Discussion: View Thread

• 1.  Thinking LOCAL! Share your ideas

Posted 03-06-2018 11:03 PM
    Leadership Academy Community Members,

One of the initiatives of the ASHA Committee on Leadership Cultivation (CLC) is to provide members with some example of profiles and pathways of leadership. We want to share many of the different ways that one might develop his/her leadership skills especially within the professions of Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology. Over the next few months, we will be sharing more details of this initiative. BUT for now, I wonder if you might be willing to share something with us?

There are SO MANY different ways and varying levels at which one can participate in leading and developing leadership skills. Sometimes people think that you have to be President of an organization to be considered a leader – BUT that isn't realistic (or practical) in the real world.

My BEST example of local leadership/volunteerism is that for the last several years, I have made it a point to reach out to whoever is planning our state speech-language-hearing association meeting and offer to help them in identifying and recruiting an out of state speaker in the area of Audiology/Hearing. I help them generate ideas for good topics/speakers and then I commit to help them in showing the invited speaker our wonderful Arkansas hospitality while they are in our state for the convention. I don't wait for them to call me – I offer. I like this type of "leadership" task because I know that it is needed and I know that it has a beginning and an end. I think it works out for all involved.

Leadership is needed in the workplace, in your local community, in your state, in your region AND yes, in your national organization. What are some ways that have become involved (as a leader or a volunteer) in your workplace? In your local community? In your state? (if you haven't done these things – then share something that you COULD do and then make a commitment to do it!).

Donna

------------------------------
    Donna Fisher Smiley, Ph.D., CCC-A
    Audiologist & Audiology Supervisor
    EARS Program @ Arkansas Children's Hospital
    smileydf@archildrens.org

• 2.  RE: Thinking LOCAL! Share your ideas

Posted 03-16-2018 01:25 PM
    Donna,
    Thanks for sharing this post and I think you bring up some great ways to get involved without "waiting for a call." I'm new in audiology and at my place of employment there are two other more experienced audiologists. First, we all have a great working relationship which helps in doing something new or different. We have interns come to our school to learn, practice and develop their skills and our Audiology Center has a lot of opportunities to be exposed to various aspects of audiology. One thing that I noticed was that because of our population, some (what I perceive of as basic) aspects of audiology aren't practiced as much as it would in a traditional clinic or hospital.  For example, in a clinic, a child comes in with a perceived hearing difficulty, is assessed, and the family is counseled on the results. Well, our children have been tested a billion times over and their parents aren't here so it all goes in a report (unless there is something that needs to be talked about).  There are some other aspects that I felt that once a student leaves here and without continued practice, that basic skill will not be as strong as it needed to be before they moved on to their next placement.  Although our intern program is fine, I decided (with the approval of my supervisors) to develop an "academic/clinical" program to address some of these less worked aspects at our school.  So there is now a "formal" program with practical exercises and discussions so skills don't wither away during the few months they are here.  The interns have a schedule so they know what to expect so we just don't surprise them with an acoustic reflex practical exercise out of no where. This is the first semester this is being implemented and it seems to be going well and we will just refine the program as we go along and see what works and what doesn't....but it's something more I can do to help my place of employment and help supplement our interns clinical and education experience while here. 
    Thanks again and I look forward to hearing how others are contributing at a local level in taking the initiative.
    Dave

David Alexander, AuD, CCC-A
    Maryland School for the Deaf - Educational Audiologist

• 3.  RE: Thinking LOCAL! Share your ideas

Posted 03-19-2018 07:48 AM
    David - really impressive initiative you have taken to improve the professional development of interns!

Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in or attached to this email contains confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this email is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete the email immediately. Thank you.

• 4.  RE: Thinking LOCAL! Share your ideas

Posted 03-19-2018 09:14 AM
    I believe community service is a great way to promote the profession. We have the knowledge and skills to serve in a number of roles for community agencies. I have served on the board of a local association for Down syndrome. I actually started helping them by teaching the parents communication strategies to enhance their interactions with the little ones. They kept inviting me back and then asked me to help in other ways, I currently oversee a competitive grant competition "Technology for Teachers" that awards iPads from the Association to classroom teachers serving children with special needs to increase access to the curriculum. I think someone said this very recently on a post, that leadership often arises from a need, and this is so true! 
    kelly

Kelly Kleinhans, Ph.D. CCC/SLP
    Associate Professor
    Murray State University
    Murray KY

• 5.  RE: Thinking LOCAL! Share your ideas

Posted 03-21-2018 10:53 PM
    Dave and Kelly - thank you both for sharing your local leadership initiatives.  I love that they are diverse, but that both are great examples of serving locally.  One of the easiest ways to serve is to look around in our own workplaces and communities to see needs that need to be filled.  I would love to hear from others out there!  What are some ways that have become involved (as a leader or a volunteer) in your workplace? In your local community? In your state?  Dave and Kelly have given me some NEW ways to think about leading locally.

Donna

Donna Fisher Smiley, Ph.D., CCC-A
    Audiologist & Audiology Supervisor
    EARS Program @ Arkansas Children's Hospital
    smileydf@archildrens.org

• 6.  RE: Thinking LOCAL! Share your ideas

Posted 03-22-2018 09:02 AM
    Great topic! I love your idea David. I also serve as a supervisor for 4th year AuD residents and would love to speak to you further about what you are doing at your facility. I am also working on my leadership skills by serving as chair of the Early Career Professionals Committee with ADA. 
    One of my bucket list activities is to enroll in John Maxwell's leadership training program. Time and finances do not allow for this currently but I'm excited for the future opportunity. Has anyone else been involved in this program?

Christina Lemley
    Blacksville, WV