment not surprising

Posted 11-01-2017 09:05 AM
    Hi, all!

As a past participant in the Leadership Development Program, I too am excited to see ASHA continue to encourage and provide resources to support continued leadership development and application of emotional intelligence.  I'm very interested in continuing to educate myself to add to my leadership toolbox, as Sarah stated.  After completing the Leadership Styles Self-Assessment, I tend to default to "Directive" and "Pacesetting" styles.  I recognize that because of my high standards, I do tend to assume the bulk of the work/responsibilities and I can become frustrated and stressed when I'm somewhat unable to impress the magnitude of the end result upon others.  I welcome the opportunity to learn more about adjusting my own style to be more accommodating towards the needs/styles of others and to encourage more participatory teamwork.

So glad to be joining this community!

Santia Sims, MA, CCC-SLP
    Ann Arbor, MI

• 6.  RE: Self-Assessment not surprising

Posted 11-21-2017 10:21 AM
    Santia,

It is nice to "see" you here.  I love that many of the LDP graduates are still seeking to grow their leadership skills and experiences.  I appreciated your comments about your "go to style" and can relate to it also.  I tend to take on more than I should and I don't always allow others to help me.  I am looking forward to learning some delegation skills as well. 

Happy Thanksgiving!
    Donna

smileydf@archildrens.org